2013 Dodge Journey Keyfob stop reading

2013 Dodge Journey 

My keyfob isn't reading while I'm driving it happened to me twice while I'm driving on the interstate moving about 60-70mph. When light comes on and beeping . My brakes start lock up, I got me and kids and safely off side road but took me 3-4 times starting and turning off the car to get to read the keyfob. I had to dealership. They checked  battery it find. The guy got to do it once.  We brought this car brand new only have 55,000 miles on it.  

Has anyone else had this issues? 

Edited by WarriorMom

If it was a FOB issue and the car stopped 'reading' it's presence while in operation the only thing that would happen is that the display would indicate a missing FOB and the chime would drive you crazy, but the car would keep moving.  This implies something more complex at fault and your dealer may not have the diagnostic skills . . . . have them contact Dodge.

I suppose it might be the battery, but then when you are driving down the road the vehicle is powered by the alternator, no matter what the state of the battery may be.  It IS, however more than 3 years old and could be bad.  Did they change it?

Given the inherent complexity of these vehicles I hope you purchased an extended warranty from FCA.  Issues like these can starte to get very expensive very quickly.

Edited by bramfrank

It was just in the shop for routine check up everything was fine.  Actually the same dealer shop that I took too. When keyfob is not detected in my 2013 Dodge Journey. It locks up the brake to you can't push down on it. It has done this since the day I brought it.  With what is doing now while driving it , just started this week. It done it 2 times.  I had handful issues with car panel that has my radio and climate controls have big issues. My radio been replaced once because shut always down. The radio channels stations and volume goes up and down when wants. If you turn corner just right it shut whole screen/ radio down.  I have had in shop for this issues number times.  I think this car got some big electic issues and this could all be same thing , who knows. But the problem I'm having right now is huge safely issues.  I have extended warranty on my car. 

That you have the warranty is good news, though if they don't ever fix it properly you have to wonder what the point is.

Again, once the car is running the ONLY impact of a failed or out of range FOB is visual and audible alerts.  If the vehicle is preventing you from pressing on the brake or of they are locking up then you are quite correct, this is a safety issue and must be resolved.  But not being able to press on the brake is very different than 'locking up'. Which is it?

It gets hard to press the brake pedal when there's no vacuum.  That's why it can be hard to press in the morning.  You could have an issue with the master cylinder separate from the FOB issue or only indirectly related.

Key is to clearly and accurately explain the problems and to ensure that they understand what they are - make certain that what it says on the work order sounds like what you are experiencing.  With the extended warranty you get a loaner vehicle while yours is in for repair, so drop it off, take the loaner and then verify the repairs solve the issues before you let them give it back to you.

Obviously if you can't get satisfaction you may have to resort to a claim.  Does your state have lemon laws?

Yes in state of Ohio I believ we have lemon laws, a friend of ours told us file 2 years ago when radio panel started acting up.  I have make appt both places . To take too are booked up until next week.  Warranty place said they have look at report from dealership before knowing it it covered and if they pay 35-40 something rental car I have to have. This our only family car. 

Unfortunately, if they can't replicate the problem in the shop the only way to prove it is to take a video - and even then if they can't determine the source of the problem they'll just be guessing.  You really need whatever is wrong to become a permanent so they can trace it properly, rather than trying random things.

• 1 month later...