First Impressions of 6 Speed Trans

pete0403

Hello All, nice to see there is a good community online for the DJ. My previous car was a Pontiac Grand Prix that was supercharged and modified so it is a bit of a change. The DJ has about 50 less HP than the GP had but it still has good power for hauling around a 4000lb vehicle.

It's a little to get used to feeling the all-motor power and the high level of stock torque management programming but the biggest thing to get used to has been the 6 speed transmission.

It seems awkward and a little herky-jerky at times when under very light throttle (stop and go traffic).

Maybe I've just been granny driving it too much and have to push it a little to get the feel for the shift points.

Is this a normal impression of the transmission or should I just give out a little more time.

It's a 2014 Limited trim with 10,000km.

Thanks for reading :)

Welcome to the forum. Since you bought it it used, it is "used" to the previous driver's habits. Have the Dealer recalibrate it for you. Then, drive it normal for you. It will "learn" your driving habits and adjust for you.

I bought mine new. I rarely feel it shift.

Thanks! That makes sense. Can I achieve the same thing by disconnecting the battery for awhile?

Then again, I did want to take it to the dealer to ask if a certain "groaning" noise is normal and point out some small points of rust that are already starting. So maybe I'll just wait so I don't reset the radio and everything with disconnecting the battery.

Thanks again. Definitely looking forward to a 10-15 year love affair with this Dodge!

Welcome to the forum. Since you bought it it used, it is "used" to the previous driver's habits. Have the Dealer recalibrate it for you. Then, drive it normal for you. It will "learn" your driving habits and adjust for you.

I bought mine new. I rarely feel it shift.

my local dodge guy told me once you reset it it will take a few miles for the tranny to learn you habits... mine shifts smooth as silk and only seeing the tach move about do I know it's going through the gears...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
On 5/7/2016 at 3:30 PM, pete0403 said:

Hello All, nice to see there is a good community online for the DJ. My previous car was a Pontiac Grand Prix that was supercharged and modified so it is a bit of a change. The DJ has about 50 less HP than the GP had but it still has good power for hauling around a 4000lb vehicle.

It's a little to get used to feeling the all-motor power and the high level of stock torque management programming but the biggest thing to get used to has been the 6 speed transmission.

It seems awkward and a little herky-jerky at times when under very light throttle (stop and go traffic).

Maybe I've just been granny driving it too much and have to push it a little to get the feel for the shift points.

Is this a normal impression of the transmission or should I just give out a little more time.

It's a 2014 Limited trim with 10,000km.

Thanks for reading :)

Over time it will get slightly better, however still expect some jerkiness from time to time. Occasionally when I come to a stop, the transmission decides to act like it has no clue what it is doing, that is the only time it really catches me off guard.  Other than those instances I have either grown accustomed to it, or it has learned my driving habits. Just give it some time :-)