Rubbing/Grinding from front right in Left Turns Only

Scrram

Hi, I bought a 2013 Journey about a year ago in January.  In May I started to notice a rubbing/grinding noise coming from the passenger side front end of the car while accelerating through very mild left curves on certain roads.  It would happen going through the turns in the same spots on the same roads, but not on other similar left curves.  Took it to the dealership and the tech could not replicate the noise.  From May to November, the noise has gotten progressively worse.  It happens on more and more left hand turns, mostly when driving a little fast and while accelerating.  Take your foot off of the accelerator and the noise dies down to a stop.  Push the accelerator harder through the turn and the noise increases more and more the more you increase speed while turning.  The noise does not happen anymore on the roads in the spots where it was first heard in May.  In November I took it back to the dealer, and replicated the noise for the service manager.  After 4 days, they could not pin down a cause.  On the last day they claimed they "traced the noise to the left front axle shaft", which they replaced, and they said it corrected the noise.  That was not true.  I got the car to do the noise on the way home that night!!!  It is still there and it is increasingly worse since the so called repair.  There is also a hollow knock sound that happens mostly when going down a neighborhood street at a slower speed and rolling over small bumps (bumps you don't even really see).  AND there is a springy squeak when pulling into a driveway over a hump, or coming to a stoplight with a bump or pothole in the road (have to be going pretty slow over a bump or into a hole, or you don't hear it) Took the car to another dealer yesterday who inspected the car and did not see anything wrong.  They heard the noise and recommended I rotate the rear tires to the front since the rear were in much better shape.  Well, I did that today, noise is still there.  I even added power steering fluid since it sounds similar to the grind some people on this forum complained about on the 2008 which was traced to the power steering pump.  NOISE IS STILLTHERE!!  This is so frustrating.  The car is ours free and clear now and I could not sell it to someone right now if I tried.  I feel stuck with a lemon.  I fear for the safety of my kids every time I drive it.  I called the Chrysler Protection Plan that I paid for AND Dodge customer service and they are no help.  Please someone out there help!!  They even checked for a rock behind the heat shield and that was not the cause.  The wheel is not turned all the way to the lock position for it to happen, more at the 9 to 10 o'clock position.  It has gotten so bad that now if I am accelerating from the right lane to the left to try to pass a car, it can be heard mildly while changing lanes sometimes but not as reliable as when in a turn.  Also, the noise is NEVER present from the left side while turning right.  Thank you for any input.  I am 7 months pregnant, this is my daily driver and I am at my wits end!!!!

sounds like you need to change the front hubs , if the passenger side is going the drivers side should be changed too.. left hand turns puts more preasure on that hub.  if it was making noise on right hand turns then suspect the drivers side hub the squeak is from the sway bar bushings which is is very easy to fix and cheap. 

best way is to raise the car up on jacks and jack stands and push pull pry etc to see what's loose. 

ball joints , sway bar end links etc but the growling i bet is your front hub bearings getting worn ... it's not a hard job to your self either , 

find a trusted shop (non dealer) ... but bottom line is your front hub is bad...

Edited by Dusty256

• 3 weeks later...

One post wonders tend to pop up when there's a problem and someone is searching for an answer they haven't found yet....

I actually bought a 2016 Journey back in August and started experiencing the same issue within weeks of purchasing it.  Took it in, dealership couldn't replicate it.  Took it back in, said it was defective half shafts, so the dealer replaced them.  Immediately found that it did not solve the problem so I brought it back in and they greased the half shafts, no fix.  Brought it back and they got with Chrysler Technical, told them to re-grease them (???), no fix.  Brought it back in, Technical had them replace bushings for the stabilizer bar, they called me back and said that the noise now almost sounds like its coming from the transmission (again, ????).  Technical has them now replacing the wheel bearings, but did not sound confident in that solution and waiting to hear the outcome.  2 weeks in the shop for their most recent repairs/diagnosis.

Vehicle with 8,500, mostly highway miles on it.   I'm at a loss myself.

Ok, was waiting to update until I had a solution to share, I don't.  But I will say they have replaced both wheel hubs, the struts and mounts, the front right and left axleshafts, and the drive shaft with no improvement and they are putting a new transfer case on it today.  It has been in the shop since Dec 26th.  We have had the luck to have a real go-getter tech assigned to the car and he seems to have taken it on as his pet project.  Hope he can figure it out soon.  Maybe they will never be able to fix it and will offer to buy it back from me, HA!  Cjtom, if they get yours fixed please let me know! I will do the same!!

Oh and Cjtom,  you're EXACTLY RIGHT!  

"One post wonders tend to pop up when there's a problem and someone is searching for an answer they haven't found yet...."

Edited by Scrram

Just got off the phone with my dealership, wheel bearing replacement was unsuccessful in resolving the issue.  They ordered "Chassis Ears" to try to further diagnose the problem (coming in Tuesday or Wednesday) and they do not sound confident that they will solve it (been in for 2 weeks now for this most recent set of attempts). 

This clearly doesn't seem to be a Journey-wide problem, as this thread is the first one I've seen with this problem, but boy is it troublesome.  I've had my share of both Dodge and Ford vehicles, problems arise with almost every vehicle, but I've never run into anything like this.  Particularly on a vehicle that is all of 4 months old.  

