Installing HID lights on your Journey (step by step)

Thank you. Where is the best place to put the ground wires/rings do you figure? I just ordered a kit from DDM tuning. Can't wait for it to come in!

I hope you're only putting it on the low beams. DRLs (since you're in Canada) run off the high beams at 50% intensity, and you'll be in for a ton of issues if you try putting HIDs on high beams (even without DRLs, for that matter).

I hope you're only putting it on the low beams. DRLs (since you're in Canada) run off the high beams at 50% intensity, and you'll be in for a ton of issues if you try putting HIDs on high beams (even without DRLs, for that matter).

Yeah just doing the lows. I don't do a whole lot of highway driving, figured for my highs I could just get away with getting regular bulbs that are maybe a bit more white than the usual ugly yellow that comes with.

Thank you. Where is the best place to put the ground wires/rings do you figure? I just ordered a kit from DDM tuning. Can't wait for it to come in!

Anywhere with bare metal. I usually sand off paint in a small area and use self tapping screws. That way I can install them wherever it makes sense to do so... If you do that, make sure to rub dielectric grease on it after they are tightened to avoid rusting and connection issues...

Anywhere with bare metal. I usually sand off paint in a small area and use self tapping screws. That way I can install them wherever it makes sense to do so... If you do that, make sure to rub dielectric grease on it after they are tightened to avoid rusting and connection issues...

Aiight. My cobalt had great spots to put them and I have yet to pop the hood on the journey to get a good look at where everything is under there. I didn't always use that dielectric grease until someone a few years ago recommended usin it on those and in the connectors/plugs of the hid kit itself. Made a good difference. Haha

well here it is hid 6000 k with led fogs sorry i took so long

attachicon.gifDSCN0252 (800x602).jpg

Looks good JF....I am still trying to figure the most cost effective way to upgrade the lights currently on my CVP DJ 2014. Don't really want to mess around with wiring and conversions...I also need something that will withstand teh Canadian Winter and come on exactly when I turn it on.

Note: The CVP DJ does not have Fog lights

Suggestions please

i will do that later, i used putco led bulbs as below

Where did you order them and for how much? The putco website doesn't sell them. 30W for the fog lights is super impressive. I was going to order 5W ones cause that was the best I could find.

Looks good JF....I am still trying to figure the most cost effective way to upgrade the lights currently on my CVP DJ 2014. Don't really want to mess around with wiring and conversions...I also need something that will withstand teh Canadian Winter and come on exactly when I turn it on.

Note: The CVP DJ does not have Fog lights

Suggestions please

i got mine from light depot canada, these were just plug in and go, no messing around with relays or anything, took about 10 minutes to do, they turn on when they should and turn off when they should so far all going very well :)

I got my HID plug and play on ebay $ 45 and free shipping , cree led fog lights $ 20 and free shipping on ebay and cree 9005 led high beam for $ 10 . They all work great and look good also .

do your fog light bulb have the optic lens on the end of the bulb, i feel this makes a lot of difference to the beam

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just installed the new XB LED fog lights from TRS.

They turned out great, I'll be doing a how to in the next few weeks.

Here are a few pictures.

1st pic, how the XB LED fog light fits.

2nd pic, left side factory, right side New LED fog light.

3rd pic, Completed both LED fog lights.

post-8859-0-96986500-1404803001_thumb.jp

post-8859-0-91686200-1404803025_thumb.jp

post-8859-0-99072200-1404803047_thumb.jp

Edited by Powerz69

I just installed the new XB LED fog lights from TRS.

They turned out great, I'll be doing a how to in the next few weeks.

Here are a few pictures.

1st pic, how the XB LED fog light fits.

2nd pic, left side factory, right side New LED fog light.

3rd pic, Completed both LED fog lights.

Gorgeous... Love the TRS products. Putting that one on the list for sure!

• 5 months later...

I can not get the relay to stop buzzing on my Journey. Theres no problem with flickering or anything since I've added the capacitors. I have slim hid ballasts. A Relay. 2 plug and play capacitors. Ive read that I should only need one of the capacitors, but when i only have the one connected my lights wont come on with the car running. I have the relay hooked up to the fuse box instead of straight to the battery. Could that be causing the issue?

The relay is controlled by drivers side headlight plug and connected to the fuse box for power (not directly to the battery). The Capacitors are plugged between the relay and the headlight.

I just dont use my headlights because I dont want to blow the capacitor or the fuse until I figure out the problem. My fog lights are HID as well and they work fine.

post-8761-0-43640100-1419899021_thumb.jp

Make sure your wires match up. Remove the caps and plug the factory headlight plug into the relay harness, black to black or red to red I cannot remember. See if the relays stop buzzing. Install the cap again make sure the wires match up again if you can see them. You should really have the relay harness hooked up to the battery with an inline fuse.

Does everything work with the DJ not running? If so double check the wires before the relay harness making sure they match up.