In-Floor storage bin has a crack and/or hole - how to fix?

JeffK95Z

Hey guys,

My 2013 journey has decent sized hole/crack in the passenger side second row in-floor storage bin.  Anyone know if you can just replace the whole thing, or do I look to get it patched some how?

No idea how it happened, but I'm getting some water in there now and that's not so good :(

Thanks!

Jeff

some of that UV activated plastic-glue stuff? I got a tube for about $5 from a dodgy chinese website - it works a treat!

http://gizmodo.com/super-glues-got-nothing-on-this-liquid-plastic-you-hard-1666641845 

Although it is best used indoors; the sun's UV rays are enough to harden the plastic. The cheap UV light is pretty weak on my tube so I just leave it in the sun.

Edited by BlindSquirrel

So are talking the plastic bin itself or the metal  housing that holds the bin ? If only the plastic get some good two part glue etc...made for plastic as suggested. But, how is water getting into the area holding the plastic bin ? Mine has always been dry as there is no evidence of rust below the plastic bin when removed. Maybe more of a concern ?

Sorry guys, should of been more clear - it's the metal outside part... i noticed this as the inner part was pushed up a little and I thought, wtf... so I tried to pull out the plastic bin part and it was stuck pretty good.

I managed to get it out and turns out that something must of hit under the car hard enough to dent the metal bin and push it in far enough to even dent the plastic bin itself :(

I was just recently at the dealer and mentioned it to them and they said they would want 2-300 bux to fix it - seemed a touch high so i figured it'd investigate fixing it myself :)  That plastic stuff looks interesting, I wonder if it would hold up on the outside/underneath the vehicle.

Thanks for all the replies!

Now it is a little clearer LOL Why not use a hammer and hit the dent down from inside as much as possible back in shape. Then, maybe use the spray can of undercoating or even brush it on and seal from the underside ? I think undercoating is flexible enough to have a little give and hopefully maintain a waterproof finish you are hoping for ? 

• 7 years later...

So I ran over a huge rock and it pushed in the metal under my 2018 dodge journey that is part of my in floor storage behind the drivers seat. The plug came out and it's bad. How do I fix this? Can I replace the metal ? How much? Where do I find the part? Can I do something myself to get huge dents out and seal the hole? 

It’s not structural to car so don’t panick.   A body shop would pound it back to approx shape, then weld in some sheet metal maybe. Body filler to smooth out. Not cheap.

You could do the similar fix sans the  welding.  Long strand fibreglass is great for filling out odd shapes; water proof and crazy strong.

Or just use light gauge metal and rivets to cover a hole if there is one.