I've reached out to Chrysler Customer Service, at advisement by the dealership, to try to come to a resolution.  I'm sure they're getting sick and tired of seeing this thing in there, automakers "billable hours" never come close to the amount of time a service department actually works on a vehicle, especially with some mystery problem.

Okay, I hope I am not posting this prematurely but I think they fixed the issue!!! They replace the TRANSFER CASE.  "Power Transfer Case, or PTC" is what is listed on the work order.  We have driven the car since yesterday and took it through a turn where it was guaranteed 100% of the time to produce the noise and it performed normally.  Cjtom, maybe talk to your mechanic and see if that could be a possibility for your vehicle.  Ours is AWD if that makes and difference.  I am curious to see what your issue is, so if you get a resolution please post here, maybe we can help someone else in the future.  IF the noise comes back I will definitely get back on here and update the post.  Good luck!!

8 hours ago, Cjtom said:

I'm glad to hear that the problem appears to be resolved!

Mine is still in the shop (day 16 of the 5th time in service) and I'm awaiting the chassis ears to come in so they can try to diagnose it.  Who knows how this will go!

are they providing you a loner or free rental since its in the shop?

15 hours ago, 2late4u said:

are they providing you a loner or free rental since its in the shop?

Yes.  Other than some slightly poor communication (having to call for any updates), they've been good with providing a loaner for each trip back in and doing everything they can to figure this out. 

Looks like the PTC (transfer case) seemed to do the trick.  I've yet to experience the grinding condition since they got the car back to me.  

I'll keep a very watchful eye out for this, but it seems to have fixed it.  The RO stated there were metal shavings in the transfer case that they took out. 

• 2 weeks later...

The problem with diagnosing sounds coming from underneath the vehicle is that they could be coming from anywhere (unless you've heard the exact pitch before, and know precisely how to duplicate it - like wheel bearings or CV joints, which are quite distinct and relatively easy to duplicate).  When those steps don't work, you need a better mechanic with more precise tools (chassis ears: https://www.amazon.com/STEELMAN-97202-Wireless-ChassisEAR-Diagnostic/dp/B00123J79O - think wireless stethoscope for cars - for $200, it's a bit out of the range of a typical shade-tree mechanic, but for a dealership it ought to be standard equipment).

Glad to hear you both got your car issues resolved!

On 2/2/2017 at 10:24 AM, bfurth said:

The problem with diagnosing sounds coming from underneath the vehicle is that they could be coming from anywhere (unless you've heard the exact pitch before, and know precisely how to duplicate it - like wheel bearings or CV joints, which are quite distinct and relatively easy to duplicate).  When those steps don't work, you need a better mechanic with more precise tools (chassis ears: https://www.amazon.com/STEELMAN-97202-Wireless-ChassisEAR-Diagnostic/dp/B00123J79O - think wireless stethoscope for cars - for $200, it's a bit out of the range of a typical shade-tree mechanic, but for a dealership it ought to be standard equipment).

Glad to hear you both got your car issues resolved!

The chassis ears seemed to be what did the trick.  The dealership I had been working with had to order them, but once they came in and they got to use them, they were able to diagnose the PTC being the source of the problem quickly.  Until that point, the dealership was completely lost, as was Chrysler

• 4 years later...

I have this same issue now. I've been replacing suspension parts that I knew needed to be replaced. Now I replaced all my troubled parts and it's silent except for making certain left turns I hear this grinding and feel it in the middle. No other noises from the car. I seem some of what has to come off. That cradle is going to be a pain in the butt for me to do. Glad I found this in here. Did you also have any issues when accelerating from a stop and hear a vibrating noise?

On 2/6/2017 at 11:50 AM, Cjtom said:

The chassis ears seemed to be what did the trick.  The dealership I had been working with had to order them, but once they came in and they got to use them, they were able to diagnose the PTC being the source of the problem quickly.  Until that point, the dealership was completely lost, as was Chrysler

I have this same issue now. I've been replacing suspension parts that I knew needed to be replaced. Now I replaced all my troubled parts and it's silent except for making certain left turns I hear this grinding and feel it in the middle. No other noises from the car. I seem some of what has to come off. That cradle is going to be a pain in the butt for me to do. Glad I found this in here. Did you also have any issues when accelerating from a stop and hear a vibrating noise?

Metal shavings in the ptu oil was mentioned. Could check for it first with dump and fill, refill through vent tube easiest.

Just under a quart of 75w90 oil in unit.

Removing drive shaft might take load off gear box, also prove noise source. People have driven without shaft temporarily in two wheel drive.  Dump rear diff oil as well and make sure it’s ok before fixing front ptu. Normal for some fur on drain plug magnet, but no large metal shavings.

• 10 months later...

I too had this same strange grinding noise when turning corners and when going up hill. This problem seemed to appear out of nowhere.

I found that the source of the problem was a broken engine mount on the passenger side. As soon as I replaced it, the grinding noise went away.

Apparently the engine was shifting because of the broken mount, and this was causing the grinding noise.