Transmission in Limp mode - electrical issue?

While driving normally, my 2011 journey mainstreet V6 went into Limp mode (about 2 months ago). They did program and take it out of limp mode but said there is an electrical issue and need 2 hours or more of diagnosis time (200 dollars). I denied that service at that time.

Fast forward 2 months, the same issue happened again. The code is transmission line pressure high. Also, there is traction control light on which has been on for 1+ year but there is no issue.

Does anyone know how to take it out of limp mode? I did unplug the negative for overnight 2 times but it did not help the issue.

Has anyone had similar issue and what was done to fix it? I would rather try something quick myself than give 200+ dollars to dealer only to tell me even bigger issue.

Thank much!

Try turning the traction control off and see if that works. My dads suv recently did that and the traction light was on. Pretty much wheel sensor was telling the computer that the tire was slipping when it actually wasn't and cut almost all the power to the wheels. He was able to drive it on the highway only if he turned the traction control off. Worth a shot lol. But you will definitely need to have it diagnosed and serviced.

You should repair this issue rather than try to reset it. However, if a reset is your only viable option right now, make sure you disconnect the negative at the battery and not at the jump start post under the hood. There is still power present on the TCM bus with the jump start post off. Only with the negative off of the battery will a hard tranny code clear. And if it is an active fault rather than a stored one, it will not reset no matter how many times you disconnect it.

Hi,

It has 78K miles. I think trans fluid was changed around 50K (but not sure) -- I bought used at around 55K miles. It ran OK for 20K miles (the check engine came on and off intermittent with Trans pressure too high but it always ran OK).

I did leave it to dealer to figure out the limp mode issue. They said some electrical issue is causing that trans issue (just verbally they said). After that, I will get trans fluid and filter changed anyways.

TCS light: I push TCS off switch but it makes no difference. The car runs just as usual.

I also had one wheel bearing and Hub changed as well (it was making noise when turning -- but that's a difference issue).

Thanks everyone for their help!

I got the Journey fixed by the Dstealership

1. Transmission Valve was replaced (along with filter, sealer, sensor) -- part of warranty

2. Bad Clock Spring was replaced (traction control light and maybe was not working, also fixed cruise control that was not working) -- 470 parts and labor!!

3. Wiring repair from TCM to PCM (2 broken wires not sure -- to fix limp mode issue) -- 300 parts and labor!!

So in end lot of money but seems to be working OK now. I am happy that cruise was fixed.

As expected, the main reason I took the car in there was solved last. They always find other issues first which is why I try to stay away from them!