Fuel economy

Sollyman

Hi. I am considering buying a 2013 to 2015 r/t journey.  I drive a lot for work and average about 65-75 kilometres per day. I was curious if anyone can share the average mileage for the v6 rt if you are driving it for work regularly. 

Thanks

It depends on the type of roads, the type of traffic and how hard you push the vehicle . . .

Mine gets between 7.7 and 16 L/100KM, depending on the situation, though I could probably push it further at either end of the range without trying very hard - I average slightly better than 12/100 with my particular mix of driving.

I drive easily unless I'm getting after the throttle for some reason.  When that's the case,I get after it. . .    I also tend to have a lot of roof cargo; bike or surfboard.  I get about 19mpg in town and anywhere from 22 to 25 on the highway with cargo.  Wind, headwind especially, markedly affects efficiency with these engines more than one would think due to the 6 speed transmission.  I think more gears would be better, but 6 is what we got.   Overall, great engine.  Smooth, powerful, quiet.  Don't expect 30mpg.  

peace.

• 1 year later...

well just got back from a trip to the Smokey Mountain area, and have about 82 k on the 3.6 engine in our journey and even with us carrying my wife's 3 wheel medical scooter on the bumper carrier rack with 2 adults, the total miles driven was 712 and we used 30 gal for an avg mpg of 23.73 mpg. i topped off the tank about 3 times not wanting to get caught some where gas was outrageous. the trip computer was saying total for the trip was 26.5 mpg but some stop and go and around the town driving actually brought it down some but overall the mpg wasn't bad for all the driving thur the mountains. We went to Helen GA which it was supposed to be Oktoberfest but most of the town was still only half open so it was a let down for the wife and then the last 2 nights we went to Cherokee N.C. to the casnio  and actually won some money so that was a great plus to the trip, but the big let down was we bought 5 tickets to the mega millions lottery and dam we didnt win anything,  lol oh well guess we will have to live with out all that money... but overall the journey took the mountains well and we had a great time....

• 1 month later...

After reading these numbers, my '14 DJ may have a fuel consumption issue...Hwy/City driving combined I get roughly 20 mpg's.  When I do all highway, I get between 22-23 mpg's.  I am a spirited driver who doesn't carry much cargo.  I've cleaned the MAP and am considering changing out my spark plugs.

My 09 gets anywhere from 12mpg to 23mpg.  I live in Chicago so it’s all stop and a little go traffic.  Winter always gets lower mpg.  Nothing on the roof or extra weight in the car.  On the highway I’ll get 23 mpg doing 75 mph. Think it’s just the constant traffic that kills me.  Has about 88k miles on it.  Plugs have been changed, throttle body cleaned, K&N air filter (cleaned).  It does get up and go when you hit it though! I didn’t buy it for its mpg..

• 2 years later...

2012  3.6L FWD, new plugs installed a months ago, suberbs driving 30 -45 mph with some stop signs and odd traffic light I average about 10 L/ 100 kms  - 23.5 mpg (us). Highway 60 - 70 mph I get about 8 L / 100 kms - 29.5 mpg (us). After a fill-up ( I top another 2-3 L in it ) my dash estimated 630 kms - 390 miles.  I think the AWD is about 1-2 mpg less / gallon  if I recall ? 

Edited by probak118

The winter gas where I am is often pounded with ethanol starting around now. Way less energy by volume so I find it’s really hits the gas mileage. Need to factor that in for winter driving.

Journey sits high up and pushes lots of wind, that hits the fuel mileage more than a six speed automatic IMO.
I think they are a good roomy vehicles and not that hard to work on in general. They seem to have lower  than ave resale which is good for buying used. I guess they aren’t Honduh.

MPG... my latest observation in my area (SF Bay Area - over populated). Since purchased, daily average with minimal highway driving, I get around 15 MPG. I work 5 miles away and most driving is within town so no need to get on the highway. When I go on trips I average 24 to 25 MPG, which I am very happy with considering I am not a Sunday type of driver... typical CA 75-80 MPH on the freeway. 

Since March (Covid Era) my average has gone up to 17.5 MPG - non freeway,  with most people around here working from home. Of course I only go to the office twice a week, but my average has surely gone up. 

Coming from a 11-12 MPG average van, I have nothing to complain about with my DJ, but would definitely like to get to 29 MPG like probak states (guess I could slow down ;))

2017 Crossroad Plus w/3.6AWD.  Just put on BFG T/A Advantage Plus and initially it looks like I’m dropping 2-3 MPG down to 23 highway. These are auto/light truck tires and are replacing the Kumho OEM at 30k. Headed out soon for an 800-1,000 mile round trip so I’ll have a better read on what kind of MPG I’ll be in for longer term.  Got these because i live in NW PA and don’t want the expense of separate snows and rims. Tires have a specific snow rating and tread is aggressive, though that seems to be coming at the expense of a few MPG. Time will tell.

1 hour ago, Airtray said:

2017 Crossroad Plus w/3.6AWD.  Just put on BFG T/A Advantage Plus and initially it looks like I’m dropping 2-3 MPG down to 23 highway. These are auto/light truck tires and are replacing the Kumho OEM at 30k. Headed out soon for an 800-1,000 mile round trip so I’ll have a better read on what kind of MPG I’ll be in for longer term.  Got these because i live in NW PA and don’t want the expense of separate snows and rims. Tires have a specific snow rating and tread is aggressive, though that seems to be coming at the expense of a few MPG. Time will tell.

WOW, only 30K on the original Kumho tires, just my opinion but I found the Michelines I bought were a lot better handling the the Kumhos they replaced. I think regardless what tires are on now, you will be happier.

I have the 2.4L and I typically average 24.3 in mixed driving. So far my best mpg was 27.2 but I haven’t taken it on any long trips yet. Glad to see the 3.6 gets such good mpg. I’ve been trying to convince one of my friends to buy one! 

• 1 year later...

We have a 2013. As we are campers we love it. However my wife works about the same distance and with the rising cost of fuel it hurts big time on the pocket. If your planning on getting a commuter then I would suggest something smaller if it's just for work.