27 MPG at 77 MPH

snowman9000

I am recently in possession of my late father's 2012 Journey 3.6L. He used to brag that on the way to or from Florida, keeping up with the flow on I-75, he got "27 miles per gallon at 77 miles per hour". I was more interested (to say the least) in him driving 77, but I did think the 27 MPG was suspect.

Well, after he died, I drove it for a week or so around town and country in Florida, and got 23 on the computer. Then on the 1300 mile trip home with it, I did manual calculations. It did indeed get 27 at 77 MPH. The three tanks were 27.x, 25.x, and 26.x, with speeds usually 75-77, and differing winds and terrain. Much of that was with cruise control, which I find hurts MPG a little versus my driving (see below). The computer was telling me I was in the 28-29 range, though. I got the impression that if I would drive 65-70, I could get close to 30 MPG.

I have read that Journeys get poor mileage. I don't know what to say, other than this one is GREAT on gas, IMO. I do drive more fuel-efficiently than most people. I start out smoothly, don't keep wobbling the pedal back and forth, and I coast up to stops and turns as much as I can. I can usually get 5 or 10% better mileage than others in my family. I find that using cruise control is usually worse MPG for me. The Journey is a good coaster, which I like. It doesn't slow down quickly when coasting.

I was impressed that it did not shift down very often to climb hills. Nothing like my Honda Pilot did. It would look at a little overpass, and downshift. Now, I have read that people do not think the Journey transmission is responsive, because it doesn't shift down soon enough. But I like it.

Also, when compared to a Garmin GPS I had on the dash for the whole trip, the speedometer reads 1 MPH fast. I don't know about the odometer, which could affect MPG calculations a wee bit.

Edited by snowman9000

Our DJs do well on mpg with a light foot. If it is driven hard, the efficiency drops significantly. Most auto testers, I believe, really get after the accelerator because there is plenty of power under the hood, and they get mediocre efficiency. Most auto testers also will complain about the lack of downshifting on hills. I, like you, appreciate the computer programming to conservatively downshift. Dodge included the manual shifter for a reason. Head winds and hilly roads will decrease the mpg's significantly. More so than other vehicles, I think. But we have all experienced it, great efficiency with a powerful V-6 when we drive sensibly.

Peace.

The Journey is a good coaster, which I like. It doesn't slow down quickly when coasting.

First, sorry about your father.

As to the rest of your post I agree, and have noticed the Journey is a good coaster. It just keeps rollin' along. The transmission, smooth as butter.

I'm getting decent highway MPG in mine (27-28). Just over 1 month and 1,300 miles and I am very impressed with the Journey. I kind of regret not buying one sooner.

There are always some hidden gems in the car world which can do better than EPA numbers. The Journey gets great mileage for its size. I had planned to sell it, but after driving it, I plan to keep it. Redtomatoman, I think you are right about the professional testers.

Edited by snowman9000

These things get great mileage... I do a lot of in town driving and drive in a fairly aggressive manner, and I hit 24 mpg combined in the summer and 20 mpg combined in the winter like clockwork (keep in mine winter fuel blends and winter tires are eating some mileage). That's way better than my Ram was getting and close to what my wife's Avenger gets.

The SXT I rented to go to Toronto in June managed to get 32, driving at 65 MPH through Ontario (limit is 62 after conversion, I'm not about to test how trigger happy the Ontario highway patrol is with my US license).

My R/T has gotten 30 in the past, 65-70 MPH. Around town I get anywhere from 14.5-17. Michigan, in its infinite wisdom with left turns (you can't turn left in Michigan, at least not within 50 miles of Detroit), has traffic lights every twelve feet on roads with 35-45 MPH speed limits. By the time you get up to speed, you have to stop again. In rush hour, you have to sit through 5+ traffic light cycles every mile. The result? The 14.5 MPG my EVIC is presently reporting. Try using the highway, you say? You mean the one that's gridlocked from the millions of folks that thought they had the same brilliant idea? It takes me 40 minutes to cover 4 miles some nights. Meanwhile, our 2.4L Blacktop SXT Plus never drops below 20 MPG, and although the commute it uses is less harsh, it still sits in traffic frequently.

At 75 on the highway, in this relatively flat region, I get about 24-26 MPH. Not bad for an SUV, but not stellar either. My R/T Charger got that much with two extra cylinders and one fewer cogs. 65-70, I think it can go over 27 reliably. So, city mileage SUCKs if you have the 3.6L version. Highway mileage is pretty respectable for what it is, if you aren't re-enacting the storm-drain scene from the Nick Cage remake of Gone in 60 Seconds.

