Fuel type ///mpg

mfeel

Hi everyone!

Since i first bought my Journey RT few months ago, i always used 87 Ethanol. The MPG was really bad, i read a lot online and found out that 89 and 91 will have a better MPG. Not a performance, since the pentastar is tuned to run 87. So staring today I started to put 89.

What are your thoughts? What do you advice? 

Thank you in advance for your help.

Hi mfeel

We have two 12 R/T AWD Jouneys with the 3.6L pentastar .  We average about 12.5L/100KM city and about 9.8L/100KM on highway - over the last 5,000kms.

One has 78,000 kms and the other has 36,000 kms on the clock - both are about the same.

bigtsr and larryl are both correct.  New vehicles take time to break in and the mileage should improve - but it really depends on your particular driving style and how much time is spent sitting in traffic - stop and go driving, hilly terrain, etc...

I would reset my mileage clock at every fill up - but then if I spent the first half a tank of gas in city mode only with little or no highway trips my gauge would tell me I was at 18.5L/100kms - Yikes.... all city - stop and go , etc... but over 10-tanks of gas you should get a pretty good feel for the mileage that you are going to get.  On the highway - you can expect to get down to 9.5L - 10L / 100 kms - so longer trips it will do pretty well for its size and power (283HP after all).... speed plus the AWD will be negative factors.

My two - cents - for what it is worth.....

• 11 months later...

thread revive post.......................

is it bad to run 85 octaine in these engines?  im on my 2nd tank of gas.  the day i bought the car the sales guy put in 85.  i put 85 in the second tank as well. 

i ask because is it REALLY a bad thing to run 85?  i mean is running 87 a scare tactic?

I would put what the manufacture recommends, they built the engine and know what it needs to be healthy. Octane is resistance to detonation. Higher compression needs higher octane because when you slam all the air and fuel into a smaller space (higher compression) it results in hotter temperatures. Gasoline will self detonate when it reaches a certain temperature based on the octane rating. If octane is too low you risk detonating and causing engine damage. So i would put 87 or 88 depenging on what you get where you live.

Where i live the pumps have 86, 88, and 90 or 91. so since 86 is lower than required i use the 88, no reason to go any higher as it will have zero effects on mpg or performance unless tuned for it. But definitely dont want to go lower than 87.

On 9/30/2017 at 11:45 PM, Bryman31 said:

thread revive post.......................

is it bad to run 85 octaine in these engines?  im on my 2nd tank of gas.  the day i bought the car the sales guy put in 85.  i put 85 in the second tank as well. 

i ask because is it REALLY a bad thing to run 85?  i mean is running 87 a scare tactic?

Do you mean E85? As in flex fuel?

7 hours ago, jkeaton said:

Do you mean E85? As in flex fuel?

no regular 85 octane.  here in Colorado we have 85,87,91 octanes.  in some rural areas we have 89 octane

ive never used E85.  our grand caravan allows it too but ive heard good and bad about it so ive never tried it LOL.  and ive always used regular 85 in it too.  i guess since its the same engine i should use 87.

as for the journey, i guess ill be using 87 then.  ill be filling it up with its 3rd tank fill tomorrow too!