The tank is always full

raulb

Good morning there,

I am new on Dodge Journey Forum. Sorry for my bad English, I am from Spain and I am learning at this time.

Well I searched on this subforum in order to know if there are other user that had experience the same as me.

My dad filled the tank of Dodge Journey one week ago. I am driving my car every day and the consumption is so high: 15L/100km. (and in fact, is increasing every time I drive... when one week ago I didn't notice this problem. The consumption was 8.9L/100 and 10.5L/100 km). However, the tank indicator shows that is FULL.

Do you know what can happens? :-S

Thanks for reading.

Hi!

Thanks to both of you for your quick answer: I'll try to answer them

Sounds like a bad fuel sending unit perhaps? That will cause the fuel gauge to be incorrect.

• How can I certainly know that it's the unit that's failing? Just the mechanic can know it certainly?

Are you getting the fuel economy from the EVIC readout or are you calculating it yourself?

• I am using the EVIC mode.

Which engine do you have? The engine is Volkswagen. 2009 Journey.

Here it is an image of what I see:nnp4k4.jpg

Hello Raulb, I'm Spanish too, I'm going to write this post both in English and Spanish, to respect to other users and to make it easier to you.

When key is switched to "ON" position, without starting the engine, all needles should go up & down, as a test for they're working ok, is the fuel needle going that way? If not, as stated before, it may be broken.

You also can reset fuel mileage display, as now you have a high value (I use to see between 7.5 and 8.5 in mine), you should do this reset (hoding down the button for a couple of seconds) before driving a long (or middle) distance on highway at moderate speed, where mileage should be lower than 11.5 l / 100 km.

Also stated by Animal Mother, it could happen that fuel sensor unit is not working, and it's always placed at its highest level.

Good luck.

[Translate - Traducción]

Cuando giras la llave en el contacto, sin poner en marcha el motor, todas las agujas hacen su recorrido completo y vuelven a su posición inicial, ¿qué hace la del combustible? Si no se mueve en ningún momento, como ya te han indicado, puede que la propia aguja esté rota.

También puedes probar a resetear el consumo medio que te da el EVIC, como ahora tienes un valor alto (yo suelo tener entre 7.5 y 8.5), lo ideal sería que lo hicieras (manteniendo pulsado un par de segundos el mismo botón que te cambia de termómetro a lector de consumo) justo antes de algún trayecto largo por carretera a velocidad moderada, en el que el consumo sería menor a esos 11.5 que tienes ahora.

La otra posibilidad, como también han dicho, es que esté mal el propio sensor del depósito de combustible, y que se haya quedado arriba del todo.

Que haya suerte y no sea nada.

Hi guys, sorry for the long time without appearing.

I can't know the code error. We are newbie in this kind of mechanical issues, and trying to know more about it so we don't have the gadget that allow us to do that buy we will buy it next monday.

Answering pacman question, the fuel needle moves as the others do and after that, it remains on full position.

According to this "it could happen that fuel sensor unit is not working, and it's always placed at its highest level." we will go this evening to the gas station in order to know if there's something wrong that with a filling can be solved.

Thanks.

You could try hitting the gas tank a few times with your fist or a rubber mallet. It is possible the sending unit is stuck at the full position. Perhaps the tank was overfilled? Put a little more in after it stopped ( we all do it ). Dont get carried away and dent the tank, just a few taps should do it,. Who knows, you might get lucky!

Also, some auto parts stores will check your codes for free, then you dont need to buy a scanner tool....

If its the sending unit, the fuel tank needs to be dropped so I would take it somewhere for that.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Thanks everybody for your help and advices. That were very useful.

However I feel kind stupid... I've send the car to the mechanic due to this issue and it was over over over filled. The issue code was about a EGR problem that is already solved.

Thanks another time for all the help.

:-) I'll participate more times in the community.