New to the Mopar family

UltraNutZ

Bought a 2016 300s and a 2016 Journey Crossroad last weekend. I've been around Harley and Duramax forums for years but never here. So I came searching for the answer to something that got by both the wife and I at purchase with her Journey and that was automatic headlights. This should be a standard feature even on bicycles these days if you ask me. Found the info I needed here and parts are already sitting on my counter, I just need to make time for dealer visit to enable the feature.

Anyways, hello to all from Cypress, TX

Welcome to the forum. When I asked my Dealer about auto lights, he told me that they would have to take out 1/2 of the dash to run the wire from the sensor to the switch. Let me know what you find out.

I do have a wire hanging from the top of the dash to behind the radio. No one knows what it is. It would be nice if it was the wire from the sensor that goes to the light switch!

Welcome to the forum. When I asked my Dealer about auto lights, he told me that they would have to take out 1/2 of the dash to run the wire from the sensor to the switch. Let me know what you find out.

I do have a wire hanging from the top of the dash to behind the radio. No one knows what it is. It would be nice if it was the wire from the sensor that goes to the light switch!

not sure what model and year you have but I have the 2016 Crossroad. I was told by my local dealer parts guy where to go buy the parts for less than 1/2 the cost of the dealer, switch and light sensor for dash. Both totaled $72 shipped to my door. I was also told by their lead mechanic that the wiring for the sensor is already there and tied up at the steering column and simply needs to be strung to the center of the dash. When I get into it, I will certainly snap a few pics for you guys. I'll be posting a question in some section shortly about Auto Enginuity.

Edited by UltraNutZ

2014 Crossroad. Purchased new last summer. If that wire is coming from the sensor, all I need is the switch! I'll be waiting to see what you find.

actually it's the other way around. Seems the wiring is there from the electrical system and ecm but you still need the sensor and you need to run that existing wire to the sensor you install in the dash. At least that's the way it was explained to me. If it turns out I don't need the sensor then still better to have it on hand and not need it, than to need it and not have it. Hopefully this weekend I'll be able to pull it apart and check it out.

Edited by UltraNutZ

ok so I couldn't stand it (the wait I mean). The wife just got home and I was standing in the garage with switch in hand.

1. it takes absolutely NO effort to get switch out of dash. Simply grab knob and wiggle towards you and it will come out with the trim ring attached.
  2. Once out, push in two little indents to release ring from switch and slide apart
  3. look at end of plug and slide keeper towards plug while pulling on wires and it will release the wiring plug
  4. put ring on new switch (only goes on one way)
  5. plug in new switch
  6. press switch back into dash opening

Surprise for me - the dash switch was already installed however it was a different part # than the one I was told by the parts guy to get. What was in there was part # 68230113AB and what I ordered/received was part # 68230114AB so being 1 number off I'm assuming it's simply a newer model with some sort of revision.

Anyways I replace the switch as well, very small flat blade pops it right out with scratching anything up.

get it all back together, auto works however the light sensing piece of it does not so the sec the ign is turned on the lights are on and stay on until ign turned off. Also I have no option in the menu to adjust the setting of "headlights with wipers" as I do on my 300s. I assume this is the programming piece of it.

Stock sensor and wiring

20151214_164635.jpg?dl=0

stock wiring plug - this is what it looks like

20151214_164649.jpg?dl=0

stock retainer ring for headlamp switch

20151214_164838.jpg?dl=0

replacement switch

20151214_164845.jpg?dl=0

stock switch

20151214_164904.jpg?dl=0

switches together

20151214_164856.jpg?dl=0

stock sensor

20151214_170901.jpg?dl=0

replacement sensor

20151214_170851.jpg?dl=0

8.4 settings display

20151214_172046.jpg?dl=0

Edited by UltraNutZ

The programming piece I'm trying to determine which way I'm going with that. Here's my thought process.

Dealer wants $125 per programming "session" and I'm sure having 2 new '16 model vehicles I'll find something else to turn on or off

I found a tool called AutoEnginuity with the domestic (GM/FORD/MOPAR) bundle for around $750. I also have a cruise control to install in my son's 09 Cobalt which is going to require a trip to the chevy dealer @ $100 to turn the cruise option on. So I'm thinking about buying this thing but I'd really like to see some updated reviews on it instead of what I am finding that's 3+ years old.

