Random shaking

emmie956

I have a 2009 Journey with close to 13,000 miles on it. Not long after getting my car last July (08) I noticed on left turns it would make a noise. They replaced my steering resevoir. That sound has went away. For those who have experienced this.

My car has a skaking to it. There are times it shakes so bad if feels like the car will fall apart. It happens mostly between 40-60 mph. It has caused my check engine light to come on. When it shakes violently the check engine light blinks and dings. I does it at random times. Some days it happens a lot and other day hardly at all.

The dealership cannont find the problem. When they have my car it does not do it for them. I have read through the post on here and wondered if anyone has had this fixed? If so did it stop? One person said for them it was a #5 piston. Just wanted to see if there were others this worked for...

Today I noticed my remote start did not work. I paid extra money for it and it is nice when winter rolls around...is the remote start part of the problem above? Either way it will be mentioned to the service department when they decide to call me again. They were supposed to get me a car to use for a night so they could figure out what is going on with mine. JUST WANT ISSUE RESOLVED! Scared to drive my car too far away in fear it will break down and I won't have cell phone coverage.

Please let me know of any issues like this I can suggest to my dealership.

Thanks for reading my post.

When the engine light is on, the remote starter will not work. For the shaking problem, I don't know... I didn't have it.

A blinking Check engine light 99% of the time is refering to a misfire in a cylinder. Count how may times it blinks per cycle. that count per cycle is what cylinder is misfiring.

example: blink.blink. blink..........blink.blink.blink..........

So each set of words count as one cycle, 3 blinks = cylinder # 3 is misfiring. If it is a consistant blink, usually means cylinder 1 is misfireing.

Misfires also can cause intense shaking of the vehicle because the firing order is off and it is thowing the engine off balanace, and the harmonic balancer does not have enough to compensate.

Remember to have the CEL checked out and read by the dealer (if still under warranty) to confirm these suggestions.

UPDATE: Casues of misfires are as follows,

1) fowled plugs/bad plugs

2) bad wires/coil/coil pack

3) carbon build up in cylinder

3a) poor fuel (can also cause abnormal carbon build up)

3b) wrong grade fuel or lower than recommends...this holds especially true if you live in California with the stricter standards (same as 3 and 3a)

the most logical choices because you said it is random, it # 1 and 2.

Carbon build up would make a more consitant misfire, where an actuall electrical problem with the car would usually be more random.

The dealership called today and picked up my car. It finally registered a #5 fuel injector is misfiring. They said they will replace it tomorrow (have to order part) and the problem should be solved. I will update incase someone else has this issue.

When you buy a car it comes with the 2 sets of keys. My remote start has not been working. I used one set and after a year I switched to the 2nd set. My 1st set still work but my 2nd set do not start my car...all other buttons work. They are going to check that while they have my car tomorrow.

I hope this will solve the problem. Thanks for the advice from the 2 replies....I gave them my suggestions. Also my car is only a year old 2009 Journey, so it is definitely under warrenty.

The dealership called today and picked up my car. It finally registered a #5 fuel injector is misfiring. They said they will replace it tomorrow (have to order part) and the problem should be solved. I will update incase someone else has this issue.

When you buy a car it comes with the 2 sets of keys. My remote start has not been working. I used one set and after a year I switched to the 2nd set. My 1st set still work but my 2nd set do not start my car...all other buttons work. They are going to check that while they have my car tomorrow.

I hope this will solve the problem. Thanks for the advice from the 2 replies....I gave them my suggestions. Also my car is only a year old 2009 Journey, so it is definitely under warrenty.

I am glad they have figured out the possibility. One thing you need to look out for, is just how long that cylinder had a misfie...if there is enough carbon build up, replacing the faulty injector will not solve the problem as the crbon build up is already there...they would ahve to do use some type of intake clearner like Sea Foam, and pour it through the brake booster lines that connect on the intake to clean out the deposits (we do it here, its common place on High millage Mini Coopers).

