VIN info different from model

jimisand

Hi,

So in 2013 my friend bought a brand new Journey. It was a R/T edition. Yesterday, we were talking about a Journey that I was interested in buying, which is a 2013 R/T AWD. She said she wished hers was AWD. I said from what I have seen on websites that sell cars, I have always seen a 2013 R/T with AWD or Ralleye AWD.

So we took her VIN and looked it up online, and it comes up as an SXT. How/why is that? We tried a couple of different sites, and all show it being an SXT. It has features like the large screen and a backup camera.

So, does the 2013 R/T come "without" AWD?

Can anyone give me some info about this? That would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jimisand

31 minutes ago, jimisand said:

Hi,

So in 2013 my friend bought a brand new Journey. It was a R/T edition. Yesterday, we were talking about a Journey that I was interested in buying, which is a 2013 R/T AWD. She said she wished hers was AWD. I said from what I have seen on websites that sell cars, I have always seen a 2013 R/T with AWD or Ralleye AWD.

So we took her VIN and looked it up online, and it comes up as an SXT. How/why is that? We tried a couple of different sites, and all show it being an SXT. It has features like the large screen and a backup camera.

So, does the 2013 R/T come "without" AWD?

Can anyone give me some info about this? That would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jimisand

Not in Canada. As you know, R/Ts in Canada were ONLY available as AWD.

The VIN lookups show my Crossroad as an SXT, but a window sticker inquiry shows my vehicle as a Canadian Crossroad, And I submitted it to my insurance broker as proof, for my replacement cost insurance, which your friend ought to have been warned about when she purchased her policies, since in a total loss they'd likely replace her R/T with an SXT and/or use the SXT as the basis for settlement without proof to the contrary, something the broker should have warned her about on day 1.

But in the US the R/T is essentially just a trim package and can be had in almost any configuration.  Of course she could have been defrauded by a dealer adding the R/T badge to a lower trim vehicle (which would make for a interesting lawsuit) or the vehicle imported. Does she have the rechargeable flashlight, for example and the R/T seats?

You should be able to look up the original window sticker here:  http://www.dodge.com/hostc/

Edited by bramfrank

Thanks for that information!

So I lookup the VIN on the window sticker site, and it comes back as a Crew, on the top part of the page "2013 Model Year Journey Crew"

Underneath in the Price Information section is says Dodge Journey SXT (FWD/LHD)

Very interesting. So I asked her to check, and yes, she does have the rechargeable flashlight. 

Wow... totally crazy now. :) 

I've never seen a non-AWD R/T offered in Canada since I've been watching (since 2011).  Of course that doesn't mean they never brought any in.  But that would be strange.  If she purchased in Canada and her paperwork says R/T she may have a serious claim against the seller.  Was there any location information (Ontario tire tax or some such) listed on that sticker?  And does she have the R/T (leather) seats and chrome door handles?

You can pretty much order any option on the mid-level vehicles, which is why the flashlight isn't definitive.

Note, however that autotrader.ca lists ONLY the AWD version of the R/T in it's 2013 specification summary:

http://wwwb.autotrader.ca/research/dodge/journey/2013/

Edited by bramfrank