Could be worse. The Grand Cherokee I'd like to have as a daily that I can go offroading with gets an EPA estimated 21 MPG on the highway. 2004 Overland. Even Liberty got 21 max through 2012, and Grand Cherokee stuck to 21 until recently as well.

Mine gets 29 -32 . My biggest drive is once a week 51 miles each to go go bowling (Texas is big and nothing is close by) 75 to 70 mph the whole way via interstate and toll roads....my only complaint is the truck really seems to be affect by the the big rigs , I get quite a bit of buffeting when behind them .

Around town short trips get 24 to 27 . Impressed with the mileage . My girl friend has a GMC Terrain same basic engine and it gets 23 at best . Not a smooth shifter either

Mine you can hardly tell its shifts unless you are watching the tach, the only time I feel it shift is coming to a stop and it drops down in to first ....

Amazing mileage from this vehicle. My previous car was a 2006 Sebring sedan with a 2.7L V6 and this truck has more HP, faster acceleration, and still gets better gas mileage lol this vehicle is so advanced compared to my 06 which had power locks as an advanced feature. Hahaha I loved that car and was sad when it died until now and I've only owned this 2016 journey for 1 month

• 1 month later...

In mountainy Colorado it fairs worse but it does love to go fast. It's an absolutely beast on the highway even going up 1000ft quick elevations and I LOVE that. I think I've gotten it up to 23 on the highway. That's only 45 miles though. We're taking a 12 hour drive to Arizona next month and I'll definitely be eyeing the efficiency in route.

In mountainy Colorado it fairs worse but it does love to go fast. It's an absolutely beast on the highway even going up 1000ft quick elevations and I LOVE that. I think I've gotten it up to 23 on the highway. That's only 45 miles though. We're taking a 12 hour drive to Arizona next month and I'll definitely be eyeing the efficiency in route.

I live at 7000 feet elevation in NM and I also fare worse. The winds are strong here, the terrain is hilly, I always have roof cargo, and I use cruise control. I can get 25 mpg reliably at 75 mph if I drive without cruise control and pay attention to efficiency. Add a head wind, roof cargo, or an overall uphill drive and mpg suffers at 75 mph. Driving at 65 mph, I can reliably get 27-30 mpg. The speed limits here are generally 75 mph, though. I like to get good gas mileage, but I love the cargo room and power. I do wish our DJs had more power from 75-100mph. Sounds fast, but with speed limits at 75, people drive fast. If I need to get around someone in a hurry, short bursts of 75-90 or 100 is not that uncommon. That doesn't help gas mileage, either. Ha!

I also wonder if higher elevation has something to do with it. Maybe the computer runs a little leaner at higher elevation. Not sure. I do most of my driving at elevations of 5000 to 7000 feet.

Peace.

I live at 7000 feet elevation in NM and I also fare worse. The winds are strong here, the terrain is hilly, I always have roof cargo, and I use cruise control. I can get 25 mpg reliably at 75 mph if I drive without cruise control and pay attention to efficiency. Add a head wind, roof cargo, or an overall uphill drive and mpg suffers at 75 mph. Driving at 65 mph, I can reliably get 27-30 mpg. The speed limits here are generally 75 mph, though. I like to get good gas mileage, but I love the cargo room and power. I do wish our DJs had more power from 75-100mph. Sounds fast, but with speed limits at 75, people drive fast. If I need to get around someone in a hurry, short bursts of 75-90 or 100 is not that uncommon. That doesn't help gas mileage, either. Ha!

I also wonder if higher elevation has something to do with it. Maybe the computer runs a little leaner at higher elevation. Not sure. I do most of my driving at elevations of 5000 to 7000 feet.

Peace.

I'm at 6500 and up or down 1000ft doesn't seem to affect power. Efficiency, maybe? I've yet to take it up Pikes Peak to see what a 14er will do. Lol. Edited by QuarterSwede

• 6 months later...

I did 28+ mpg on the 150 mile trip home with the 2012 SXT, as indicated by the computer traveling 72-73mph. Used cruise control but no drafting or anything special.  Seems like pretty good mileage using E10 for a vehicle rated 25mpg highway.

• 2 years later...

I drove my 2015 AWD Limited to my parents house today.  Was easy on the gas, set my cruise at 58 and when I finished my 140 mile trip I averaged 31.8.  I had the wind with me on the way over and it pretty much was almost calm on the way home.  Pretty stoked.  Anybody know how much ethanol effects MPG on these?