2014 R/T 32,000 mile report

sl3196

I was pretty excited to buy my wife our first new car back in July of 2014.  First 10,000 miles were pretty trouble free, since then its had a lot of time in the shop.

*3 (yes 3!) New radio units (8.4" touchscreen) have been installed, 2 had the can't unlock maps and one the screen just went out. And of course it went out just before we had a long trip to El Paso

*Crankshaft position sensor (Fairly certain that's what it was, car had rough running issues)

*Oil pressure sensor needed replaced

*Rear HVAC blower went out and needed replaced

* Tires completely worn out at 32k (rotated every oil change)  Not really dodge's fault I guess just junk tires.

*Transmission shifts rough at times and likes to clunk into reverse 

*Washer fluid jet broke on passenger side. (still need to take it back to the dealer for that!)

Other than the radio trouble, car has been trouble free on any long tips I've took it on.  Pretty worried about having issues since the 3 year/36k mile warranty is almost up.  Gas mileage could be a bit better I think. (Usually average 22-23 on the highway, rated for 24 so I guess its close)  Hoping the car will last another year without major issues then I plan to get rid of it.

Edited by sl3196

• 2 weeks later...

Your navigator issues can be self-resolved, but even so, given the cost of electronics in the vehicle and the fact that the dealers aren't the best diagnosticians around I bought an extended warranty from the manufacturer - up in Canada we're limited to 7 years max, and that's what I bought.

• 2 months later...

We have about 60k on our 2012 R/T. The Kuhmo tires were about the worse I ever had. Replaced before 30,000 miles.

Replaced alternator at about 50k, funny that Charger and Challenger had recalls but not Journey. Replaced battery at same time along with belts.

Front Struts are squeaking and next item. No leaks but upper bushing dry, common with all cars in the Florida heat.

I do my own repairs and everything has been no problem to get at or replace.

My wife loves it and couldn't replace if I wanted. On trips generally get around 30 mpg. enough power. comfort and room.

Wanted to replace with a Hellcat, but can't get her to commit. She was going to commit me though.

On 3/5/2017 at 6:26 AM, jkeaton said:

Oh no!!! Sell it! Quick! :noobie:

It's not just one thing, its everything adding up.  First vehicle I've ever bought new and with a warranty and its had the most problems!

put 70 k on my 2011 like it a lot traded in on a 2014 crossroad i also had the oil sender problem at about 45 k but my extended warranty took care of that and replaced tires at about 35 k could have gotton more but it was coming to wintertime and a big trip, just replaced the battery but that was because my daughter needed a battery so i got a new one and see got my old one...win win have about 58 k on it now and still loving it.....

9 hours ago, sl3196 said:

It's not just one thing, its everything adding up.  First vehicle I've ever bought new and with a warranty and its had the most problems!

You should get rid of it then. Both off ours have been pretty much problem free. Any issues we did encounter were covered under extended warranties.

I understand your frustration.  I can say my 09 hasnt been horrendus, but it's had it share of issues.  Leaking sunroof, broken antenna, struts,brakes (dont get me started), crappy Kumo Tires, both washer jets, rear wiper blade, battery plus the recalls, and today its goes on for an engine actuator?, ac control unit, ball joints, air bag recall, plus I'm having plugs and belt changed.  I have 78k miles on it.  Some things you expect, some are excessive, but they all come with any car.  I always buy an extended warranty and I will say Ive gotten my purchase price back twice over out of my MaxCare warranty, but I doubt Id go  Dodge again (this is my 5 Chrysler product).  

BTW I got two OEM washer jets for $9 on amazon.  Takes 30 seconds to change....

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I guess I'm more mad about how the local dealer has treated this whole thing.  After all these radio problems under warranty and now I'm barely outside of warranty and not a damn thing can be done?  I've got zero complaints about the mechanics of this vehicle though, engine and transmission have been great thus far.