Sprskte

About a week ago my wife's car (2010 journey FWD 3.5 V6) set DTC P0350 Cylinder 5 misfire. I tried the simple fix, the coil pack and the spark plug. This did nothing. So now that taking off the intake manifold is easy, I have tried a few other things. 

Things I have attempted for repair:

-coil pack

-plug

-sea foam engine treatment through vacuum line

-sea foam top engine cleaner through throttle body

-mopar combustion chamber cleaner through throttle body

so far no success with this!!

So today I did a compression test cylinder 5 was 60-70psi the others was 190psi. Alldata states minimum of 100 psi and all cylinders within 25% of each other.

After more research I think it could be one of these issues:

-excessive carbon build up on valves.

-bad rocker arm

And repair options of:

- replace valve spring retainer locks with new ones (part 53022277AA) this is supposed to spin the valves quicker to prevent carbon build.

- new rocker arm because low compression can be a sticky valve

-replace or rebuild cylinder head

Has anyone had and experience with this issue? Any recommendations?

Thank You for your time!!

I will preface by saying this: I am not a mechanic.  The first thing I would do is question your cylinder compression tester.  190 sounds quite high.  If so, cyl 5 may be 10 or 15.  Just sayin'.   My 2011 had the cylinder 2 misfire and bad head issue.  I understand that the engines are not the same.  Rather than throwing expensive parts at yours, I'd get a diagnosis from a Dodge service center.  If you can fix it, then do so.   If not, let them handle it.   Good luck.

Peace.

I bought my Journey (SXT 2010) more than a year ago. After less than a month the service engine light was on with errors 0306, 0300 and 0133. I spoke to the guy who sold me the car and he said that he has seen it for quite some time and i should clear it by scanner but not fix since it is probably a software issue. He said that he has already changed the oxygen sensor.

I have been doing this since then. Around a month ago the car started to occasionally shake and service engine light would be flashing. I could not see any additional alarms on the DTC so I assumed that there was a problem with the coil of cylinder 6. I had it changed but the same issue persists (a little less frequent than before though).

Today I was at the dealer for a recall on the power steering hose so I asked them to check for me the error. They had me pay 132$ just to tell me that there is a problem on cylinder 6. They said that the compression test is only giving 60-70 psi while it should be more than 160. I asked them what the problem is, how it can be fixed and how much it would cost but they told me that the only way to find this out is to remove the engine head and this is a 6-hour job (130$ per hour) and then they would be able to know if the problem is in the valve and how much it would cost to change it.

I decided that it is not worth it to pay 800$ just to know what the problem is and may be have to pay 1,000$ to fix it. I hope that it will not cause me any problems during summer. It is really annoying if this is caused by a valve that needs replacement that costs 1,000$. I like this car and do not wish to sell it for such a silly cause!

Yes I figured it out.. This engine has bad rocker arm assembly, which should show itself by a slight tapping in the engine. That is a fairly easy fix. But if it gets to the point of misfire then that means you have a burnt valve. They need to remove your head and do a valve job and replace the rocker assembly. At which point you should do your  timing belt and water pump which would only add 20min of labor to the job. Maybe 120 in parts. You could always buy a new head like 550 at oriley's.. Either way it is expensive but you want it done because there is a lot of wear on the engine running like that. 

• 4 months later...
On Wednesday, September 07, 2016 at 9:22 PM, Sprskte said:

About a week ago my wife's car (2010 journey FWD 3.5 V6) set DTC P0350 Cylinder 5 misfire. I tried the simple fix, the coil pack and the spark plug. This did nothing. So now that taking off the intake manifold is easy, I have tried a few other things. 

Things I have attempted for repair:

-coil pack

-plug

-sea foam engine treatment through vacuum line

-sea foam top engine cleaner through throttle body

-mopar combustion chamber cleaner through throttle body

so far no success with this!!

So today I did a compression test cylinder 5 was 60-70psi the others was 190psi. Alldata states minimum of 100 psi and all cylinders within 25% of each other.

After more research I think it could be one of these issues:

-excessive carbon build up on valves.

-bad rocker arm

And repair options of:

- replace valve spring retainer locks with new ones (part 53022277AA) this is supposed to spin the valves quicker to prevent carbon build.

- new rocker arm because low compression can be a sticky valve

-replace or rebuild cylinder head

Has anyone had and experience with this issue? Any recommendations?

Thank You for your time!!

I just had P0305 code and engine shudder around 1500 rpm. I replaced all spark plugs today (mileage is 105,000). Hope that fixes it. Also swap coil packs from #5 to the front. This way if you get a different Pcode then it is a bad coil Pack.

Wow, the P0305 reoccured again. It's not the coil pack.   In the morning I drive 40 minutes to work. The engine ran without a misfire. The car sits at work for 8 hours and I drive home again for 40 minutes. No misfires.   Once home i take another second 5 minute trip to Lowes. Now i get the P0305 misfire. The engine shudders.

how does it know this?...the misfires happen on the second trip. This is exactly when the misfire occurred last week before I changed the spark plugs.  

On Saturday, January 21, 2017 at 9:20 PM, Sprskte said:

I hope it works for you.. but the rocker arm and the valves separate in these engines. Very common issue. I had to rebuild the head.

What's all involved to repair the head? Did you do the work yourself?  

Did you take off the lower intake valve on the rear v block to expose the rocker arm?

• 11 months later...