Normal Coolant Operating Range

fjpod

I have a scanguage 2 and I was noticing my coolant temp reaching 211 degrees F while stuck in traffic. When moving it is 185-190F. Isn't this a little high? I have the 4 cyl gasoline engine.

Depends on what Chrysler is usning for a T-stat.

Some cars now of days use a 185 or a 190 T stat. Which opens once the car hits that temp. so 211 is not too uncomon in traffic.

anyone have the stats for this?

• 8 years later...

I have a 2012  Dodge Journey that I have issues with the coolant system. 

I have replaced the heater core

Twice, radiator once, thermostat once and distribution housing once. 

I still run about 230-250 which is hot. I’ve taken it to the dealership for repairs and I keep having this issue. They stated it was normal. I disagree. This is going to cause premature breakdown of my block and warp my heads. 

• 3 years later...
On 8/21/2018 at 11:53 AM, Raidervader32 said:

I have a 2012  Dodge Journey that I have issues with the coolant system. 

I have replaced the heater core

Twice, radiator once, thermostat once and distribution housing once. 

I still run about 230-250 which is hot. I’ve taken it to the dealership for repairs and I keep having this issue. They stated it was normal. I disagree. This is going to cause premature breakdown of my block and warp my heads. 

A few questions on this. Did you bleed the air out of the cooling system after replacing any and all of the parts? If their is air trapped in the cooling system that could cause an issue with the circulation of coolant. Do you heat hot air out of the heater? If you do not get hot air out of the heater after the vehicle has warmed up that indicates little to no circulation. If you have bleed the air out and get hot air from the heater I would try another thermostat, because you may have gotten a bad one that is not opening or may have a water pump that has gone out or a clog somewhere in the cooling system.