Power Steering failure but everything seems intact

cheseroo

2013 Journey with 4 cyl, 50k miles..  The power steering assist stopped working.  The pump or rack is not making any strange noises.  The reservoir is full of original looking fluid.  I'd hate to just start guessing and randomly replacing things without asking around first.  Same make/model cars generally all have the same faults so I thought someone else may have had something similar happen.  Searching just comes up with the hose recall but this is summertime in Southern California and it doesn't get cold here plus there's still fluid in the system.  If I had to make a wild guess, I would throw out a couple ideas.  1.  The pump has electrical connections.  I'm guessing that perhaps they have a bypass solenoid in there to "freewheel" the pump at speed in the interests of fuel economy and that the problem lies somewhere in that system.  2.  An internal valve failed in the rack and needs to be replaced.

Anyone else have power assist failure that can provide some guidance ideas?

Thanks,

Rich

id least get it to a local dealer or good mechanic nearby for a quick thought of what they think is wrong with it.better hope its not the rack and pinion unit as that would be really expensive and difficult to replace more likely to be the power steering unit if want a guess.

Edited by 2late4u

• 3 months later...