Power door locks stopped working.  But power unlock still works. 

Hi all,

Interesting problem on my 2010 Dodge Journey R/T.

Power door locks stopped working.  The button on keyfob makes the lights blink, but the doors don’t lock.  The lock button on the driver and passenger doors do not do anything.

But power unlock still works.  Button on keyfob, driver door and passenger door all unlock the doors.

The windshield cleaner fluid pump on front windshield stopped working at the same time.

The rear window cleaner fluid still works.

How does the door lock mechanism work?  Is it a separate motor/actuator from the unlock mechanism?

I am guessing it’s a control module problem.  And the windshield wiper fluid pump is just a coincidence?

It looks like lock and unlock shares a fuse and its OK (fuse 38).

Thanks for the advice Bigtsr,  I tried disconnecting the battery for 20 minutes, still didn't work. 

Thanks for the info that there is only one windshield washer motor.  Maybe I can get by just swapping the fluid cables around as the front is more useful than the back!  Looks easy enough too.

I tried shuffling around some relays to see if there was a chance that the problem would move around.  That didn't happen, the problem remained the same.  (I have no idea what else to try, so I was grasping at straws  :)  )

I am leaving battery disconnected overnight to ensure everything is reset.

Sure seems odd that two systems would both half-fail at the same time.  Doors unlock, but wont lock.  Fluid pumps to the back, but not the front.  Sounds like an expensive computer maybe?

Elmwoodie.

DodgeJourneyFusebox2 (361x640).jpg

DodgeJourneyFuseboxWP_20161016_14_21_44_Rich_LI (640x360).jpg

12 hours without battery did not fix the problem. 

I saw a youtube video where they indicated that it might be necessary to disconnect both battery posts and connect + and - (without battery!) to discharge all capacitors to ensure everything is reset.  Does anyone think that is a good idea?

• 6 months later...
On 10/17/2016 at 9:39 AM, Elmwoodie said:

12 hours without battery did not fix the problem. 

I saw a youtube video where they indicated that it might be necessary to disconnect both battery posts and connect + and - (without battery!) to discharge all capacitors to ensure everything is reset.  Does anyone think that is a good idea?

On 10/16/2016 at 8:38 PM, Elmwoodie said:

Thanks for the advice Bigtsr,  I tried disconnecting the battery for 20 minutes, still didn't work. 

Thanks for the info that there is only one windshield washer motor.  Maybe I can get by just swapping the fluid cables around as the front is more useful than the back!  Looks easy enough too.

I tried shuffling around some relays to see if there was a chance that the problem would move around.  That didn't happen, the problem remained the same.  (I have no idea what else to try, so I was grasping at straws  :)  )

I am leaving battery disconnected overnight to ensure everything is reset.

Sure seems odd that two systems would both half-fail at the same time.  Doors unlock, but wont lock.  Fluid pumps to the back, but not the front.  Sounds like an expensive computer maybe?

Elmwoodie.

DodgeJourneyFusebox2 (361x640).jpg

DodgeJourneyFuseboxWP_20161016_14_21_44_Rich_LI (640x360).jpg

On 10/15/2016 at 5:16 PM, Elmwoodie said:

Hi all,

Interesting problem on my 2010 Dodge Journey R/T.

Power door locks stopped working.  The button on keyfob makes the lights blink, but the doors don’t lock.  The lock button on the driver and passenger doors do not do anything.

But power unlock still works.  Button on keyfob, driver door and passenger door all unlock the doors.

The windshield cleaner fluid pump on front windshield stopped working at the same time.

The rear window cleaner fluid still works.

How does the door lock mechanism work?  Is it a separate motor/actuator from the unlock mechanism?

I am guessing it’s a control module problem.  And the windshield wiper fluid pump is just a coincidence?

It looks like lock and unlock shares a fuse and its OK (fuse 38).

Hi elmwoodie,

I have the same exact problem with my 2010 Journey R/T. Can you please tell me if you have been able to fixit and what was the problem.

Thanks

• 4 months later...

If you guys have not resolved the door lock problem, I am going to assume it is a wiring issue. I had the same issue on an older car of mine, and it was the wire from the relay to the actuator. The wire had gotten old and although it was getting a current when I pushed the button (and worked intermittently), it was not enough power to give it a full current. Just a thought.

• 5 months later...
  • 5 years later...

A key fob can break down, usually as a result of damage like damaged contacts, making it impossible to send a signal to lock or unlock all of your car's doors. You risk having your car doors not work if you repeatedly drop your key fob or it is too dirty inside.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, Rina5677 said:

I got a used (not refurbished) TIPM for $100. Did a soft reset via YouTube after install. Worked great! I have door lock/unlock, remote start, a rear hatch that opens. Thank goodness! 

thanks for coming back and posting your experience/solution... that is what makes a forum work

• 5 weeks later...