Clean calipers after 20K???/

BrianS

Was at the dealer today for the recall on the ABS module. Was told at my next service, they recommend a "brake caliper cleaning" What??!! Service advisor sez: "Vans and Journeys are terrible for this... the calipers get dirty, and the brake pads wear prematurely. We take them off, disassemble, clean, lube, etc." I sez: "Really? what a unique way to generate revenue for the dealership." I'm sure the only disassembly that would be done would be to remove the calipers from the mounts and clean the area, and maybe lube the guide pins.

Anyone ever heard of this? I know, the factory brake pads are cheap and throw a lot of brake dust out" but I thought this was a bit much.

Look in your owners manual for anywhere that it states that....look in any owners manual of any vehicle. You wont find that listed as a recommended service. As Anthony said, total BS and a waste of money. I wish dealers knew how much they make themselves look like idiots for trying to upsell unnecessary services. I guess there are uneducated suckers out there that fall for it though. Dealers are out to make money. Any way they can. If it's not listed as a recommended service by the manufacturer of your vehicle, then it is unnecessary.

If you do decide to have this service performed, be sure to have them check your blinker fluid and lube up your muffler bearings.... :)

Edited by jkeaton

Look in your owners manual for anywhere that it states that....look in any owners manual of any vehicle. You wont find that listed as a recommended service. As Anthony said, total BS and a waste of money. I wish dealers knew how much they make themselves look like idiots for trying to upsell unnecessary services. I guess there are uneducated suckers out there that fall for it though. Dealers are out to make money. Any way they can. If it's not listed as a recommended service by the manufacturer of your vehicle, then it is unnecessary.

If you do decide to have this service performed, be sure to have them check your blinker fluid and lube up your muffler bearings.... :)

Hey, they say they checked the blinker fluid when I got my last oil change.... and the muffler bearings are supposed to be good for 50k miles, so am a bit away from that. No, I saw it for what it was right away... just thought I'd throw it out there as another indication of how far these places will go to attempt to separate people from their cash.

• 11 months later...

I prefer to change the oil in my muffler bearing every 10,000. Usually with a full synthetic. Not in the DJ though, in the Ol RAM.

--->The Turbo Actually<---

Isn't krazy how we always used to joke about it? What's next? How are they going to figure out how to add fluid to a light bulb? Haha....

15 hours ago, 2late4u said:

just worked on my 2014 and checked the front brakes and they still look great over half or three quarter left on the pads at 53k

Same here. They stepped up their brake game the last couple years. First vehicle I've ever owned where I had to replace tires before brake pads.

• 2 weeks later...

If you really want to clean your brake calipers, I recommend the following:

Go buy a pressure washer (electric is fine, you can get them for under $100)

Let your car sit overnight (or at least until the rotors are under 150 degrees (for safety, and to prevent changes in the iron - cold water + hot metal can do undesirable things to the metal)

Spray your brake area with the 40 degree nozzle

Call it a day.

There is no reason to disassemble the brakes unless there is something wrong with them.  They don't move very far, the caliper pin boots hold up well over time, and as long as you're not leaking grease or brake fluid, you're good.