Mopar Hitch Installation

Sprout CAR

I have a new 2009 Dodge Journey SXT without the towing prep package but just about every other option. I wanted to share with you all my experiences and pictures of the MOPAR hitch 3500lbs (part# 82210403-AB) for this vehicle since I had a very difficult time in deciding which hitch to buy. First of all the Mopar is more expensive than any other aftermarket hitch. In Canada, it sells for $250, however, there is a $50 off coupon available to customers of MOPAR by calling 1.800.465.2001 and requesting the coupon, nicely. You will need your VIN. I received mine in 3 days. Thank you, Chrysler Canada!

Basically, this hitch is a vertical 2" receiver, meaning the adapters have a 90* bend in them. I chose the MOPAR because all other aftermarket hitches for this vehicle just look awful. Sorry for those who have the Curt, Hidden Hitch, etc but they stick out or are much to visible beneath the fascia (plastic bumper). This hitch is completely hidden except for a small 1/4 piece which you can see from the photos. I did not cut the bumper, however it does have a very slight bump where it contacts the fascia. The hitch comes with a welded mounting plate for the 7-way round electrical connector. I planned only using a 4-way which will remain inside the vehicle when not towing. I carefully removed this mount with a grinder (use your safety glasses) and applied a primer and semi gloss Tremclad when finished. When reassembling the fascia to the Journey, there was no need to remove the entire centre styrofoam backing per the instructions. I only sliced away 3/4" with an Olfa knife. I completed this project in about 3 hours. I have road tested and no rattling or problems were found. My overall impression was that this is a very well made hitch and very precise with all the mounting bolts. The clearances were perfect.

The ball mount (MOPAR part#8220862-AB) is required since regular horizontal mounts will not work. It is well made and I would have no problem using it to tow my trailer.

I have an existing bike carrier which posed a problem because it's meant to be used with the horizontal receiver. I found an adapter(MOPAR part#82209615) from the 2" vertical to a 1 1/4" horizontal receiver. This part is not listed as a Journey part but it works.

I chose to go with the Reese T-connector 4-way wiring harness (part#118474). If for any other reason was that the MOPAR 7-way included opening the fuse box and manually adding the appropriate wires (no thanks!). I have used these T-connectors before and they are easy to install. The Journey required a direct battery connection.

Heads up on the removal of the fascia. There are 10 plastic rivets which must be removed. They are destroyed on removal. The MOPAR hitch only comes with 6 (see the install manual) so make sure you ask for 4 more from the dealer. These plastic rivets can't be installed with a normal rivet gun. A plastic rivet tool is required. I couldn't find one fast enough so I ended up replacing these rivets with the much more user friendly push type fastener, like those used to hold the tail light assembly to the vehicle, which can be removed and reused.

When removing the fascia, there is a 1/4" hex head screw(one on each side) which attaches the fascia to the adjacent panel. This is not shown in the installation instructions. Be gentle when removing the fascia. I always had cardboard underneath me to prevent scratches.

The actual metal bumper must be temporarily removed and the exhaust must be lowered. Removing the rubber hangers was probably the worst step of the entire installation. I used a long pry bar to work one side of the hanger off.

I am happy with the results. I hope this assists others either looking for pictures (which are very hard to find of the MOPAR hitch in detail) and with the installation.

----Update Feb 2012----

I can't believe it has been 2.5 years now since installing this hitch. I hope my write up has informed those who have read it. I am still happy with my decision these years later. The vertical hitch has been used plenty and has performed very well. I am also very happy with my decision to keep the hitch behind the fascia without cutting it. I still see others installing the exposed hitches which I find look horrible, especially with time the hitch will rust.

Earlier this year I was struck from behind while stopped. I strongly believe the presence of the hitch saved my Journey from extensive damage, without it, the other vehicle would have struck much weaker, designed to crumple with impact, sheet metal. The fascia had to be replaced but otherwise the hitch was unharmed. The other vehicle was heavily damaged and likely written off.

