Power Steering Hose investigation

6 hours ago, Alaskan_Journey_907 said:

Money is super tight right now, or else I would pay to have it fixed and than hope to someday get my money back later.

It does have full coverage... ;-)

Note that with 80K+ miles, unless it has an extended warranty it only has power train coverage.  The power steering is not part of that.

Out of curiosity,  for the people that have paid to have the repair done before it was finally a recall, what did the shop bill run ya?? And did you have everything replaced that the recall covers? Basically all of the lines and the cooler.

Which leads me to another ?. Is the p/s cooler absolutely 100% necessary? I have bypassed them on a few vehicles up here for customers and have never had a complaint or come back. Keep in mind the hottest we see is MAYBE 90* and that's only for a few weeks in the summer. I don't see why it would hurt anything to cut the 2 metal lines under the hood where they come out from under the coolant reservoir, add a double flare to the ends of both tunes and just loop them to one another with a piece of high pressure arctic grade hose and a couple of good hose clamps.

I'd leave the cooler in place for a little while making sure the "delete" didn't cause any issue's,  and if none then remove the cooler and excess lines all together.

Being as that would cut down on the amount of "cold" fluid in the system it may help with the repeated hose failures I've had this winter. Or maybe I'm just talking crazy and that's a horrible idea all together. 

Anyone care to give me their $.02?

Lol it has full coverage insurance. I was being sarcastic....like "whoops it caught on fire due to that pesky p/s leak..."

I wasn't being serious. Although at this point it wouldn't hurt my feelings.

Anyone think I'd run into any sort of problems by bypassing the p/s cooler? I was thinking of cutting the 2 metal tunes that pop out right under the coolant tank, flaring the ends and looping them together which would basically delete the whole cooler its self. We only see 90* here maybe a week or 2 at tops in the summer. And for 5+ months a year it's below freezing.