Rear calipers locked up in driveway?

Red99RT

So i thought it was a freak thing many months ago but it has happened several times now.  When putting the DJ in reverse or drive leaving driveway, sometimes it will not move and act like the rear calipers are locked up on the rotors.  I have to give it a little throttle and the back end comes up, still doesn't move.  Then I will give it a little more throttle and i hear a loud bang sound, it releases then.  Has anyone had this happen to them?  I'm wondering when i tell the dealer what its doing, if they will even do anything if they can't replicate what its

doing. 

2015 DJ 2.4 SXT

never had that happen to my journey but years ago up in st. louis while at work a sleet and snow storm came in and when i went to leave my caravan rear wheels wouldn't turn, got out and looked and thought wth, so just got back in hit the brakes couple of times then put it in reverse didnt break loose so i just put it in gear and hit the gas the rear tires drag for about 10 feet then broke loose and all was fine, checked the rear drums and pads about a month later when i got home and better weather and there was no damage...

10 hours ago, Red99RT said:

So i thought it was a freak thing many months ago but it has happened several times now.  When putting the DJ in reverse or drive leaving driveway, sometimes it will not move and act like the rear calipers are locked up on the rotors.  I have to give it a little throttle and the back end comes up, still doesn't move.  Then I will give it a little more throttle and i hear a loud bang sound, it releases then.  Has anyone had this happen to them?  I'm wondering when i tell the dealer what its doing, if they will even do anything if they can't replicate what its

doing. 

2015 DJ 2.4 SXT

well if it happens at home you might want to jack up both rear tires and see which side is doing it buy turning them by hand at least you would be able to get more info for the dealership to act on....good luck .let us know what you find out....

• 1 month later...

Could be the pistons seizing up in the caliper -it can happen if the boot gets damaged and water / rust gets in so the piston doesn't slide easily anymore.  Happened on one of my rears where the boot was damaged. I just put on a new caliper for around €50 (fitted myself) - was cheaper than replacing a set of tyres!

If its recurring, I suggest new caliper or, you can probably get a kit to service your existing caliper if you want to save cash and have time to spare - this will mean removing the caliper and disassembling and cleaning the piston. They usually come with new boots too. It takes an hour or 2 but is quite satisfying when it all works afterwards.  

I wouldn't ignore it too long however - you'll end up having to get towed and paying through the nose to have it done urgently, not to mention the cost of a replacement car while its off the road.