I will be upgrading to the 2012 Journey SXT this summer and will be installing a new hitch. Stay tuned.

post-954-1249874996_thumb.jpg

post-954-1249875034_thumb.jpg

post-954-1249875049_thumb.jpg

post-954-1249875076_thumb.jpg

post-954-1249875091_thumb.jpg

post-954-1249875099_thumb.jpg

post-954-1249875107_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sprout CAR

I have the SXT AWD version with every option except leather and nav so I have the trailer tow package. I negotiated the hitch when purchasing the vehicle and they installed it with no problem. Mine looks different as they had to cut the bumper to make way for the 4 or 7pin connector. At the time, I didn't know what the difference was between 4 and 7 pin so I just went with the 4 pin as the only thing I would be towing is small trailer and a bike rack. The difference is the 7 pin has extra connectors for trailer assisted braking if the trailer is equipped with this functionality. The 4pin has connectors for the brake lights only. Just saying so anyone who has no clue will know when they read this.

Anyway, I also got the mopar verticle to horizontal (L shaped) 2 inch receiver and I must say that I'm a little disappointed with it. It fits in the hitch but it is loose... meaning that there is excessive lateral movement. This may not be of great concern when towing a trailer, but when you have a bike rack hooked up to it, it's a bit unnerving to see your bikes sway back and forth in the rear view mirror while you make turns. Plus, the drivers behind you keep their distance as they too are nervous that something will fall off. I have not found a solution short of putting shims to keep it from doing this. Do you have this problem Sprout Car?

I will take some pictures of my setup and will post.

No, he did not cut his bumper... you will see soon enough.

here's what the dealer installed hitch looks like:

IMAG0041.jpg

Basically, the L shaped hitch receiver comes out below the part of the hitch with the two slots (below it and in the middle of the two slots). Doesn't look as good as Sprouts but I can't complain as it's adequate for the job.

If you want more pictures, let me know.

One thing that concerns me is that in Canada, towing trailers via ball mount require safety chains (at least in my province). As you can see from my picture, the safety chain attaches to the hitch itself using the two slots beside the 4 pin connector. In Sprouts setup, I cannot see any place to attach safety chains. Is there a place?

The bumper (fascia) was not cut in this installation due to the removal of the 7 pin mount per my first post.

The safety chains are easily hooked to the MOPAR hitch receiver exactly in the same fashion as poster "CKL" identifies in his picture except they are behind the plastic fasia. The fascia molded in such a way and is flexible enough to accommodate this.

I have always had "play" in my bike carrier not just with the Journey. My old 2006 Caravan had a standard Hidden Hitch and the carrier was not tight in that receiver either. It doesn't take much for aftermarket bike carriers to sway a bit when travelling. I know that everything is secure so I don't worry about it. If you find it's too much for your liking I would fashion a set of thin shims. Drill a hole in the shim and allow the carrier bolt to hold them in place otherwise you will lose them.

I did see a MOPAR 2 or 4 bike carrier that works directly with the vertical receiver. This would eliminate the extra movement from the adapter but they are expensive.

Sprout

The safety chains are easily hooked to the MOPAR hitch receiver exactly in the same fashion as poster "CKL" identifies in his picture except they are behind the plastic fasia. The fascia molded in such a way and is flexible enough to accommodate this.

I have always had "play" in my bike carrier not just with the Journey. My old 2006 Caravan had a standard Hidden Hitch and the carrier was not tight in that receiver either. It doesn't take much for aftermarket bike carriers to sway a bit when travelling. I know that everything is secure so I don't worry about it. If you find it's too much for your liking I would fashion a set of thin shims. Drill a hole in the shim and allow the carrier bolt to hold them in place otherwise you will lose them.

I did see a MOPAR 2 or 4 bike carrier that works directly with the vertical receiver. This would eliminate the extra movement from the adapter but they are expensive.

Sprout

i guess it's time to break out the drill!

• 2 weeks later...

I looked at this hitch option but had to set it aside due to my towing needs. So I went with the U Haul 4000 lb / 400lb TW. The Mopar wiring harness is set up for 7 pin wiring for electic brakes etc. There is an adaptor available from Mopar to convert to 4 pin if you need or just get a UHaul 7pin/4pin combination outlet. It plugs direct into the Mopar wiring harness. The horizontal hitch receiver was neccessary to accomodate the load leveling / anti sway hitch assembly that I use on my travel trailer. I do not believe the verticle receivers are compatable with the ll/as draw bars.

Nice job and write up BTW

• 1 month later...

To fix the issue with the slop in the adapter I actually came across an adapter that slips over the horizontal adapter and has two screws on it to elimate the slop....I cannot currently find the site again but if you search for journey accessories and search that way you will find it.