I am glad they have figured out the possibility. One thing you need to look out for, is just how long that cylinder had a misfie...if there is enough carbon build up, replacing the faulty injector will not solve the problem as the crbon build up is already there...they would ahve to do use some type of intake clearner like Sea Foam, and pour it through the brake booster lines that connect on the intake to clean out the deposits (we do it here, its common place on High millage Mini Coopers).

Well they picked my car up friday. The kid brought it back before I had to leave from work. I said is it fixed and he said no...the guy in charge would call me. The guy called and LIED told me it was fixed. I am not sure if they did anything to it. I have been dealing with the misfire for over a month now. I going to call a different dealer. I am so mad that he lied to me. I did not want the kid to get into trouble for telling me the truth. I think I may try to report the guy too. I feel like he has been yanking my chain this whole time. What angers me the most is I pay a lot for this vehicle & I am never late with my payments. I also purchased this car from this dealership. By the time this guy fixes my car my engine will be shot. I really love this car, but they are making me hate it.

• 2 months later...
Well they picked my car up friday. The kid brought it back before I had to leave from work. I said is it fixed and he said no...the guy in charge would call me. The guy called and LIED told me it was fixed. I am not sure if they did anything to it. I have been dealing with the misfire for over a month now. I going to call a different dealer. I am so mad that he lied to me. I did not want the kid to get into trouble for telling me the truth. I think I may try to report the guy too. I feel like he has been yanking my chain this whole time. What angers me the most is I pay a lot for this vehicle & I am never late with my payments. I also purchased this car from this dealership. By the time this guy fixes my car my engine will be shot. I really love this car, but they are making me hate it.

mine just started to shake too ,the wife is going to take it in and get it check out and it's a 2010! and we just got it in november last month! .it's nice to have these fourms so you can see if any one else has had problems

so i guess all it was is that the wheel wells or the front drive shaft get snow packed in and freeze and you can't go very fast,or it will start to shake ,to solve this problem take it to a car wash and wash it out(wheel well) at least that's what the dealership told me!.all i did in sted of that is put it in some where warm!!and let it melt

I took my vehicle to a different dealership a month ago. They ordered parts and told me I would have to bring it back. The day I took (Friday, Nov 13) it back they replaced my 5th injector, coil and spark plug. They also told the code said number 5 again and catalytic converter. There was a software update and they down loaded it. On Tuesday the 17th my check engine light came back on.

I have to take my car in again tomorrow. I have not been on here to keep everyone updated because it frustrates me. I know my problem is not snow or ice around my wheel wells. We have not had any yet. But that is good to know too.

I have had my steering reservoir replaced, my #5 fuel injector, coil, and plug all replaced. Now my catalytic converter is doing something. My shaking has not been as bad, but it does not go away anymore. There is a constant shake that was never there until the random shaking started.

I will have to see what they say tomorrow.

• 3 years later...
Am having a misfire in my cylinder 3 in my 2009 journey. After scrolling through the posts i am wondering if anyone ever found the solution?

How do you know? If you're sure its a misfire in the cylinder chamber, I believe that engine work should be done at the dealer (or a mechanic you trust). The dealer would be the best place to start. If you don't like what you hear, go to a mechanic you trust. Best of Luck.

Peace.

• 4 years later...

I stumbled across this forum trying to find answers concerning my 2009 dodge journey.  Two weeks ago it started shaking to the point I felt it was not safe to drive. I took it to a mechanic, he stated the problem was the #3 fuel injector. Payed close to $400.00 to get it fixed. Got the phone call today that my vehicle was ready to be picked up. Driving the vehicle home it was fine. About 2 hours later left home to pick up kids from school not even a quarter mile down the road and the engine light started dinging and blinking. Then the shaking started again. So I drove it back to the mechanic left it in there lot and told them that the issue had not been resolved. Was just wondering if anybody else figured out what the problem was.