Hello, 

We bought a 2014 Journey Crew and it does not have the navigation. How hard is it to upgrade the system? 

Thanks

Use the search function to find one of the numerous threads discussing this subject. 

I have to agree with larryl. I have the factory GPS and I would not to do it again as it costs extra for the updates. I bought my son a Garmin with life time updates for less than $200.00 Canadian.

It is very easy to do if you already have the 8.2 inch display.  Less so if you don't.

This is my second Journey.  I went the Garmin route on the old one, but did the upgrade on this.  I also added the backup camera to mine.  I find the integration makes a HUGE difference and I have zero regrets.

On 12/10/2016 at 6:20 AM, bramfrank said:

It is very easy to do if you already have the 8.2 inch display.  Less so if you don't.

This is my second Journey.  I went the Garmin route on the old one, but did the upgrade on this.  I also added the backup camera to mine.  I find the integration makes a HUGE difference and I have zero regrets.

What do i need for this? Or can you direct me to the correct thread? I have the larger screen and want to add navigation and the backup camera.

21 minutes ago, 2015JRT said:

What do i need for this? Or can you direct me to the correct thread? I have the larger screen and want to add navigation and the backup camera.

You'll need to swap out the radio module, which contains the navigation hardware and you'll need to install the backup camera.

The radio module swap takes about 10 minutes - you'll need to 'unlock' the radio by entering a code that your dealer (or others, some of whom hang around o this board) can provide, followed by a call to SiriusXM to transfer your service, if you have a subscription, to the new module - if you get a 3rd generation radio you may already have (or else you ca subscribe) to traffic service.

You can install the camera without changing the radio - once you've installed the camera (assuming you do the work yourself as I did) the dealer will need to add the 'sales code' to the vehicle to enable it.  The sales code tells the radio that the vehicle has a camera - and does not need to be re-entered when you swap the radio out.  Camera installation in my vehicle took me about 2.5 hours.

As it happens, I have a spare nav sitting on the shelf available for purchase (I bought it before I figured out how to recover from the 'can't unlock maps' problem that affects a percentage of the units - and the one I put I my car never acted up (at least not yet) in any case.

It isn't rocket science, though I warn you that the first few times you use the camera you do need to look around when backing up.

bramfrank...do you still have the unit?

Edited by Kev T

4 hours ago, Kev T said:

bramfrank...do you still have the unit?

Yes,  I do.

Edited by bramfrank

Okay. I get the vehicle Saturday and will see what radio I have. Will get back to you then. 

Thank you 

Kevin

10 hours ago, Kev T said:

Okay. I get the vehicle Saturday and will see what radio I have. Will get back to you then. 

Thank you 

Kevin

Why didn't you make sure the vehicle is equipped with the features you wanted before buying?

Because I bought a used vehicle for an exceptional deal that will cost thousands less to simply upgrade the radio than find one with the Nav.   Kind of an odd question. I like wrenching and saving money!