2014 Journey R/T Purchased - Extended Warranty Worth It?

Good Morning,

I just purchased a 2014 Dodge Journey R/T that was certified used from the dealer. It has 23, 750 miles so it still has the basic warranty until November 2017 and powertrain warranty until August 2021.

However, the dealer offered my an extended warranty for 84 months/100,000 miles (Maximum Care Mopar Vehicle Protection). The cost is $1985. I have to pay this amount out of my own pocket so I'm trying to figure out if the cost will be worth it. Or would it be better just to save the $1985 and put in savings and use it if and when something happens.

Please help.

Thanks,

CJ

http://www.chryslerfactoryplans.com/ check out this site for mopar warranty i got mine from them and was a lot better deal then froma local dfealer...  just plug in your info and you will get a quote right away... as always it depends on how long you plan on keeping your journey i plan to run the wheels off my 2014 so i bought the max unlimited miles and yrs plan with a $100 ded. and at 40k my oil sending unit went bad while out of town so went to a dodge dealer and they said yes i was covered so they gave me a free rental car and took about 4-5 later they called and said its fixed they said it would have cost about 450 -500 with the rental car without the warranty.glad i bought it. i paid about $2200 for my warranty..

Edited by 2late4u

Agree with the above. Depends on how long you intend to keep it. Even a small things cost a lot of money on cars these days. It's generally frowned upon by some members here, but we purchased an aftermarket bumper to bumper warranty through CarMax on ours with a $100 deductible. I've dealt with them before and never had a problem getting repairs approved. I take it to my Dodge dealer and they honor the CarMax warranty. Can't go wrong with a manufacturer warranty though. I highly recommend it. First time your radio or nav craps out and you are out of warranty, you will wish you purchased one. You have to decide if it's worth it to you to pay now or pay later. If you plan on keeping the car, get the warranty.

Edited by jkeaton

Any extended warranty you can get is worth the money.  There are too many costly electronic systems on any car these days, and when they fail, the cost can be great to fix/replace.  There are many levels of extended warranties to choose from.  If you are planning on keeping the vehicle for a long time, get the most expensive one that you can afford.  That is what I do.  I purchased a 2006 Jeep Commander new with Quadra-Drive II (3 electronically controlled limited slip differentials which could send 100% of the torque to 1 wheel!).  After the basic warranty ran out, it developed a strange noise in the front.  Long story short:  I got a completely new total drive train for $100.  So, yes, they are worth every penny when the time comes to use it.

With respect, that last statement requires qualification . . . .

First of all, take no warranty unless it is provided by the manufacturer.

Secondly, you want a full bumper-to-bumper warranty.

Third, decide whether you want a deductible per claim or not.

Fourth, decide how long that warranty should be keeping in mind that a 5 year warranty actually provides 2 extended years on everything that isn't the power train for vehicles sold pre 2016 because before 2016 you had 3/36 5/60 coverage.

If you are in the US buy it from one of the online dealers - solicit a quote and DO NOT buy it right away - they tend to come back and offer a discount of about a hundred dollars after a few weeks . . . . . . if you buy in state you will be paying sales tax, something else to consider.

• 2 months later...

That site is a dealer selling Chrysler's plans - there are several out there and if you fill in a query and then ignore it you will likely be offered discounts from the initial prices.

There are a lot of expensive electronics in the vehicle and if you plan to keep it a factory warranty is well worth considering - even if you don't, the warranty can make selling your vehicle easier and you may get more money.

Whatever you do, if you are buying an extended warranty make certain you get an official OEM Chrysler one unless you want to be put through hoops and have your claims cut back, be charged for diagnostics and be given used or jobber parts.  BTDT.

Edited by bramfrank

1 hour ago, bramfrank said:

That site is a dealer selling Chrysler's plans - there are several out there and if you fill in a query and then ignore it you will likely be offered discounts from the initial prices.

There are a lot of expensive electronics in the vehicle and if you plan to keep it a factory warranty is well worth considering - even if you don't, the warranty can make selling your vehicle easier and you may get more money.

Whatever you do, if you are buying an extended warranty make certain you get an official OEM Chrysler one unless you want to be put through hoops and have your claims cut back, be charged for diagnostics and be given used or jobber parts.  BTDT.

How do you know for sure that you are getting an official OEM Chrysler one?  Does http://www.chryslerfactoryplans.com/ give official OEM Chrysler ones?  MOPAR is the new OEM for Chrysler, is that correct?

that is the site i bought my mopar extended warranty from.He sells the plan a lot cheaper than you can get from your reg dealer. is it worth it? it depends on how long you plan to keep your journey. i plan on driving mine till the wheels fall off i have a 2014 crossroad and already have over 50 k on it, at about 40k after the reg warranty went out i had a problem with the oil pressure sending unit go bad while i was out of town on a trip, so i took it to the local dodge dealership where i was staying ,and they gave me a rental car free of charge and and about 6 hrs later called me said the journey was ready all it cost me was $100. deductible and $7 dollars for tax on something, i asked how much would this have cost without my extended
ed warranty and he said between 450 -500 including the rental car. so i am glad i bought the max lifetime miles and yrs warranty with a 100 deductible per occurrence as long as the repair doesn't cost more then what the journey is worth  at the time of repair i am covered.. and it is a MOPAR warranty good at any dodge dealership in the USA...

Edited by 2late4u

You'll get your money back just on the radio/gps unit. My original lasted 15 months, replacement 7 months. Replacement radio required two trips to dealer and a few phone calls to Sirius when they screw up your account. But what do you want from a 35k vehicle. That's a reason why we lease instead of buy. 2015 AWD R/T