Spare Tire Cover

wisconsin

I appreciate your concerns; however, I really don't think it's necessary to fit one between the hook and tire. And, with the volume of air passing around a vehicle as you're traveling down the road, I'm really doubtful an environment will be created that would promote tire rot.  In fact, I've read that some in prior model years were received with a cover for the spare. So, I'm interested in one myself and would like know where I can get one.

Edited by wisconsin

4 hours ago, wisconsin said:

I appreciate your concerns; however, I really don't think it's necessary to fit one between the hook and tire. And, with the volume of air passing around a vehicle as you're traveling down the road, I'm really doubtful an environment will be created that would promote tire rot.  In fact, I've read that some in prior model years were received with a cover for the spare. So, I'm interested in one myself and would like know where I can get one.

For the fun of it I had a quick look at the 2009 owner's manual and there's no mention of a cover there.  My '11 didn't have one and my '14 doesn't.  So I suspect the no Jouney has ever had a cover.

In the end it really depends on the design of said cover . . . if it is just a disc then it'll probably catch the wind and act like a sail and be covered in mud and such on the upper side and if it'd made of plastic it will almost certainly break over time.  If it is a true cover it will act like a bowl and fill with water - even if they give it a drain hole or two, because they'll ultimately block with mud, leaves and stones.

And the most important reason is that this would cost FCA money and serve no useful purpose.  FCA (or any car manufacturer for that matter) is looking to reduce costs, no matter how tiny a savings, as long and the basic reliability isn't compromised.  A cover over the spare isn't going to provide any significant cosmetic, reliability or performance benefit.   This would be one of the fist things to go at the initial product planning meetings.

I strongly suspect that if you want one you are going to have to make it yourself.

You know I would have actually preferred that there be a full spare contained within the cargo area.  The third row seat isn't for everyone. If it were removed there would be enough room to store the spare and offer some additional under cargo area storage. Unfortunately, I see very few Journeys without the third row.

Edited by wisconsin