Leaking AWD Transaxle (PTO)

Team 44

I have needed my PTO replaced twice now in 30,000 miles. This is not boding well for us since we have 66,000 miles on the vehicle and our CPO warranty is up at 80,000 miles.

I shudder to think what will happen after that warranty expires and we're stuck replacing the PTO again and again and again on our own dime. Not good.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • Official Dodge Support

I had the PTU replaced again for the 3RD TIME with 54000 miles in March. The new one started leaking right away and they replaced a seal. It is now leaking again. Luckily I have the lifetime drivetrain warranty, but I'm getting real tired of this!!

I am sorry to hear the PTU leak is not resolved. The dealer technician can contact technical support (STAR) for further assistance in diagnosing what is causing the repeat leaking issue. Please keep us posted on the results.

• 2 months later...

I have an 09 Journey and have had multiple problems. Last week the tensioner pulley completely broke off. About $100 fix (pulley and new belt) but it seemed to be running fine again.

Yesterday while driving, I noticed the steering wheel shaking at about 50mph. When I got home there was a faint burnt rubber smell and light colored smoke coming from under the hood, near the cab on drivers side door. This was only after driving for about 45 minutes total. Entire time yesterday temp gage was right below halfway mark and no engine lights.

Oil was a bit low but no leaking from anywhere that I could see.

I have an 09 Journey and have had multiple problems. Last week the tensioner pulley completely broke off. About $100 fix (pulley and new belt) but it seemed to be running fine again.

Yesterday while driving, I noticed the steering wheel shaking at about 50mph. When I got home there was a faint burnt rubber smell and light colored smoke coming from under the hood, near the cab on drivers side door. This was only after driving for about 45 minutes total. Entire time yesterday temp gage was right below halfway mark and no engine lights.

Not sure what this could be.

Sounds like the left front brake caliper is not releasing. When that happens, it overheats the brake rotor, causing it to warp which will explain your shake at 50 MPH. The smoke and smell are from the overheated brake pad material. Did you recently have a front brake job?

The single click may be the shift lever locking solenoid

which actuated when brake pedal is depressed.

Rubber smell could be from the work done when you had the

pulley replaced,I would revisit the repair installer and have

them double check the work they did.

Not sure what this could be.

Welcome to the forum. Bigstr offers good advise for you. 09's were notorious for brake problems.

I did the work for the pulley myself with a bit of help from the men - confirming pulley & belt placement. Day after this incident I rechecked the serpentine belt to make sure it was all still in alignment as well as in good shape.

Looked around as much as possible for anything burnt/singed near the area the light gray smoke was coming from and still nothing.

When the hubby gets home tonight we're going to start it up and let it run to see if there is any more smoke (need one person to shut off immediately if needed while I check).

Terrible disappointed with the Journey. Replaced the alternator last summer (the fan inside was literally crumbled into pieces), had engine work done in late Jan/early Feb. I hate getting in the car for fear of what's going to go wrong next

I can appreciate your frustration if you have on going

problems and the '09s did have problems in certain areas.

Having said that you must appreciate that it is an '09

possibly on the road since mid '08 and a 6 year old vehicle

is bound to be more prone to what seem never ending problems.

Best of luck on resolving and please when you find a solution

let us know how it was resolved so we can all benefit.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a very similar story. I bought a 2009 dodge journey r/t awd and it had been running great but it hasn't even been a year and I kept smelling something but my husband said it might be the air conditioning with mildew in it. Well, turns out that the PTU unit was bad and mine DID catch on fire! And it ruined the drive shaft. It's at the dealership where I bought it and it's been a month and it still is not fixed. I had it back for 2 hours and black smoke started rolling out of the hood again!!! And now they say the o2 sensor is bad! Could this be because of the fire? Ugh!!!

I have a very similar story. I bought a 2009 dodge journey r/t awd and it had been running great but it hasn't even been a year and I kept smelling something but my husband said it might be the air conditioning with mildew in it. Well, turns out that the PTU unit was bad and mine DID catch on fire! And it ruined the drive shaft. It's at the dealership where I bought it and it's been a month and it still is not fixed. I had it back for 2 hours and black smoke started rolling out of the hood again!!! And now they say the o2 sensor is bad! Could this be because of the fire? Ugh!!!

I am not a mechanic but a bad 02 sensor will give you codes and MIL light

in dash display and have never heard of one starting a fire.

The PTO unit will get very hot when lubrication/clutch assys overheat

and it has been posted before that they can burn up.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

I have a 2010 Dodge Journey RT it had the PTO replaced at about 60,000 miles and then again at about 75,000 miles they changed the rearend at this time and told me that was the cause. My warranty ran out at 100,000 miles I have 123,000 on it now and it has gone out again. I am trying to get Chrysler to help because its the third one to go out in only 60,000 miles. Has any one had to deal with this type of situation and have they had any luck.

Thanks

Larry

I have a 2010 Dodge Journey RT it had the PTO replaced at about 60,000 miles and then again at about 75,000 miles they changed the rearend at this time and told me that was the cause. My warranty ran out at 100,000 miles I have 123,000 on it now and it has gone out again. I am trying to get Chrysler to help because its the third one to go out in only 60,000 miles. Has any one had to deal with this type of situation and have they had any luck.

Thanks

Larry

What is the actual problem with the car? For example, is there a noise, a leak, does the AWD no longer work, etc. ? Is the problem you are now having with your Journey the same problem that originated @ 60K miles? Has your complaint been the same at each instance? Lots of questions, I know, but if you have been having the same problem all along and your problem has not been resolved over the course of these three events, then with proper documentation you have a chance at receiving some goodwill assistance.

• 1 year later...

I had a oil leak on the left side rear axel on my 2010 Dodge Journey R/T AWD. It was replaced under warranty. About 6 months later it started to leak again, so back to the dealership and they replaced it again. Two months later it was leaking again. this time they are saying that they have to replace the drive shaft. ??? Anybody have anything like this happen?