2013 Journey sxt caliper guide pin help

Ascended69

So I was doing brakes on my 2013 Journey SXT and didn't notice that one of the caliper guide pins had a rubber sleeve near the tip of one of the pins ( NOT TALKING ABOUT THE DUST BOOT!). Well this pin was a bitch to removed and is impossible to reinsert because the rubber has come loose and rides up out of the channel and binds in the hole. Now I've called dealerships, scoured the internet and can't find a definitive answer on which pin goes where. So at last I am here hoping someone could provide me an answer. The second question I have is would it be safe to use the pin without the rubber sleeve on it? (I think it's an anti-rattle device?) Thanks in advance, quick response would be much appreciated as this is an in the process job.

• 2 months later...

Well what was your outcome ? Too bad no one could help. I just replaced all around on my 2012 SXT for the third time in 55, 000 kms. Luckily changing these pads and disks are pretty straight forward, except the turning the rear cilinders in rather than pushing them in with $17 dollar accessory tool ( surprise surprise) thank you utube for the heads up) ! Did you find a new piece or what ?

Edited by probak118

my daughters 2007 caravan when i do her front pads when i removed both caliper pins to clean and grease, one of them also has a rubber sleeve on it and if i remove that one it will not go back in because the sleeve has swelled up i've been told by a couple of mechanics its because of the pin grease.i have always used, the stuff you buy in the little packet that the stores sells so i replaced that piece and when ever i have to. i have since bought some better grease that is supposed not to do that to rubber parts. but i dont remove that pin anymore and barely grease it and as long as i have  done that it still slides smooth so dont remove the pins unless they are hanging up or wont slide easy. and no you need that rubber boot on the pin.   cant say which pin you are having problems with as its a different vehicle...