Installing HID lights on your Journey (step by step)

Did you do any research before you made that statement? Journey lens(headlights) are made for HIDs also. So yes, there are projected. If you read our theards on this site, you will see how we thought dodge was smart to give owners the option of installing HIDs by giving us project lens(headlights) standard. One owner on here had his HIDs installed by the dealer. Dealers only install options that are meant for the cars they sell (you can't get a Kenwood radio installed at a dealer). If you own a Journey, please do some research about the car you drive. You will see what I'm saying is true (I could prove it and just tell you where to find it on the car, but reading for yourself is better). Also, a good rule of thumb is to never look directly into on coming traffic. HIDs or not, your eyes will adjust to that light and you will have a hard time seeing.....just a thought.....

yep ... stick your nose in the headlamps housing , you will see that the low beam bulb is covered so Halogen or HID the light is projected. However High beam is not.

yep ... stick your nose in the headlamps housing , you will see that the low beam bulb is covered so Halogen or HID the light is projected. However High beam is not.

OK if that is the case I just want to point out Subaru Forester comes with HID headlights and they do not use a projected beam. And this is not an after market HID this comes stock equipped on some trim levels, and yes bulb is covered. Same thing with the Acura CSX also HID stock at some trim levels and once again no projected beam.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey all . . .am an electrical guy . . . here is the explanation on why you need the relay kit and capacitor when installing HID headlights on the Mopar products, at least as far as I have been able to ascertain :

1) Standard Halogen bulbs that come with the car are 55 watts each. The computer pulses the voltage (very quickly) to the bulb to get a signal back stating that the bulb is working, no signal back, then the lamp out indicator comes on, on the dash.

2) HID headlights use the ballast for the high voltage ignition needed to strike the arc in the bulb (the arc tube), and then hold the current to a proper level. The ballasts are rated 35watts, and some newer "digital" ones are rated 55watts . . .either one will work in our applications.

3) Because of the pulse to the bulb, as stated above, what you need to do, is wire the ballasts up to the battery, through the relay. So when you turn on the headlight switch, it turns on the relay, which has a "normally open" contact that "closes" when the relay is turned on - thus completing the circuit between the battery and the HID ballasts. Also, in order to "fool the computer" that there is no problem with the bulb, you add the capacitor in parallel (i.e. across the plus & minus terminal of the relay). The capacitor charges up and will discharge into the bulb circuit, when the pulse happens - telling the computer that there is no bulb out issue.

4) When you install the HID this way, you need to protect the wire, and the relay, between the battery terminal and the relay. DO NOT use a fuse in this circuit !! I repeat DO NOT use a fuse in this circuit . . . if the fuse opens, you have NO HEADLIGHTS at all . . . what you should install is an automotive circuit breaker (typically 25amp will work fine). This way, if there is a problem, the circuit breaker will open, then cool down and reclose - so you might have pulsing headlights, but at least you have headlights !!! . . . these circuit breakers are available at any automotive supply store, and will fit the fuse holder that comes with these relay kits.

Hope that helps clarify !

Cheers

Mark

OK if that is the case I just want to point out Subaru Forester comes with HID headlights and they do not use a projected beam. And this is not an after market HID this comes stock equipped on some trim levels, and yes bulb is covered. Same thing with the Acura CSX also HID stock at some trim levels and once again no projected beam.

When we say "projected", all we/it means is that the light is more focused on the road and not reflected all over the place. Example: I'm sure we have all seen someone (mostly teens in a older car) with HIDs and the light is blinding everyone on the road. The lens on older cars are not "projecting" the light toward the road. HID light is more intense than Halagens so the lens must be made different to "project" the light the right way.

The real reason the lights flicker and sometimes not come on is cause of the CAN-BUS system,its acting like a dummy light and it will try to turn the light off and on. Adding the cap cause a load on the circuit thinking that its all ok cause the HID uses less energy and plus your using a relay harness.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Got mine installed the other day, but being that we don't do a whole lot of driving at night, I still haven't taken the Journey out on the road at night so I don't even know how good the HID's look yet, but I know they are working from right after I installed them. I went with 6000K, wired using the capacitor and relay, and got it all grounded. Can't wait to drive at night.

