Belt rubbing on tensioner arm

Giovinazza

After changing out the serpentine belt, I noticed some belt whine.  Not really noticing what it is, I had the pulley on the tensioner replaced and the pulley after the alternator replaced.  I also had a new alternator thrown in just to make sure the problem was fixed. And, nope. still the belt whine.  It was when the mechanic showed me (not a dealer mechanic) that the belt was actually rubbing on the tensioner arm a little bit and that is what is making the whining sound. I am open to suggestions as to how to fix this issue.  Longer / shorter belt? Grind a bit of metal off of the tensioner arm?  It is driving me nuts.  It is a bit had to see in the picture, but, the belt is rubbing ever so slightly on the tensioner.

Belt tensioner arm rubbing.jpg

changing to a longer or shorter belt is not the answer, the answer is to find out what has changed to make it rub as it didnt rub before till you had problems with it. the answer i dont know but you need to find out what is making it rub something is out of alignment. i dont know how you replaced the pulley on the tensioner  as it usually comes all in one piece. 

If you can see in the picture, the rotating part on the tensioner arm is new.  The arm itself is old and worn.  As far as what has changed... Lord.  I have no idea.  That is what I am hoping the collective brainpower of this forum can figure out.

I was thinking the same thing, assuming the proper length belt and if the tensioner pulley  and arm were installed correctly (square and tight) is the belt not centered on the pulleys (causing it to rub) on the arm. As far as the belt not being on the pulley to the right. The belt may simply only ride on the other side of that pulley, but looking at the belt diagram mentioned will verify this.

Edited by probak118

I hadn't had the chance to do much with it yet. The guys that changed the pulleys didn't change the situation. The belt was squeeking the instant I put the new one on. I just thought it might have been a pulley. That's when the showed me it was rubbing on the tensioner arm. I am wondering if I was given the wrong size belt from Auto Zone. That might account for the tensioner being in a position it shouldn't be in. 

• 4 years later...
48 minutes ago, Dthi said:

I am having the same issues I was wondering how you ended up fixing it

well as you see he never came back with what was the problem,has been 4 yrs from the last post,,,that said what have you done or not done that is the problem as we cant mind read over the internet,if belts are changed properly there should be no noise or problems  also what engine do you have and other info you have

Edited by 2late4u

LOL  I just went out to seer how the belt is positioned on my journey and when i lifted the hood up,,, off to the drivers side a black cat jumped off the top of the side of the engine and scared the hell out of me,,,,,,the weather had just turned off a bit cool this morning got down to around 58 degrees.... almost had to go changed my drawers.....