Pull a ski boat?

crh47

I have a Caravelle 17' ski boat. My 2001 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab with a 3.3L V6 pulls it fine. I never pull it far...we have it in storage about 5 miles from where we dock. I know the Dodge website claims 3,500 lbs, but I was wondering if anybody has real world numbers of what you have pulled with your Journey???

I have a Caravelle 17' ski boat. My 2001 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab with a 3.3L V6 pulls it fine. I never pull it far...we have it in storage about 5 miles from where we dock. I know the Dodge website claims 3,500 lbs, but I was wondering if anybody has real world numbers of what you have pulled with your Journey???

Dodge has always been "odd" in the fact that they are proud to advertise the towing capacity of all their models. Heck, my dad owned a first model year 1993 Dodge Intrepid. It was rated at (if my memory serves me) 3500 lbs. We towed a 12 foot travel trailer, a boat, two snowmobiles etc. We had good success towing these (for perspective, we were towing in the flat lands, not the mountains.) But we often towed 100 miles at a time (sometimes much longer with the camper)

So, I wouldn't worry too much about the towing capacity of the journey as long as its under the weight recommendations. Dodge prides itself on towing. Heck, they advertised towing capacity of our neon. What other compact car manufacturer even puts towing capacities of their vehicles in the brochure.

• 1 year later...

When I bought my Journey I made sure it had the tow prep package and and I had a Curt Class III hitch installed. It's looks good with no cutting required. I've been towing my toy trailer that I put 3 quads and 2 motorcycles on. The total weight is approximately 2,900 lbs. I haven't had any issues towing. I've been averaging 14-16 MPG towing, which is great. I use the autostick as recommended in the owners manual and never shift into 6th, leaving it in 5th cruising down the road. I keep the RPM's between 2000-4000 RPM. It pulls the weight just fine. I'm very happy. :dog:

When I bought my Journey I made sure it had the tow prep package and and I had a Curt Class III hitch installed. It's looks good with no cutting required. I've been towing my toy trailer that I put 3 quads and 2 motorcycles on. The total weight is approximately 2,900 lbs. I haven't had any issues towing. I've been averaging 14-16 MPG towing, which is great. I use the autostick as recommended in the owners manual and never shift into 6th, leaving it in 5th cruising down the road. I keep the RPM's between 2000-4000 RPM. It pulls the weight just fine. I'm very happy. :dog:

When you use the Autostick do you start out with the indicator in 5th gear or do you have to after each stop shift manualy to 1st 2nd 3rd 4th and 5th? Also when in 5th gear and you go up a hill will it downshift or do you have to do it youself?Haven't tried any of this yet. Thanks

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hey there, I'm considering a Dodge Journey, and I'd love to hear from those of you who launch boats regularly.

What's the approximate weight of your boat (or just length/description if you don't know)?

Do you have a FWD or AWD Journey?

Any trouble on the boat launch ramps?

Traction issues with FWD's and big boats?

AWD not xferring torque appropriately to the rear when slippery?

I'm trying to decide if the Journey or Traverse is my next vehicle: I need to launch/pullout a ~3200 lbs boat with trailer brakes (hydraulic, surge-activated) on a wet, grassy ramp.

Interesting info: my 2.4l 4 cyl Jeep Patriot FD1 CVT can pull this boat out when locked in 50/50 4WD... It's a slow pull, and the vehicle is only rated for 2000 lbs.... But my Grand Caravan FWD doesn't have the traction.

Hey there, I'm considering a Dodge Journey, and I'd love to hear from those of you who launch boats regularly.

What's the approximate weight of your boat (or just length/description if you don't know)?

Do you have a FWD or AWD Journey?

Any trouble on the boat launch ramps?

Traction issues with FWD's and big boats?

AWD not xferring torque appropriately to the rear when slippery?

I'm trying to decide if the Journey or Traverse is my next vehicle: I need to launch/pullout a ~3200 lbs boat with trailer brakes (hydraulic, surge-activated) on a wet, grassy ramp.

Interesting info: my 2.4l 4 cyl Jeep Patriot FD1 CVT can pull this boat out when locked in 50/50 4WD... It's a slow pull, and the vehicle is only rated for 2000 lbs.... But my Grand Caravan FWD doesn't have the traction.

I have a AWD R/T and tow a 20 foot pontoon boat. Boat, trailer and gear is probably close to 3,000 lbs. Normal tow distance is less than a mile. Boat launch is loose gravel and I have never had a problem. A neighbour does have problems pulling his boat out with a FWD Caravan.