Yesterday I started my car and drove across town only to get to my destination and couldn't find my key. I assumed that the key fob was in my bag buried or in the car because I drove there. I go about my errands and try to get back into my car but I cant. I figured i locked the key fob inside of it, which I don't think can happen if the key fob is around the car but that's where my mind went. CAA shows up and gets my door opened and alarm blasting off but there is no key fob in sight. I call home(which again is across town) and my key fob is sitting pretty on the counter back at home.

My 2015 Journey SXT let me start my car and drove across town with no key in it! My family mechanic and the CAA could not believe it. I cant believe it. 

Does anyone know why it would let me do that? I was thinking about calling the dealership or manufacturer.. Possible faulty sensor? 

My '11 DJ would start with my fob in my jacket hanging in the front hall

closet.

Having said that the wall of the closet was only 3 feet from the DJ parked in my garage.

Could be the same circumstance with good conditions for transfer of signal in your case ,

Before you get bent out of shape try having some hold the fob at different distances

to rule out funny coincidence.

Mine will start with the FOB upstairs (basement garage, so the car is right below). Depends on FOB battery condition and signal strength as to how far away the FOB can be. That being said, you should have gotten the "FOB not detected" message on the EVIC once you got out of range. Welcome to the forum.

Edited by jkeaton

My garage is attached to my house.  The hook for my keys is in the kitchen, which is attached to the garage; about 20' through one wall.  I always get the "No Key Detected" error message if I forget the FOB.  As mentioned:  do you have another FOB somewhere in the car, or sitting somewhere in the proximity of where you park your car?

@bramfrank Thank you for your reply!!!

1- No the key fobs were both in the house.

2-I have the factory car starter installed

@jkeaton @dhh3 @bigtsr Thank you for all of your replies!! The proximity would have been about 50 feet away through 3 walls and a garage door. This did cross my mind but concerns me that if it is working from so far away that anyone could just come and take it from the driveway because it senses the key and woohoo free car!! haha

Edited by Stephanie Elizabeth

Were your your doors locked yesterday before you left for your errands? If they were locked you must have had your key fob. Did you forget something and have to go back into the house after starting your Journey and simply put the key fob on the counter and then forgot to grab the fob again? It's easy to do if you're distracted.

Even if it had been detected from inside your home, you'd get an alert when you eventually did drive out of range.  If you'd had an aftermarket car starter they usually put in a dummy transponder to allow the car to be started and if the starter had malfunctioned it might have put the starter's transponder on line . . . . the car would start with the pushbutton in that case and you'd never get the 'missing key' alert.

I suppose that there's been a glitch - if it still starts without the transponder you might consider trying to reset the vehicle by disconnecting the battery for 15 or so minutes.

@rolly @BlindSquirrel Thanks for replying!   When I arrived at my destination and shut the car of I couldn't find the key. When I closed the door and went to lock it I tried the exterior button to lock on the handle did not work..Assuming I had  the key based on the fact I drove there I locked it by pressing the interior lock button on the door panel where you open the windows etc(such technical terms I know lol) 

@bramfrank I have the factory car starter.. that was the first thing the dealership looked up. I spoke to the dealership and they have no idea wheat could have happened. They, as well as everyone, have never heard about this happening BUT in order to know what is wrong I have to duplicate it again.. so of course I tried last night and it worked like it was supposed too. I am thinking just a random glitch but I am going to keep trying to re-create it.