2010 DJ, 76K mi, 2.4 FWD, - My alternator bearing went about 5 months ago and I bought a rebuilt OEM replacement online Amazon. Got it and installed with new belt and all was well for 3 months. I started getting the same intermittent start issue that ALL JOURNEY owners seem to get and it turns out my lead to the starter solenoid was corroded so I fixed that and it stopped.

Another month goes and the battery warning light comes on, I get car home and test and it APPEARS to have only 12V across the terminals while running. I am not 100% sure because I had to test across the jumper terminal and I was thinking that might not give me an accurate reading. Anyway I put car on trickle charger overnight so I can drive the 4 miles to work and back the next day waiting for new alternator to arrive. The battery did NOT discharge at all by the end of the driving, I tested it and it was at full amps and volts. 

call and order the first replacement alternator and get that 2 days later (Thanks Amazon Prime!) put in new belt too and hook up and all is right with the world. So I thought. A month later i get the SAME battery warning light again! I test the battery again and full up and I drive that DJ for a solid week with NO PROBLEM! The battery is fully charged! 

Because its 4 months old I call Prime and get a free replacement alternator again in 2 days! (woo hoo) and installed that one WITH A BRAND NEW HEAVY DUTY BATTERY - so now I have brand new battery, brand new alternator. There was no problem I could test with the old alternator. 2 WEEKS later the battery light comes on gain! !!!!

Now there is whole new electrical charging system with this same issue. Weird thing is that if I take off the small field sensor wire for awhile, even now, the battery warning light does not come back on right away. Sometimes takes a half hour or more! Other times it comes on right when I start the car. I tried looking to see if the wires were damaged somehow but I can not see any issue with that connector or leads but it seems to be every time I fiddle with the wires the light does not come on again right away. 

This is absolutely insane, does ANYONE have any idea what the ghost is in the machine????

you have to be careful with parts on amazon. there are a lot of cheap parts out there. 

rockauto is a good source for parts but i have been more and more getting parts from  http://www.factorymoparparts.net

lots of oem parts at a decent price . also lots of drawings to show what part you need. 

21 hours ago, Dusty256 said:

I would say what ever brand you are getting from Amazon is not a good brand or cheap knock off Oem part.  

i would press for a refund and try another source......

Already got the refund & buying a new alternator from AUTOZONE tonight

• 3 months later...