8.4" U-Connect non Nav to 8.4" NAV upgrade

Hi All,

I upgraded my non navigation 8.4" U-Connect Radio to the one with the navigation.  My old radio was the RE2 media version.  I ordered the navigation media radio (RB5 - i think) from a wrecker in London Ontario for $250.00.  The wrecker shipped the part to my local used parts store and I picked it up from there.  I took the new radio with my purchase receipt to the local dealer parts desk and they provided to me the anti-theft code.

The swap took a total of 20-minutes - and then another 20-minutes to update the radio software which I downloaded from U-Connect web site.  All in all I am very happy with the swap and for me - I was lucky in that the only thing my existing radio did not have was navigation - so the swap didn't require a new screen or new antennas, etc....  If I can do it - anyone with a little bit of mechanical aptitude can do it themselves ;) .... Love the new radio with functioning navigation - so no need for my Magellan screen on top of my dash....  

Note:  I have a great RE2 non navigation media radio with the hard drive, etc.. if anyone needs it - contact me through the forum.

Congrats.

Yes, the upgrade is simple to do if you start from the right place (RE2) and have a good, working unit to swap in.

But you're actually quite lucky that you got what you expected.  I've had interaction with several people who received non-nav radios for their money even though the part vendors claimed they were RB5s and the part numbers implied this as well, in one case three in a row before he gave up.

Which generation radio did you get?

Edited by bramfrank

1 hour ago, larryl said:

Keep your old one in case your Nav unit messes up (which they do on occasion):cool:

The 'mess up' only affects the nav detailed maps function (and can be field-resolved).  You can still see major routes on the basemap, not that it's in any way useful.  But you can still use the rest of the unit's features.

It's perfectly safe to sell the old radio.

Edited by bramfrank

Thanks - I have the radio for sale on Kijiji ... but if it doesn't sell - it can stay in the box on a shelf ;) ... just in case.

I am happy that I did it as I really like the NAV function on the stock 8.3" screen as opposed to my separate Magellan unit - although the Magellan unit has lifetime updates .... 

• 4 weeks later...

The "Head Unit' is known as the TGM in FCA terms.  TGM stands for "Telematics Gateway Module" and in addition to being the radio module and CD player it handles the user interface between the vehicle and the driver, controlling, as you know, everything from the power outlet to the heated seats an steering wheel to the air conditioning, Bluetooth and defroster.

The nav version adds in the Garmin subsystem (which is unique in that it not only uses satellites for navigation, but also the vehicle compass and input from the vehicle to track location in underground and in situations when GPS reception is difficult.

It is as simple as swapping the TGM (and your SiriusXM subscription) if you already have the 8.2" display and a SiriusXM capable radio.  It takes about 5 minutes to do and you can do it yourself.

But if you buy the TGM new it does cost almost $1800 (and a lot more if you have to pay full retail).

Used units tend to sell for between $350 and $1000 which seems like a huge spread, but there are three generations of these things (they pretty much all work the same, sort of, only the later ones support active traffic, however they also have an issue where some of them will corrupt memory and lose their maps, necessitating intervention to get them going again (you can PM me for details).

Then there are procurement issues on the 'used' side of the equation;  Not all RB5 TGMs are compatible with the Journey and there are no external physical clues as to whether a TGM is nav-equipped or not.  Part numbers are all over the map, too and there's no decoder ring.  People have discovered that people often have no clue what they are selling - one member here bought THREE units, one after the other and all ostensibly navigation units only to discover that in reality none of them was equipped with the feature.  Also, the cheaper ones tend to be the older ones.

So if you can locate a compatible nav unit, and if it is working you can drop it into your vehicle and you will have navigation.

As it happens, I have a spare unit on my shelf that I bought for when/if my maps got corrupted.  Beyond the fact that the unit in my dash has never suffered the corruption issue, I have figured out how to recover affected units and get them back into service, so the spare is now surplus to my needs.  You can check the classified section of this forum if you are at all interested in mine.

Good luck

• 4 weeks later...

bramfrank - sorry I missed your question about which generation of radio - I am not sure - it was listed as coming out of a 2013 Journey on the wrecker's information sheet.  So far after 6-months I have not had any issues with it - although I did update it to the latest firmware available though U-Connect website.  The maps need to be updated - but I am reluctant to pay more $$$ for newer maps for the amount of time I actually use it.

• 1 month later...
On ‎11‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 2:01 AM, Deverett4 said:

i have a 2016 R/T, the dealership tells me that is like $2000 and a bunch of components to add and switch. Is it as simple as swapping a head unit?

I have a 2016 crossroad and actually just finished the swap. My donor was  from a 2014 charger. Worked with out a problem

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have the 'more' icon either and back then I simply assumed it was because it was not offered up here and was part of the radio configuration.

They originally told me I couldn't get TravelLink because I'm in Canada - but according to their web site it is now available up here (traffic too) in Canada, and they offer services where I live.  So THAT isn't it.

