P235/55/R19 Toyo Celcius CUV All Weather Tires

LisaLeeMcLeod

Hi All

We just installed two sets of Toyo Celcius CUV all weather tires P235/55/R19 onto our stock 19" Chrome Clad Wheels for both of our 2012 Journeys.  We needed to get rid of the Kuhmos that the Journeys came with and these tires from Toyo seemed to be the best option for us.  As these are a newer tire line from Toyo with very little owner commentary on overall durability and driving/ownership impressions in different situations - I thought that I would keep up a running commentary for the rest of this year and into the spring of next year for anyone who may be considering these tires.

We opted for the Toyo over the Nokian WRG3 due to cost and some durability concerns on the Nokian Tire.  We were also considering Michelin Defender LTX M/S tires as an all season option but decided Toyo was the way to go ...

First impressions:

1.  Toyo sales rep dropped off a box of 12 Callaway golf balls at the tire dealer for my wife and I, plus a coffee mug and some other swag - Nice touch & very unexpected ;)

2.  They look great on the 19" Clad Wheels - and are a little beefier than the original tires.

3.  We have only put 10 km on them so far - I will update this post again next week after we have put the first 100 or so km's on them - but so far they feel solid and are very quiet considering the tread is pretty aggressive.

Edited by LisaLeeMcLeod

Hi All,

OK - Quick Update on the tires after about 1000 kms

So we had some light rain and wet roads in addition to mid 20 degree celcius partial sunny days with dry roads.  The tires make the truck feel a bit more solid on the road.  They seem to be a bit sturdier in the sidewall area but we didn't notice any negative consequences from a ride / handling point of view.  They are actually pretty quiet considering the aggressive tread.  On the highway there is a slight noise (radio off) but not really noticeable.  On the highway, with mixed speeds from stop and go to 70 MPH - over a 500km trip - we seem to have taken a small MPG loss of about 1 MPG ... we will continue to monitor.  Otherwise we are really pleased with the tires so far.  Trucks feel planted and we noticed less impact of cross winds on the tracking/steering.

So far so good.

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

Update after 5,000 kms.

We have had a mix of weather from sunny mid-twenties to heavy rain and overnight lows around 6-7 degrees.  Overall we are very pleased with these tires.  They handle well in all conditions experienced so far.  We can confirm that we lost about 1 MPG on our overall mileage - both trucks experienced the same loss - so it is definitely the new tires.  We also noticed that in dry conditions the tires have great lateral grip (cornering) but a little less grip in straight line acceleration.  Trucks both feel and track better on highway at speed and better on the on/off ramps at speed.

We have occasionally squealed the tires off the line at a traffic light; however, we think that this may be due to the deeper more aggressive tread on the newer tires than the older semi worn tread design on both the Kuhmos and Pirelli's that were on the trucks.  It does take a little getting used to - but I wouldn't take a star off my rating of the tires overall for it.

So now were are just waiting for the snow to fly so that we can get some driving in under real winter conditions.  So far though - these tires seem to be a great bargain for those of us - who do not want to invest in a second set of rims / sensors and then have to switch tires 2x per year.

My interim rating = 5/5 stars after 5,000 kms.

Lee

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

Update after 10,000 kms and 29 cm of recent snow - ;0) 

The weather here in Windsor has been pretty good for the most part.  Recently we just got a 29 cm dump of snow (11.5" for our US friends) ... Wet, slushy crap that is melting as I write this post.  Well - the tires performed very well considering that they are not a pure snow tire.  All around performance was GOOD to VERY GOOD.  The tires track well in the snow and the Journey doesn't get pushed around too much in the ruts, etc... Stopping distances were very good and overall we are really happy with them.  Obviously, they do not perform as well as a dedicated WINTER tire - but if you are looking for an all around tire - that can be mounted and forgotten about other than rotations  -  these tires are in my opinion a good investment.

I will say that if you are planning to run them year round (like me) - take steps to condition your rims before winter to prevent pitting from any road salt.  I applied a heavy coat of turtle wax on my wheels, and didn't buffer it all off 100%, at the end of November.  I have the chrome clad aluminum wheels - so the plastic covers should be OK so long as I don't smack them on a curb or something.

• 5 years later...