2017 Chrysler Pacifica

hockey_puck

Bye bye Town & Country name, Hello again Pacifica. Will be interesting to see what happens to the Dodge Caravan in Canada. Outsells the Chrysler version minivan by a very large margin.

http://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/detroit-auto-show/2016/01/11/2017-chrysler-pacifica-minivan-monumental-leap/78336620/

I suspect the front end is a sneak preview of the Journey replacement.

H.P.

Just read a long article on this on Autoweek's daily email that I get. FCA is still mum on the Grand Caravan. They could use the rear 1/4 panels from the VW version of the van and then could add Racetrack LEDs on the rear.

All Dodge would have to do is change the plastic liftgate on the DJ, and Racetrack LEDs could be added to it as well.

Edited by dhh3

I'm having mixed feelings on this... if only due to the name change. I didn't like the first Pacifica, but they sold everyone they made.

Styling looks pretty nice on this one, at least from the side view. Haven't seen the rear, so can't comment. The Pentastar engine rocks, as we all know from the one in our DJ's. I hope the fuel economy continues to improve. I owned 3, the last was an '07 and that was always my biggest complaint. A family vehicle and it got such crappy fuel economy. And, one the new one, it looks like the roof slopes down a bit at the back, which might mean that there is lower ceiling height and a smaller opening. Not good for moving stuff, which these things really shine at.

Hopefully it will shine and everyone will love it. 4,999 of my fellow employees are depending on it. :)

This does look great. But I'd like to see more of the mid grade model.

I don't think I'd be shopping for a platinum limited model. Maybe ill go as high as a touring plus.

Going for the luxury treatment can get super expensive. I know the odyssey elite goes for 45k. No way I'd pay that much for a minivan.

The old Pacifica is exactly what this new T&C trying to be. A cross over the minivan/ SUV, with more minivan emphasis. I liked it. It had several issues. The 3.5, the 4 speed, the price, and crazy devaluation.

When they introduced the LX model, it took all pretension of being luxurious, away. And the fact that it was 2 years late.

I doubt the Pacifica replaces the Journey - it's a different vehicle entirely. More seats, more room, more (city/suburban) versatility, etc. It is a minivan, the end.

The Journey may replace the Grand Caravan as a vehicle that is under 22k to haul people around. The Pacifica is supposed to start around 26k.

Fuel economy for the non-hybrid version was reported at 28 mpg with a 3.6L Pentastar and the 9-speed transmission. Hybrid version loses second row stow-n-go seating (you have to put the battery somewhere), but gains 30 miles of gasoline free driving.

The real question - did they keep the functionality of the auto-stick? I use the range select on my '10 T&C for hills, and it is advised to never exceed 5th gear (on the 62TE) while towing. If so, how does that work with a PRND dial? Would they put paddle shifters on a minivan? :lol:

The article I read made no mention of the Grand Caravan. The original Pacifica was based on the minivan platform, and it was basically a crossover (I guess) so I suppose they could make a big crossover out of this. No mention of an AWD version either. When I'm ready to trade my DJ, I will again look at Jeep first. Curious to see what becomes of the DJ. I like my DJ a lot, just the way it is so I may keep it longer than 3 years.

The Journey is already a big crossover. Most other crossover vehicles on the market only have space for 5, and a smaller rear cargo area than the Journey. The Journey has space for 7 (sort of), or a nice big cargo area in back with 5. The next step up in vehicle size is the Durango, which is not as cavernous as a minivan, but still bigger than the Journey.

The new minivan will not be AWD, even with the hybrid model. You'd think the hybrid would be AWD, just routing the cables from the battery (inside the Stow-n-Go in the middle row) to the rear axle, but it's not. It's all time FWD, for every model of Pacifica.

When I say "the Journey may replace the Grand Caravan," I didn't mean "make the Journey into a minivan." I meant, the Journey is already a capable people hauler for moderate sized families on a strict budget (otherwise, they'd buy a minivan, or the Durango - assuming they want to stay with Chrysler). The Journey is almost a direct replacement to the SWB Caravan (see the introduction of the Journey around the same time as the introduction of the 5th generation Chrysler minivan platform and the removal of a SWB option).

Yes, the Journey was made to replace the SWB Caravan and to get Dodge into the car-based SUV market.

The new 2017 Pacifica is on the updated RU minivan platform, and Chrysler is currently preparing a crossover to be made at Windsor Assembly on the RA platform, a derivative of the RU minivan platform. They did the same thing with the original Pacifica crossover (basing it on the minivan platform). The name of this minivan-based crossover is still unknown.

The current RT Grand Caravan will continue for at least one more year alongside the RU Pacifica before meeting the ax. Mum is the word on what, if anything, replaces it.

Marchionne stated this week that the next Journey will be a completely different vehicle. The current Journey is a mid-size FWD crossover with available AWD in 5- and 7-passenger configurations, so who knows at this point what Marchionne is talking about. All we know is a new model was due a couple of years ago, but the Journey is gaining sales every month year-over-year, so I doubt there's any rush to replace it until either sales fall or they get serious about the sporty brand image.

The Durango is basically a Grand Cherokee with a longer wheelbase and a third row of seats. Maybe they will do the same thing with the DJ: take a Cherokee, add a longer wheelbase and a third row. All this conjecture is fun!

Jeep is presently working on a three row SUV, and it will be called Grand Wagoneer, not Commander. This Jeep is supposed to compete with Land Rover/Range Rover, so the Durango may be safe to continue in production.

Edited by dhh3

It looks exactly like a 200. I've got one as a rental currently and like aspects of it (the design is definitely futuristic). However I really hope they don't keep the front seats. They're some of the most uncomfortable I've been in lately. I can't position the lumbar support to go all the way back (basically off) and it's killing my back on my commute.

The Pacifica also seems to share the 200's headlights. They look fantastic but in use they're downright dangerous. I can only see about 40 feet ahead and then there is an immediate cutoff. That's about half what I normally can see in the Journey. If a deer were to cross the road there would be ZERO chance I'd be able to avoid it by the time I saw it.

I'm also bummed there is no AWD version again. That's basically a must here in Colorado and the reason we bought a Journey and not a minivan.

Edited by QuarterSwede

From what I've read in it, the stow n go isn't affected by the AWD, it's the plug in hybrid model, thst eliminates 2nd row sto n go.

No. The AWD was dropped way back when Stow-n-Go was first offered. I think where the third row seat folds into the floor is where the rear differential would be.

You are correct that the batteries for the Hybrid take out the second row Stow-n-Go on the Pacifica, but with the second row folded up against the front seats there is still room for a 4x8 sheet of plywood.

• 2 months later...

We've owned 3-4 minivans. Can't beat them for pure functionality when you have kids. Now that the kids are grown and moving on and the wife has replaced them with a couple of crate trained dogs that have to have their crates with them wherever we go, minivan is starting to look good again. I have no problem having a minivan in my driving stable. As my daily, personal mode of transportation? No. But as a family vehicle, can't beat them.