For your fogs, you can buy an HID kit for those as well that match the color output of your heads. That's what I'd do if you want the uniformed look. Make sure if you do though, that your fogs aren't blinding other drivers.

On a side note, I've had many cars with HIDs and have learned a lot along the way. Even if you have halogen housings, as long as you AIM your lights downward after installing, you won't blind other drivers. However, for those that don't aim and go with factory settings, you may and will be blinding oncoming traffic. I learned the hard way and have learned from my mistakes. So please, make sure you aim your lights after installing.

• 1 month later...

I'm going to revive this thread and ask some questions regarding the HIDs:

-If I install HIDs, will the headlights still remain on or when unlocking, will they turn on?

-Given the 2011 have the 'Auto' headlight function, will this still work if HIDs are installed? I really like the feature of not needing to turn on the headlights and let them automatically turn on

Thanks in advance!

• 6 months later...

I purchased a hid set. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004ZF35GM/ref=oh_o05_s03_i00_details and these http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001P1WRXG/ref=oh_o06_s00_i00_details which work very nicely, but they do flicker a tad bit every now and again. They are very easy to install and look awsome. I have led fog lights, hid brights and dims and also have led 6w rear backup lights and they all work super nicely. The only thing is that I used a set of putco high watt bulbs for headlights before these and they burned one side of the factory headlight plug, it still works but is loose, so I had to put a piece of wire down in the socket along with the hid plug to make a snug enough fit so they would stay connected. I did see a tiny bit of flicker with the dims on from time to time over the first couple of days, so I purchased this, http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/Error-Code-Eliminator-3-PAIR and It should solve the problems, I will update when I put them on. They are to stop the voltage difference on newer Dodge vehicles and allow the hid's to run properly ie. without flickering.

• 6 months later...

Ok...I installed a pair of 8000k hid's in my 09 Journey today. Love them! However, I did not use a relay harness and they work fine. So...a couple questions:

1. Should I purchase and install a harness anyway? If so, why? Would I be saving the wiring of my Journey possibly?

2. Do I really need a capacitor? If so, why...& how are they installed?

I'm assuming if I do install this other equipment, I'll wrap most of it in electrical tape to protect the connections from water.

Thanks for the help in advance!

1. It's a basic after-market set from EBay. Paid $60 for them. Don't believe it's can bus. Ballasts are small.

2. I noticed no flickering at all as I drove for about 30 minutes last night. Didn't try on off with engine running last night, but did just after installation during day without engine on. I do have the "auto" lights on.

I have had no errors on the computer, either.

Edited by bigdog5142

As long as you don't have any flickering and they come on with the engine running, I would leave it just like that.

The slim (digital) ballast don't "need" to be connected to the battery relay.

I see the input voltage is very broad, maybe that's why they are not flickering.

Every hid kit I've seen on new cars flicker cause they are not canbus.

Either way, enjoy them and don't worry about it.

I have a kit on my caravan, the flickering is minimal. I can only notice it if I'm facing a flat white wall , and engine running.

My main issue is the lights not always turning on with the engine running.

I have to predict if I'm going to need the lights on at start up. Lmao!!

I've tried the relay too, and shorted it 2 hours into it. I've just adapt to it by now.

😏

The flickering shouldn't be visible to other drivers, if it's very slight, like mine.

I've seen my wife drive my car away, can't notice the flicker.

Now the actual problem with HID aftermarket kits, is the crazy light pattern.

If you're concern, just adjust your lights down some.

There's kits on the market that are specially made for canbus controlled cars like the DJ.

They cost a little more, and the ballast is a little bigger.

Just search - 9006 HID canbus -

• 3 weeks later...

Ok...well, now my passenger side HID doesn't come on with the auto feature enabled. In fact, it seems as though I have to turn on the lights before the engine is running. It just started doing this. The driver side works with auto or by turning it on. What could that be? Bad ballast? All the connections are fine.