Break-in...4 cyl engine

fjpod

I have a new 2009 with 4 cyl. I bought it because I wanted economy, and the vehicles good size. When I test drove it, and for the first few weeks, I thought the engine was a bit anemic. It was noisy, strained on acceleration, etc. But in the last few weeks, I think the engine has quieted a lot. It seems to have more pickup when accelerating, downshifts better, etc. Is it my imagination or has anyone else with the 4 cylinder noticed the same thing?

I have the 4cyl diesel. That has got quieter and the economy has improved. When new I was getting 28 in town and 34 on the highway. 4000 miles later and I'm doing 33 in town and almost 42mpg on a run.

I really don't know why you don't do diesels in the States? If your government wants cars to be more fuel efficient then the manufacturers need to start sticking diesels in them. As least it's a start until electric tecnology becomes cheap and reliable.

I have the 4cyl diesel. That has got quieter and the economy has improved. When new I was getting 28 in town and 34 on the highway. 4000 miles later and I'm doing 33 in town and almost 42mpg on a run.

I really don't know why you don't do diesels in the States? If your government wants cars to be more fuel efficient then the manufacturers need to start sticking diesels in them. As least it's a start until electric tecnology becomes cheap and reliable.

Wow diesels get that much better mileage? But then again, diesel fuel here costs more than regular unleaded. I was wondering the same thing...why we don't have more diesels in passenger cars. Diesel fuel is readily available in most stations. My dad bought a diesel Mercedes in 1973. I can remember diesel was a little less available then. And the car did develop serious engine problems within less than 10 years.

• 2 weeks later...

Remember, todays cars computer systems tend to "learn" with your driving habits. Thus they can make minor tweaks to fuel economy and acceleration . Also the PCM can get use to your driving patterns and shift appropriately.

There is always a break ing period for all cars.

There was a very reputable company that did a test with a SS Chevy Camaro . First they gave the car to a older woman (a grand mother) who babied the car and drove very slowly.

It dyno'ed at something like 300 HP to the wheels. After that they reset the PCM (un hooked the battery) and gave the car to a 20 year old who drove it hard. It dyno'ed with 20 extra HP 320.

It was proof that the PCM learns from driving habits.

• 1 month later...
Remember, todays cars computer systems tend to "learn" with your driving habits. Thus they can make minor tweaks to fuel economy and acceleration . Also the PCM can get use to your driving patterns and shift appropriately.

There is always a break ing period for all cars.

There was a very reputable company that did a test with a SS Chevy Camaro . First they gave the car to a older woman (a grand mother) who babied the car and drove very slowly.

It dyno'ed at something like 300 HP to the wheels. After that they reset the PCM (un hooked the battery) and gave the car to a 20 year old who drove it hard. It dyno'ed with 20 extra HP 320.

It was proof that the PCM learns from driving habits.

Yup, I use to dyno tune cars at my shop. The PCM's in OBDII have what is called Adaptive learning. It learns how you drive and adapts to it. As a tuner I could turn it off and the car would be a completely different animal. When buying a used car, it is worth re-flashing your PCM or tuning it and turning adaptive learning off. I will tune my Journey as soon as flash out for it for better fuel economy. Most of the time, the manufacturer will send a PCM tuned close to the area of the united states you are. Weather, terrain and such. A tune does A LOT for a vehicle when done right.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 years later...