Engine Coolant Temp sensor

pdl2mdl

I have a 3.6L 2013 Dodge Journey.  I read an error code of p0128.  The coolant level is fine, the car does not take an overly long time to warm up, nor is it over heating.  I'm surmising that the issue is with the ECT.  I've been told it's a part of the oil filter assembly, but am seeing no way of accessing it.  Has anyone changed the ECT and can tell me how to do it?

specifically, p0128, is coolant temperature below thermostat regulating temp, which could be any of a number of issues.  I don't believe it is the thermostat at this time because I'm not having any running issues (over heating, under heating, failure/difficulty in shifting at freeway speeds).

• 4 months later...

P0128 indicates (in order): failed/failing thermostat, failed engine coolant temperature sensor, PCM update needed, low coolant, radiator fan not turning off, or faulty intake air temperature.

Thermostat can be tested "the old fashioned way" - squeeze the coolant hose (between thermostat and radiator) while the engine is cold - you should hear coolant moving and push the radiator cap, and you should see the overflow bottle level change as you do this.  Get the engine up to temp (10 minutes of driving should be more than enough) and touch the hose - it should uncomfortably hot, but not hot enough to burn (too quickly).  This is, of course, assuming you haven't paid someone to do that part already.

2013 Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor should be part 5149077AB.  https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Chrysler-5149077AB-Coolant-Temperature/dp/B00FYHR5DY

That part is not a piece of the oil filter housing.  Removal is a matter of locating the sensor (straight from a repair manual: "The Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) sensor on the 3.6L engine is installed into a water jacket at rear of the cylinder head on the left side of the engine. "), remove the cable, and unbolt it from the engine block (deep socket, not sure what size).  You'll need to partially drain coolant before you remove it.  Depending on your mileage, it might be time to think about a coolant flush anyway.  Otherwise, drain a gallon, then re-fill with new coolant (50/50 mix) when you have the sensor re-installed.

Installation is pretty straightforward - just put everything back together.  11 N*m (8 ft.lbs.) to install.  Use a PTFE thread sealant.  Add coolant, purge air, and you should be done.