Dead Battery 2015 Dodge Journey

Has anybody had their Journey not start and had to have it jump started.

My 2015 only has 4600 miles on it, (7 months old).Went to start it after 2 days sitting in my driveway and it would not start. Called Roadside Assist, had it jump started and off to the dealership. They charged the battery for 1 hour as per their protocol and it passed. They advised they checked the anti run-down and it was also working. I brought it home turned it off and even left the rear hatch unlocked and only closed it (not completely locking it) All the interior lights turned off including the large one in the rear tailgate after a couple of min's. Its the Limited model and the headlights are set for Auto and the Key fob was not left in the vehicle either which I understand might cause the computer to think I am still in the vehicle and ready to start it again which might cause a battery drain. ????

My 2014 did the same thing last Sunday. Worked fine Friday; dead Sunday. This is the third new car this has happened to me. I just bit the bullet, charged it all day Sunday (never went to full charge!) and bought a new battery on Monday. I suspect a cell went bad, as in the last two times. All the lights will eventually go off by themselves to prevent a dead battery, so it is nothing you did. The only one I checked was the glove box light, but it worked as it should. $75.00 labor to install the new battery because of where the jack ass engineers decided to hide it! I did have them spray the tray with rubberized undercoating to prevent the tray from failing in the future. Imagine driving down the Interstate and having your battery fall out.

My 2014 did the same thing last Sunday. Worked fine Friday; dead Sunday. This is the third new car this has happened to me. I just bit the bullet, charged it all day Sunday (never went to full charge!) and bought a new battery on Monday. I suspect a cell went bad, as in the last two times. All the lights will eventually go off by themselves to prevent a dead battery, so it is nothing you did. The only one I checked was the glove box light, but it worked as it should. $75.00 labor to install the new battery because of where the jack ass engineers decided to hide it! I did have them spray the tray with rubberized undercoating to prevent the tray from failing in the future. Imagine driving down the Interstate and having your battery fall out.

so whats the deal on spraying the tray with rubber coating, this is the second time hearing this is there something going on that i havent heard about?????

If your battery leaks, this keeps the acid from eating away the tray. Periodic inspections will negate this.

kind of like cleaning under your refrigerator for dust.oh well with the location of our batteries guess ill just have to chance it...thanks Jkeaton

Edited by 2late4u

• 2 weeks later...

With regards to this post, lately I have been having the same problem. I let the car sit overnight, next morning it is dead. I get a boost, and it is fine for the day. Next morning, same thing.

I go out, buy a new battery, and get it installed. I have the alternator tested too. It is fine.

About a week or two later, the same thing happens. I bring it back to my mechanic, and he hooks it up to an amp meter. While the car is off, it is drawing about .30. They had to pull each fuse one by one, and they found out it is my stereo drawing the power.

Here is the catch. When I bought the vehicle, I bought it second hand. Upon getting it, there was a chip in the windshield. I had to bring it back in to have the windshield replaced. Once we got into the fall season, I climbed in the car on a rainy day, and noticed a leak coming from the top center of the windshield (where the interior lights and rearview mirror are), and it was leaking onto my stereo. I called the dealer, again, and had to bring it back in to have the leak fixed, again. I didn't think anything after that. Over the winter is when I started to have the battery drain on me. Now that I know it is due to the stereo, is there any possibility that the leak on the stereo has anything to do with the stereo draining the battery all of a sudden?

Keep in mind that, the only extended warranty I got on the vehicle when I purchased it back in July was the powertrain warranty.

Thoughts?

Technical Service Bulletin. A possible problem, but not big enough for a Recall. If you are under warranty, the Dealer will fix it, no charge. If your warranty has expired, you will have to pay to have it addressed.

Depending on where the water found its way to the radio, something could be shorted, as "shut down when you open the door". Try manually turning off the radio before leaving the vehicle.

Edited by dhh3

There was a rundown issue caused by software in the ECU a couple of yeas ago. Also, iIf you have the premium sound package (with the subwoofer) there was a software issue a few years ago with the amplifier that is under the passenger seat in vehicle. Ask the dealer to make certain that your vehicle is up to date.

Thanks for all the input.

I actually didn't buy it from a Dodge dealership. I am wondering if I could call my dealer to find out, or if I would have to call a Chrysler dealership to find out.

And bramfrank, I do have what looks like an amp under the passenger seat, but I don't know if I have a sub. If I didn't have a sub, would I still have the amp under the seat?

Thanks again guys!

Nope. Nothing under the seat in my Journey, so I guess not.

You could easily call a Dodge dealer and he *should* be able to tell you if your vehicle is up to date . . . why shouldn't he? After all I'm certain he'd be more than happy to charge to apply any outstanding updates.

• 3 months later...
On 4/19/2016 at 6:48 PM, trooper said:

Has anybody had their Journey not start and had to have it jump started.

My 2015 only has 4600 miles on it, (7 months old).Went to start it after 2 days sitting in my driveway and it would not start. Called Roadside Assist, had it jump started and off to the dealership. They charged the battery for 1 hour as per their protocol and it passed. They advised they checked the anti run-down and it was also working. I brought it home turned it off and even left the rear hatch unlocked and only closed it (not completely locking it) All the interior lights turned off including the large one in the rear tailgate after a couple of min's. Its the Limited model and the headlights are set for Auto and the Key fob was not left in the vehicle either which I understand might cause the computer to think I am still in the vehicle and ready to start it again which might cause a battery drain. ????

I am having battery drain problems with my 2015 Dodge Journey AWD Limited also. I purchased the vehicle new last July and have recently had three instances of battery drain/dead battery after the vehicle sat for three or more days. Took it to the dealer and after keeping it for a weekend and two days the dealer determined that there were no codes depicting battery drain conditions or anything else. I guess the thing to to is to keep taking the vehicle in and let them look at it for a couple of days since it's covered under warranty. Sooner or later, Dodge will grow tired of paying for the troubleshooting and my rental and maybe actually figure out what the problem really is. NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Well I took my 2015 Journey to the dealership and they ran a bunch of diagnostic tests to find out that my battery had a bad cell so they replaced it with an Interstate battery instead of a Mopar unit.  When I asked them why all the test when a good battery load tester would find the same problem they told me that they needed to run these test in order to validate the battery change under warranty and to be sure nothing else in the car was draining the battery.  They even have to provide a print out from the diagnostics machine to head office.  All that just for a battery change!  The tech also told me the only OBD2 code they found was a battery low voltage code.

Edited by Cableguy

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi. I have a 2012 Journey Crew. I knew something was draining my battery so I put an amp meter in line from the battery and saw a significant draw of amps. I started pulling fuses until the draw decreased to a minimal amount, and it was the blue tooth system. I pulled that mini fuse and the problem was solved. Pulling this fuse did not affect any other options or functions. This was in the summer of 2016. The fuse box is located by the passengers right foot , fuse # F131. Hope this works for you!

Since the battery  was changed long ago I'm happy to say the car starts with the remote start without being plugged in fine even in temperatures as low as -30!  I think Interstate batteries work great. I even have one in my work truck which is a Ford E-150 and it starts great in the cold.