First Dodge Ever

PrinterWiz

Hello everyone! I just purchased my first dodge product in years, a 2014 Dodge Journey SXT Blacktop. I believe the last Chrysler product I owned was a 1989 Chrysler Lebaron turbo coupe, and before that two K cars, a Reliant wagon and a four door Lebaron.

In my distant past, I was a tune-up mechanic, and then a manager at a Midas franchise. I'm more than comfortable doing a lot of the basic maintenance and general repairs on my own vehicles. I've already had to put tools to my Dodge, and that's why I'm registering with the forum. I have the Hands Free System Loading Message and the Uconnect system is not working properly. I plan to start a thread to share my experience and seek advice.

How I ended up owning a Dodge Journey is quite an interesting story. I drive about 100 miles a day to and from work, mostly tollway. I carpool with a guy that lives by me so we trade off week to week. My tollway car was a 2001 Cadillac SLS that I bought on CL for $5k with 53k miles on it. Really clean, beautiful car, everything works. I ran it up to 75k with usual cadillac issues. Of course with all vintage Cadillacs it eventually needed major expensive work, to the tune of just about $2000. I didn't have it out of the shop a full week before some guy driving another cadillac t-boned me. He was at fault, admitted it, but unfortunately his insurance company is probably the worst I've ever had to deal with, and the car is totaled. The accident was on 11/19 and I'm still waiting for them to make me an offer, which won't be much anyway. 

Meanwhile, my wife was driving a 2003 Mustang, which was starting to show some age. We were going to replace it with an SUV soon. The mustang had been making a noise from the rear end and which turned out to be coming from inside the differential. The dealer wanted to rebuild the diff to the tune of $2300 and I just didn't want to spend it. They offered me $2k on a trade in for it, which for a base v6 with rust wasn't bad to me. My wife decided to buy a brand new Focus, but only if they gave us a good deal on an SUV which they did.

It was probably one of the cleanest used SUV's on the lot, but it had those 19 inch wheels on it and the tires were shot. They had a 2016 Journey on the lot they had bought from auction with brand new tires on it and the 17 inch alloys. I told them the only way I would take it is if they swapped the wheels from the 2016 to mine. I really didn't want to break up the Blacktop package but I'm using it as a tollway vehicle so the bigger wheels and tires were not practical at all. I couldn't believe they did it. Everything was going great until I decided to pair my smartphone.

I have read around on the net about the problem I'm having and I hope to post my experience in case it helps someone else.