2.4 stumble and hesitation

Hankster

I have noticed an issue over the last couple of weeks with our new to us 2.4 Journey. During damp rainy weather we get a stumble when doing a stop and go at stop signs. It felt a bit like when you would come to a stop without pushing the clutch in on a manual shift. Then when accelarating it would stumble and do a rough down shift.

Hank

Earlier today I decided to take a look at the spark plugs and air filter and for any vacuum leaks. I found worn out plugs and a dirty filter. This car only has 80,000kms. I installed 4 new ngk irridium plugs and a new air filter, runs so much better now and generally smoother.

Hank

the 2.4 use's copper plugs with 30,000 mile change .. stumbling when wet out points to coils and or boots . Carbon tracking on the plugs and boots. last plug change I put champions in it and I can tell the difference . some hesitation etc so going to put KGK plugs in ..

The 3.7 in my Nitro also called for copper plug changes every 30,000 miles. The reason for this: the heat at which the copper plugs burn to keep carbon deposits from forming in the plastic intake manifold. May be the same thing in the 2.4. If the engine calls for copper plugs, that is what I would use. It may run fine now with the iridium plugs, but you are only asking for trouble down the line.

Copper plugs are about 1/3rd the cost of platinum or iridium plugs, but only last about 1/3rd as long. If you're changing the plugs on your own (and for this engine, unless you are REALLY bad at turning a wrench, you should be), the only difference is the 20 minutes every 30,000 miles it should take to change them out.

Also, by using "not what is listed as an OEM part," you run afoul of the powertrain warranty and any future issues with engine performance or emissions can be blamed on a non-factory-approved part to void a warranty claim.

Many engineers spent substantial amounts of time determining what the best spark plug is for this (and any other) engine. Unless your level of education in engineering exceeds theirs, it's probably best to stick with what they recommend. Or do what you want, it's your car.

Believe me. Stick with copper core and change every 30k. The 2.4 in our 09 ran like a top for 80,000 miles.

plus the 2.4 has got to be the easiest plug change on any engine I have ever had . they are right there on top . pull four coil packs with boots and take em out ..

• 1 year later...

Update, the stumble and hesitation has been gone for over a year now, but has again started to do it. I found a couple of reasons first aluminum grit in the throttle body that seemed to be interfering with the throttle plate. The grit was from corrosion between the housing and the rubber air pipe. It was an easy job to pull out and clean.Second I also pulled the year old iridium spark plugs and put the specified nickel plugs obtained from my dealer. The driveability  has improved and this car now runs smoother that I thought possible.If you are having hesitation, stumbles, bad shifting this definitely  is worth a look. I had to go to the dealer for the proper spark plugs all the part stores in my area all recommended Iridium or platinum spark plugs for this engine even though they are not apparently compatible and only lasted 20,000kms.

20170703_112904.jpg

20170703_112922.jpg

20170703_112941.jpg