R65 reprogram radio control head

• 3 weeks later...

I had my 2015 DJ in for this recall approximately a month ago. Within 2 weeks my Nav has died with the same error the recall was supposed to fix.

I've made an appt at my dealer, but apparently they haven't fixed the issue. Now that I do have the error, they'll either have to force a flash of the same software, or replace my unit.

Joy.

I had my 2015 DJ in for this recall approximately a month ago. Within 2 weeks my Nav has died with the same error the recall was supposed to fix.

I've made an appt at my dealer, but apparently they haven't fixed the issue. Now that I do have the error, they'll either have to force a flash of the same software, or replace my unit.

Joy.

Your dealer may not have actually done the recall properly; Can you check the radio and navigator firmware versions and report them here or PM me with the information?

The navigator version is displayed on the splash screen when it starts up. The radio version is a bit more complex to read back - you need to brig up the 'service menu' by pressing the driver side temp up and down buttons and the front defrost buttons all simultaneously for about 10 seconds. The menu items are self evident.

After the R65 recall the versions for the radio and nav should be:

Radio: 15.09.D1

Nav: 6.22 / CTP16

As to the radio needing to be replaced? I just managed to resuscitate a unit that was reporting the dreaded 'can't unlock maps' issue last week. It isn't a deadly problem, in spite of the fact that for some reason the dweebs at FCA replace, rather than fix the issue to get the unit back into service . . . . . It is probably a software glitch that they wrongly believed they's expunged. However since the problem is field-correctable I'm selling off the spare RB5 radio I wound up with and decided to hang on to in spite of it's price.

• 4 months later...

Got journey Sep 2015.  Had in at  dealer and they did update to radio.  Shortly after detailed maps error came up so they replaced the unit. 2 months later same error message showing up.  I Guess the so called 'fix' isn't really a fix.  Scheduled in at the dealer and will be asking about what happens in the event that this recurring unfixed issue surfaces again after warranty runs out.

16 hours ago, bluethunder said:

Got journey Sep 2015.  Had in at  dealer and they did update to radio.  Shortly after detailed maps error came up so they replaced the unit. 2 months later same error message showing up.  I Guess the so called 'fix' isn't really a fix.  Scheduled in at the dealer and will be asking about what happens in the event that this recurring unfixed issue surfaces again after warranty runs out.

11 minutes ago, larryl said:

think the reply will be "it sucks to be us"

Let's start by saying that his vehicle likely didn't have R65 applied to it.

Will have to check with dealer when it goes in as to what the update they did was for if not that but I recall them doing something to the stock unit prior to the failure then replacing it after it failed the first time.  Current unit shows ctp16 6.22 so clearly they haven't figured out the cause as of yet.  Confirmed that update was applied to stock unit in april 2016 before it failed in June 2016 and was ultimately replaced.  New unit on order so Awaiting the replacement.  Until they treat the cause in these units and actually fix it than I guess this cycle will continue at least until warranty runs out.  What should I expect after warranty runs out?

Edited by bluethunder
update

Actually, based on your original post, R65 was not applied because you said you got the updated in September of last year and that they replaced the radio 2 months later.  R65 was 'released' many many months later, hence my comment.

BUT.  R65 is simply the application of 15.09.D1 to the radio (and that has been out since May 2015) and CTP16 to the navigator (15.09.D1 is a prerequisite to installing CTP16).

So officially they have not applied R65, but you have what it delivers it in any case and no, it does not solve the problem.

On the other hand, the solution is as simple as reloading the maps, since the problem is memory corruption.  Unfortunately updating the maps with the DVD is dicey at best and FCA doesn't approve letting dealers do it.  But that doesn't stop you. 

Edited by bramfrank

On Thursday, September 01, 2016 at 10:41 PM, bluethunder said:

Got journey Sep 2015.  Had in at dealer (April 2016) and they did update to radio.  Shortly after (June 2016) detailed maps error came up so they replaced the unit. 2 months later same error message showing up.  I Guess the so called 'fix' isn't really a fix.  Scheduled in at the dealer and will be asking about what happens in the event that this recurring unfixed issue surfaces again after warranty runs out.

Couldn't remember when we had it in for update in original post.  Seems you misunderstood my summary of events by the way it was worded, however, the point is the fix didn't serve its purpose of fixing these units.  In fact it was fine for a longer period before they messed with it and since problems every 2 months after so far.  Seems to me they need to get their electronics engineers and programmers to sort these out or produce a new unit that doesn't suffer from this defect.  If they want to waste their time and mine changing out one failed unit for another containing the unfixed defect until warranty runs out then fine by me.  After warranty runs out though I'll be requesting they continue to fix their known to be defective units at no charge to me or provide a suitable working non manufacturers gps as the vehicle was sold to me with nav system and came with a warranty that it was free from any known defects and that any defects discovered during the warranty period would be repaired.  As the defect has not as of yet been repaired I will push the responsibility back to them until they fix it properly.