I have the SXT AWD version with every option except leather and nav so I have the trailer tow package. I negotiated the hitch when purchasing the vehicle and they installed it with no problem. Mine looks different as they had to cut the bumper to make way for the 4 or 7pin connector. At the time, I didn't know what the difference was between 4 and 7 pin so I just went with the 4 pin as the only thing I would be towing is small trailer and a bike rack. The difference is the 7 pin has extra connectors for trailer assisted braking if the trailer is equipped with this functionality. The 4pin has connectors for the brake lights only. Just saying so anyone who has no clue will know when they read this.

Anyway, I also got the mopar verticle to horizontal (L shaped) 2 inch receiver and I must say that I'm a little disappointed with it. It fits in the hitch but it is loose... meaning that there is excessive lateral movement. This may not be of great concern when towing a trailer, but when you have a bike rack hooked up to it, it's a bit unnerving to see your bikes sway back and forth in the rear view mirror while you make turns. Plus, the drivers behind you keep their distance as they too are nervous that something will fall off. I have not found a solution short of putting shims to keep it from doing this. Do you have this problem Sprout Car?

I will take some pictures of my setup and will post.

• 7 months later...

Sprout, great post!

I have seen the aftermarket hitches and agree with you that they truely look awful.

I want to do the same exact install on my 2010 Journey SXT and have a couple questions for you...

1. How did you remove the Plastic Rivets that fasten the Fascia to the Wheel Inner? Did you drill-them-out like you would a normal Aluminum Rivet?

2. Where there any clips/fasteners other than the ones stated in the directions or mentioned in your posting?

3. Other than the Plastic Rivet Gun, are there any special tools needed?

4. Since it's been almost a year since your original post, have you had any problems with the hitch itself or the install?

Thank-you in advance for you reply!

Best Regards,

Steve

This has got to be one of the best write up in this entire forum. And Timely also!

I've been looking into getting a small utility trailer so I can fetch Mulch, Dirt, Fertilizer

and things that I don't want to put inside the new Journey when it comes. I also want it

to look pretty much hidden from site when I am not using it. The Mopar hitch looks like it

could be exactly what I need.

Thanks for the information!

Chris

P.S. If these are the typical Plastic MOPAR rivets, you can get extras of these at most NAPA

Auto Parts Stores along with the Rivet Gun for these. Drilling with a bit slightly larger than the

center shaft of the pop rivet will take the head off. You then push the back side out and you are free.

Did this with the install of the foglights on my Jeep Grand Cherokee and bought the extra rivets

and the rivet gun back then.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Awesome post!!!

I was minutes away from ordering a hidden hitch when I came upon this!!!

I think I will mount it behind the fascia as sprout did except I am thinking of welding some loops on the forward side of the hitch to hook the safety chains on. Maybe will save the fascia from any wear and tear.

Does anyone know if the '11 journey has any provision for a trailer brake control in the prep group wiring? The trucks all have wiring from front to back so that a brake control can just be plugged in.

Thanks

Saskguy, I dont think there is provisioning for trailer brakes with the trailer tow prep, Dodge made a large mistake, when they released the 11's, the wire harness that comes with the trailer tow prep does not work with the LED tail lights, they are trying to work out a fix, I have told my dealer if they don't have one by April, they need to either pay for my storage fees or lend me a vehicle that can tow.

This info was told to me after I purchased my R/T.

Saskguy, I dont think there is provisioning for trailer brakes with the trailer tow prep, Dodge made a large mistake, when they released the 11's, the wire harness that comes with the trailer tow prep does not work with the LED tail lights, they are trying to work out a fix, I have told my dealer if they don't have one by April, they need to either pay for my storage fees or lend me a vehicle that can tow.

You have GOT to be kiding me!!!! I NEED to tow my trailer this summer!!! I'm going to flip.

My R/T is not here yet, so I have about 6 weeks to figure this out.

Ask your dealer because there is a update for the wire harness as of March 29th.My dealer said they will reset the computer so the lights will work on the new LED tail lights .

• 2 weeks later...

Great topic. I also have the vertical type hitch, and was wondering if the slop between the hitch and receiver was normal. I guess it is. I'm interested in hearing how you guys have reduced this slop. I cannot find anything offerd by Mopar. Anyone using shims? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.