Off roading

mfeel

hi all!

i have a question... is the dodge journey rt AWD a good car for off road? Off road not as in little dirt, nono. Real off road with hills, rocks, sand, mud and all the kit!

thanks in advance!

Edited by mfeel

You have got to be kidding. The DJ is NOT a Jeep. If you feel the need to ruin your DJ, go for it. The coupling (transfer case) for the AWD is a viscus clutch, a serious of plates encased in jelly. When wheels begin to spin, the plates spin and heat up the jelly to make the connection to the rear wheels. The first time you get stuck you are bound to destroy this coupling and I doubt if your warranty would cover it. It's your DJ; treat it the way you want to.

hi all!

i have a question... is the dodge journey rt AWD a good car for off road? Off road not as in little dirt, nono. Real off road with hills, rocks, sand, mud and all the kit!

thanks in advance!

I say go for it and find out. Be sure to take pictures of the carnage.

A couple of years ago, Car & Driver took a bunch of Crossovers to the Dunes in Michigan. They burned all the clutches out and the Durango ended up towing them out. It has real transfer case with gears because it is basically RWD.

Subaru's are a flat 4 (boxer) with a trans axle for the front wheels. The drive shaft for the rear comes off of the the rear of the transmission just like any RWD vehicle. I'm not sure if it is hooked directly, or if their is a differential (gears) or a clutch (plates).

hi all!

thanks in advance!

go for it !!!! sure the damage done would NOT be covered under warranty... it's not a 4x4 . the all wheel drive system was meant for slippery road conditions not muddling rock climbing etc ..

of course if you are going to drive that new journey through a mud bog be sure to make a video of it ...

• 5 months later...

me and my wife have taken our crossroad all over upstate NY and the Outer banks in the sand dunes, back roads, power line trails, with the factory tires we have had no problems 20K miles in so far. this year i am replacing the 19" rims with 17" and going with an all terrain BFgoodrich tire. the picture posted is a day after we took our crossroad home. in a power line trail in Upstate NY.

IMG_1417.JPG

3 hours ago, probak118 said:

Just curious, why go from 19" tires to 17" ? I would have thought the larger diameter tire would be better for off road type trails having more clearance under the DJ ?. 

Ground clearance is exactly the same for all sizes of wheel because the sidewalls of the tires are taller to compensate.

But you have a lot more 'give' with a taller sidewall, which makes the smaller wheel more forgiving from the perspective of ride..

• 4 weeks later...