Edited by bluethunder
correction

• 6 months later...

At issue is that the radios they're installing have already failed and were simply reloaded.  There were no repairs done since they have no idea why they fail, especially since not every radio has failed.  That implies that they are sending out units as replacements that are predisposed to failing, and as such simply condemning you to a cycle of failures.

That's why you want to be able to reload your own unit at home.  It takes  lot less time out of your life - and if you get a decent unit (as in it goes for a long time without failing) you won't be forced to send that out when it fails again down the road and risk getting a replacement that lasts 4 weeks.

Mine has yet to fail (I know I'll regret saying it), but I have the tools to repair it if it does crap out.

• 2 weeks later...

Here we go again, I have to go back to the dealer to get my radio check because I have this 'Can't unlock maps' ' No map data available'.  My last radio was replaced in April 2015. I really think that FCA knows that they have a real problem with this NAV system.  I do not think that it is normal to change radio so often, there must be a glitch with software. I have the extended warranty to 117KM hopefully it will cover the replacement radio.  More to follow

It will cover the replacement.

But this should come as no surprise.

You should note that since you live in Quebec, you can sue in small claims court for the cost of a radio (you'd have to buy it, then sue) even if the warranty expires.  You have the right to have the unit work for a 'reasonable amount of time' and just because the manufacturer says the warranty expired doesn't mean he isn't obligated to replace the radio for free  . . . . with threads like this one you will win in court AND you will probably break the failure cycle.

Your radio fails because FCA is putting units that have previously failed into your vehicle.  MY radio has never failed (I may be tempting fate by saying this, of course), and probably a large majority of owner's radios have never failed.  But those who own vehicles where the radios have failed seem to repeat the problem on a regular basis . . . . .

Read a couple of my recent posts in this thread if you want to see more about the issue.

Here we go again, I have to go back to the dealer to get my radio check because I have this 'Can't unlock maps' ' No map data available'.  My last radio was replaced in April 2015. I really think that FCA knows that they have a real problem with this NAV system.  I do not think that it is normal to change radio so often, there must be a glitch with software. I have the extended warranty to 117KM hopefully it will cover the replacement radio.  More to follow

I updated the radio on 1 March 2016 and it is model CTP 16, GPS 4.15.06, version NAV 6.22, 8.4N MY13-MY14-MY15 NAFTA RB5 RB6.  Not sure what most of those numbers are but that is was I saw on the radio.

Can I not request that FCA put a new radio in it, instead of a refurbished one. 

• 4 weeks later...

Just got my 3rd radio put in; it seems that the radios last for appoox 2 years!  Cause I changed the radios in May 2015 and in May 2017 my Journey is a 2013.  Now the radio is model CTP 17 software version 7.09 and GPS 4.15.06.  Hope this is the last one that I put in. You would think that FCA would have find the problem with the radio my now!  May be they are not even looking for a solution they just replacing the radio hoping it will fix itself.

1 hour ago, Mysty2 said:

Just got my 3rd radio put in; it seems that the radios last for appoox 2 years!  Cause I changed the radios in May 2015 and in May 2017 my Journey is a 2013.  Now the radio is model CTP 17 software version 7.09 and GPS 4.15.06.  Hope this is the last one that I put in. You would think that FCA would have find the problem with the radio my now!  May be they are not even looking for a solution they just replacing the radio hoping it will fix itself.

They seem to survive anywhere from 2 weeks to forever and for the record, the current software does not solve the problem, which is more than likely a hardware design issue with the navigator board in the TGM.

• 1 year later...

I also am having the same issue of "No Map Data" after speaking to FCA Canada, my local dealer, and reading online forums, I cannot find a fix that works. My head unit has been replaced, while under warranty already. Same issue appeared after the warranty of 2 years for the replacement head unit. Surprise, Neither Dodge nor the local dealer will take responsibly.

Has anyone actually found a fix for this other than having to spend thousands of dollars for a refurbished head unit? Its a software issue, and Dodge should stand behind its products.

Dodge - please support your customers by issuing a recall for this error.

1 hour ago, jakevanderburg said:

I also am having the same issue of "No Map Data" after speaking to FCA Canada, my local dealer, and reading online forums, I cannot find a fix that works. My head unit has been replaced, while under warranty already. Same issue appeared after the warranty of 2 years for the replacement head unit. Surprise, Neither Dodge nor the local dealer will take responsibly.

Has anyone actually found a fix for this other than having to spend thousands of dollars for a refurbished head unit? Its a software issue, and Dodge should stand behind its products.

Dodge - please support your customers by issuing a recall for this error.

Recalls are for safety issues. They won't recall for something like this.