Parts only available from Mopar?

Hi, I just bought a 2011 Journey R/T. Drove it for a week until I found a puddle of power steering fluid in the driveway. It has spent the last week in the shop because my mechanic can't order parts except from Mopar, in Portland.

I am in Vancouver, Canada and am blown away that parts like PS pump, rack & pinion and hoses aren't available locally. Is this common for these vehicles? I am starting to doubt my mechanic. It isn't the first time one of my vehicles has been in for over a week due to parts ordering.

Also, he says these Journeys are notorious for power steering pump/R&P issues just under 60,000 miles. Any experience on this?

Moved to the correct section. Welcome to the forum. A quick internet search for 2011 Dodge Journey power steering pump brings up several sites that sell them (U.S. of course). Only issue I know of is the hoses leaking in colder climate cars. There is a recall out for this.

Thanks.

I had the recall taken care of the first week I had the car. Then this issue happened a few days later. So far it has been a rough go.

I have asked my brother in law who runs a parts distribution company in a different part of Canada if they typically carry these parts. Waiting to hear back. Think it might be time for a new mechanic.

... if I'm reading this right you must have an independent vehicle mechanic and not associated with a nearby Dodge dealership, anyway my point is can your mechanic get the part from a nearby Dodge dealership who probably carries the part in stock there so you can drive your DJ sooner?

complete rack and piñon is available from rockauto also the pump and hoses ... see for your self rockauto.com ... input your male and model and you see under stearing all the parts you need.

http://www.rockauto.com/m/mobilecatalog.php

Edited by Dusty256

... if I'm reading this right you must have an independent vehicle mechanic and not associated with a nearby Dodge dealership, anyway my point is can your mechanic get the part from a nearby Dodge dealership who probably carries the part in stock there so you can drive your DJ sooner?

Yes, independent mechanic. But the mechanic claims that none of the Dodge dealerships in the greater Vancouver area (2.6 million people) have this part, that it needs to be ordered from the US.

Update: My brother in law (mentioned) says they have these parts available. Not necessary to go through Dodge. Is it standard for independent mechanics to go through Dodge and not other auto parts suppliers?

At this point we are just waiting on a hose, until Friday.

What did the local FCA dealer have to say? The recall is brand new and a failure within a week of replacing the cooler and hoses is, to my mind very 'coincidental'. I don't recall seeing any posts here or in the Facebook pages about failures of this type either.

What did the local FCA dealer have to say? The recall is brand new and a failure within a week of replacing the cooler and hoses is, to my mind very 'coincidental'. I don't recall seeing any posts here or in the Facebook pages about failures of this type either.

I had the dealership do the recall when they were installing my hitch wiring. I asked my independent mechanic if it was related to the work the dealership did and he said that it was more likely coincidental. But who knows who I can trust?

Luckily the guy I bought it off caught wind of it (through my brother in law). As he rebuilds insurance write-offs, and this was one of his rebuilds, he felt bad for not catching that and is offering to pay for parts. So it still kind of sucks, but only half as bad.

dhh3, on 07 Jul 2016 - 2:18 PM, said:

Everyone has a right to his/her own opinion. I only buy from my Dealer. No issues.

No argument. I could say the same thing about some cheap dealer parts as well that fail prematurely. Like the brake rotors on our first Journey.... :lol:

Rock Auto has always been a great option for me as most parts I need they offer both genuine and aftermarket.

I also find them to half the price most other places offer. fast shipping and quality parts. you can also buy the cheaper get by till you sell it parts too but they do sell high quality stuff at a fair price