Clearly, since we all use the same firmware no matter where we are in the world it isn't that.  So it MUST be a configuration issue.  The obvious question would be to ask how to enable it.  And neither of the two RB5 radios I own displays the '+' sign when installed in my Crossroad.

The obvious place to ask would be support at the uConnect web site, however they will not support a transplanted radio . . . . . so perhaps the next step is to contact them and use the VIN of the vehicle your radio came from as the reference.

If you do, PLEASE come back here and let us all know what they had to say.

Good luck.

OK here is the process to get the MORE button icon and travel link. 

ICON FOR TRAVEL LINK AND TRAFFIC MISSING

1) Send an email to Dodge Customer Care. Let them know that you've upgraded your system to an RB5 unit and that you need to have the sales code "RSM" added to your VIN. Tell them which dealer you use, since they will use them to authorize/perform the update.

2) Your dealer will contact you and quote you a price for adding the sales code. If you can bundle this with a backup camera, even better!

3) After you have agreed to have the service done, you will need to pre-pay the service charge. The dealer will then contact Chrysler/Dodge and authorize them to add the sales code on their end - again, the dealer cannot add the RSM code locally.

4) When Chrysler/Dodge gets the code added to your VIN, they'll contact the dealer and let them know that it's been completed, and the dealer should contact you.

5) Take the car in to the dealer and let them reflash your sales codes. After that, you'll have the "More" icon in the corner and Travel Link should be working fine.

2 hours ago, JesterTA said:

1) Send an email to Dodge Customer Care. Let them know that you've upgraded your system to an RB5 unit and that you need to have the sales code "RSM" added to your VIN. Tell them which dealer you use, since they will use them to authorize/perform the update.

2) Your dealer will contact you and quote you a price for adding the sales code. If you can bundle this with a backup camera, even better!

Great news.  Thank you so very much for following up.  Makes you wonder why they need this at all, since it is a VERY simple matter to enable the feature based on the subscription status. 

Note that the dealer can add the code on the spot.  You don't need to involve Customer Care for this OR the camera sales code.

In any case I know what my first stop will be in the morning.

On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 8:39 PM, bramfrank said:

Great news.  Thank you so very much for following up.  Makes you wonder why they need this at all, since it is a VERY simple matter to enable the feature based on the subscription status. 

Note that the dealer can add the code on the spot.  You don't need to involve Customer Care for this OR the camera sales code.

In any case I know what my first stop will be in the morning.

Well did ya get it done?

6 hours ago, JesterTA said:

Well did ya get it done?

It turns out that it isn't simple for me.  I checked with my dealer, who was confused, and then with the one closest to my home who was helpful. 

It turns out that because I'm in Canada the RSM code is presently unavailable for assignment, so not yet. 

I have started a dialog with FCA who were unaware that Travel Link is available up here, but now I only want it as a goal, rather than actually want it as a service because the suite offered for Travel Link users in Canada does not include fuel prices and movie listings, making it a lot less attractive than in the US . . . . besides, of course all that information and a whole lot more is on my phone, so if they won't enable the code it's no big deal (for me, but I still enjoy the challenge), though I still wonder why they designed it the way they did.  There's no good reason to need a code for this in the first place. 

But they told me that US dealers CAN add the code locally, or if you are so inclined and perhaps know someone you can have the code added to your vehicle profile by them (or FCA can add it too) and then simply visit your dealer and have your vehicle profile 'refreshed' (which should save you some money) - I do believe that we have a member here that can add that code if asked nicely, by the way.

And now we know even more than we did.

OTHER INTERESTING INFORMATION I DISCOVERED:

In my conversations I did find out why traffic services appear on some vehicles every so often, even when they don't have a subscription.  I was told that:

4 times per year SiriusXM has a preview weekend where they open up their network to all radios, subscribed or not. 

So during those periods you'd have access to all of the channels (which you'd likely never notice if you don't already have a subscription because you wouldn't be likely to be listening to the sat radio, and even then, it would be tuned to the preview channel because that's where it would default to if you have no subscription), and you'd get traffic, which you might notice (or not, unless you actually notice the green circle or are actively navigating through congestion . . . on a weekend) and you'd have access to Travel Link if you are in the US and again, you'd need to be looking at it (of course vehicles with transplanted radios and no RSM sales code (which includes all Canadian Journey owners) would never see the Travel Link feature the way things are).

IMO preview weekends would probably be a lot more effective if they promoted them, rather than simply hoping we'd stumble across one or their web page. 

Apparently there's a radio preview event on until tomorrow (Feb 10) by the way:

http://www.siriusxm.com/servlet/Satellite?c=SXM_PageDetail_C&childpagename=SXM/SXM_PageDetail_C/OpenContent&cid=1293938572233&pagename=SXM/Wrapper

Edited by bramfrank