Oil Change Reminder - Modification

kellman

Can someone tell me how to change the parameters that control the oil change reminder interval?

I wishes to change it from the factory recommendation to my own settings, in other words, I want it to remind me at 8,000 miles.

Vehicle is no longer under warranty.

2013 Journey

2.4 cylinder

Thank you in advance.

You can't. Just change the oil when you want to and reset the light when you do. The light operates off some complex algorithms in the computer. It may come on at 8000 miles, may come on at 4000 miles, it may come on at 2000 miles. It's all based on driving cycles, driving habits, etc.

Edited by jkeaton

Can someone tell me how to change the parameters that control the oil change reminder interval?

I wishes to change it from the factory recommendation to my own settings, in other words, I want it to remind me at 8,000 miles.

Vehicle is no longer under warranty.

2013 Journey

2.4 cylinder

Thank you in advance.

what ? why would you want to push the oil change that long .. I ingore the oil change reminder and just change it at 6000 miles and the reset the system .. it's easy to reset ...

of course some times I get froggy and change it at 3000 miles.

what ? why would you want to push the oil change that long .. I ingore the oil change reminder and just change it at 6000 miles and the reset the system .. it's easy to reset ...

of course some times I get froggy and change it at 3000 miles.

I have been reading about oil myths.

Check it out here.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-care/stop-changing-your-oil.html

last time i was at my dealership i asked them when should i have the trans serviced as i was getting close to 40 k and he said well we recommend that you change it around 35-45k so i said well doesn't the book call for it at about 120 k unless you do a lot of towing or heavy duty service then at 60 k . he just looked at me and said yes thats what the book says but you asked me what we recommend and i told you. so i guess he told me in his mind to go **** my self, but thats how they make their money i guess...

Interesting how you were right at the correct mileage and just happened to be there! Lol. I always just go by the book.

As for my oil, Mobile 1 every 5k. I just reset the reminder when it comes on at 2,500... I use the second trip od to keep track.