ignition issues

ecl

The issue happened before the part was replaced and has continued since. Not sure how old the battery is but it doesnt act like a weak/ dead battery, once it does fire up its strong and all electronics work so im pretty sure its not a battery issue.  It did it today and didnt want to start and sat for almost an hour trying different things.  I looked up some issues and found that this seems to be a common issue that no one including dealers havent figured out.  Followed some advice pressing the lock then unlock buttons on the key while its in the ignition and the car fired right up.  To me it seems like there is an issue with the security part of the car, like an antitheft device isnt getting turned off some how, not sure if this is the case but maybe.  Ive read about a lot of dealers have thrown a lot of parts at it and still not fixed the issue so im not very hopeful for a good outcome.

So i found a couple videos of the issue.  These are not my videos but its the same issue. Like in the first video I was able to start it in neutral   the first couple times but now that trick doesnt work.

Truth be said it is a 2009 and if it is the original battery possibly in DJ since 2008 ,

get it load tested.

The tranny range selector causes this problem also , it is well posted problem

as it wears out and one of the first indicators is starting in neutral but not park.

I doesnt even start in neutral anymore is the problem.  That trick only worked a couple times now nothing.  After searching this issue seems like there isnt a fix just tricks to get it started that eventually dont work. Im really thinking its an issue with the something to do with the security system, like an antitheft device isnt turning off. I will get the battery tested just to rule it out but im not hopeful at this point for a fix.

On 8/21/2016 at 0:12 AM, ecl said:

Im having issues with my ignition and hoping to see what ever one else thinks or get some advice.  The issue im having is sometimes when I go to start the car I just get a click, not clicking like a low

I too am having this same issue.   I have an '09 with a 3.5L and had the R03 recall done last year.  Recently I went to start the car and nothing happens, just one click.  Turn it off and maybe on the fourth or fifth try it will start.  And yes the car is firmly in Park (actually there's nothing different I do from the times it won't start until the time when it does start).  Recently I found that if I use the Remote Start on my KeyFob, it always starts.  So that may help in troubleshooting, I have an appointment next week.  I'll let you know what they find......

UPDATE: I picked my car up from the dealer and they told me the problem was the WinModule that was replaced last year under the recall.  Luckily my Lifetime Bumper-to-Bumper Warranty covered the repair, but the warranty does not cover KeyFob's, so I had to pay for two new keys.  I called Chrysler to complain that a new WinModule should come with keys and while I understand the warranty doesn't cover KeyFob's, there's nothing wrong with my keys.  The rep agreed that the keys should be covered under the warranty repair, but I'm still waiting to get my money back from the dealer.....

The saga continues.

Edited by brwengel
UPDATE

That would be awesome to know any info they find.  I unfortunately dont have remote start so that wont work but i have found a new trick.  While the key is in the ignition i press the lock and unlock buttons and try again and it will fire up after that.  Found this trick while sitting in the Walmart parking lot trying to start the car for about 45 minutes and none of the other tricks would work. 

• 1 year later...