Hello from Southeast Virginia

KnightRoller

Last winter we took a vacation to Las Vegas for my wife's 50th birthday. We chose to rent a car and drive out to Grand Canyon along with other points around Arizona. I chose a SUV in the event we experienced foul weather (nothing terrible thank goodness) and the vehicle they gave us was a Journey SXT.

I completely love my 2011 Chrysler 200 convertible, especially the 3.6 Pentastar engine and 6spd Auto Stick. The rental Journey was equipped with the same powertrain and the next four days reeled me in on the benefits of this versatile machine.

Now that we're considering replacing my wife's SUV I'm far more curious, so I have some questions. Do I post them here or in each appropriate forum? Mostly they concern trim options, reliability, and accessories.

Looking forward to sharing and learning more, so thanks in advance!

Great! For starters, is the AWD system the same as the one used in the Jeep Cherokee? I've noticed quite a few equipped with AWD but my rental was FWD. I know I'll lean toward a more nicely equipped model w/sunroof/nav/etc, and since I'll be shopping used (2012-up) are there any certain models/years I should avoid?

Welcome to the forum. The DJ is basically FWD, even with AWD. AWD kicks in when wheel spin is detected, even when going around corners. Had my FWD for two winters now. To me, the AWD is unnecessary weight.

I'm guessing most R/T will be AWD? The rental I had was FWD and it handled mountain roads and some foul weather just fine. I loved the 8.4 Uconnect...much nicer than the one in my 2011 vert. I've added a K&N intake and Summit chambered muffs and the sound/power is too much fun.

Which models come without the 3rd row seating? Or is that just a "check box" option on all? That feels like added weight also for something seldom used.

I also posted in the Wheel/tire section about aftermarket rims...or should I have asked that here since I'm not an owner yet?

If you ever plan to have passengers in the back though, I would definitely get the third row option just for the rear HVAC vents and controls. That's a huge benefit in cooling the vehicle quickly. I can't imagine it's that much extra weight, maybe 50 lbs or so. Nothing like the extra weight of AWD.

I can see how the third row can be beneficial for those occasions when needed (kids/grandkids) and they can be folded for most of the time. I've also noticed most of my Autotrader seaches knock out most of the nicely optioned models if I uncheck AWD...I hate it when that happens! LOL

If you want an SUV with true 4WD, get a Jeep. AWD is not 4WD.

The third row doesn't give up that much cargo space (unless an extra 6 inches or so of cargo space depth is make or break territory for you).

As stated above, the 3rd row will open up the rear climate control options, which you can't get with a 2 row version. If rear passenger comfort is a concern, get the 3rd row (even if you leave the third row stowed for the entire time you own the vehicle).

Bluetooth is a must. It integrates so well into the Uconnect radio. It's intuitive. It works (99% of the time, and most of my issues are from my cheap phone).