2011 Dodge Journey random and continuous engine stalls.?.

Stephanie Biddles

Hey, 

I have a 2011 Dodge Journey, that I've owned for about 4 years now, bought used  as a dealer car, now at just over 100k.

i am having an issue with my car suddenly shutting off on me or stalling while I'm driving. The lights stay on, my car stays in drive and as soon as I put it into park once I cant accelerate anymore, I can't shift it into neutral and I lose all steering capabilities. Once I push the button to turn it off I sometimes can get it going and last for about 1 min before it happens again. 

It's very frustrating. I was able to make it home tonight thank god. My engine service light comes on and stays on until the next day when I try again. 

Has any one ever had this issue or know anything about it? 

Thanks

The way you describe it, I have a feeling this is transmission related.   If you get the codes read.   and it ends up being a generic trans code  then see if they have a reader that will read the Separate Trans codes. 

On the web I was able to find more by searching by transmission  without being car specific.    When I had to research I would normally find the story going   "I was driving... then it shifted into neutral... wouldn't shift  or stay in drive....limp mode...wouldn't stay in limp mode"    The problem is there arent many solutions except "new/rebuilt trans."  (I remember hoping for the Change solenoid pack  solution  as everything else involved dropping the Transmission and instant $$$  out of pocket)    When I had mine done i was at a stop light.  I also had a noise like "a playing card  stuck in an oscillating fan"   Once it hit a certain amount of RPMs  it would shift into neurtral.  Then i could shut off car  turn it on and move a  few feet more.     ...........NEW Trans.   Mechanic report claimed it was  the transmission pump failed  and destruction ensued.