Edited by UltraNutZ

Do you have another dealer nearby? That seems a little higher than I've seen.

Also, if you just bought 2 vehicles from the same dealer, I would contact the sales manager and tell him you had to add something to the vehicle and would like a courtesy update. Seems like an hour of labor could be comp'd pretty easily...especially since it won't take anywhere near that long to do. Butter him/her up a little; I bet it works.

Did the stock harness just plug into the new sensor? Did the stock harness plug into the new switch? Does the Dealer programming make the "auto" function work properly? Like I said, there is a wire hanging down from the top of the dash to behind the radio. No one seems to know what it is. You mentioned a wire taped to the steering column. Did you have to use it? If so, where did you plug it in? Does a harness (wire) have to go between the new switch and the new sensor?

I'll get my trailer lights and auto lights turned on at the same time, if I can get this to work.

Thank you for all your effort.

Edited by dhh3

Did the stock harness just plug into the new sensor? Did the stock harness plug into the new switch? Does the Dealer programming make the "auto" function work properly? Like I said, there is a wire hanging down from the top of the dash to behind the radio. No one seems to know what it is. You mentioned a wire taped to the steering column. Did you have to use it? If so, where did you plug it in? Does a harness (wire) have to go between the new switch and the new sensor?

I'll get my trailer lights and auto lights turned on at the same time, if I can get this to work.

Thank you for all your effort.

stock harness that was already plugged into the old sensor plugged right into the new sensor - no mods whatsoever

stock harness that was plugged into old headlight switch plugged right into the new switch - no mods whatsoever

dealer programming - I don't know yet. haven't been by there yet

look at the wiring colors, number of pins and compare it to the pic I posted above - if it looks like a duck, smells like a duck, walks like a duck - it's probably a duck. :-)

steering column wiring - this is what I was told was the location of the wiring harness for those that did not have the sensor installed. Mine had the sensor installed so didn't have to take anything else apart or run other wires.

in between wire harness - nope not that I'm aware of.

trailer lights? you really have to go to the dealer to have the trailer lights turned on as an option?

I contacted my sales lady, she's taking care of getting them to flip the switch on the auto headlights. I'll go by there either late tomorrow afternoon or Friday afternoon. I'll certainly let you know

Edited by UltraNutZ

so went by the dealer this morning and guess what. they hadn't a clue how to turn the auto headlights on. Looked up part #s, said they were correct and installed correctly but they could not find auto headlamp option anywhere in the system. I asked if I could go back and have a look since I'm vaguely familiar with the starscan tool, 26 years IT, and very familiar with programming HD ECMs; nope.. wouldn't have anything of it; territorial thing I guess. They sent an email to Mopar with all the particulars to find out what the deal is. In the mean time, with the discovered incompetency level within service at the dealer on my very first visit, the AutoEnginuity piece is looking more and more appealing. If I don't get some sort of positive response this week I'll but the AE piece and hope it works as described.

Edited by UltraNutZ

stock harness that was already plugged into the old sensor plugged right into the new sensor - no mods whatsoever

stock harness that was plugged into old headlight switch plugged right into the new switch - no mods whatsoever

dealer programming - I don't know yet. haven't been by there yet

look at the wiring colors, number of pins and compare it to the pic I posted above - if it looks like a duck, smells like a duck, walks like a duck - it's probably a duck. :-)

steering column wiring - this is what I was told was the location of the wiring harness for those that did not have the sensor installed. Mine had the sensor installed so didn't have to take anything else apart or run other wires.

in between wire harness - nope not that I'm aware of.

trailer lights? you really have to go to the dealer to have the trailer lights turned on as an option?

I contacted my sales lady, she's taking care of getting them to flip the switch on the auto headlights. I'll go by there either late tomorrow afternoon or Friday afternoon. I'll certainly let you know

As far as the Trailer Tow Group in the DJ: there is a harness in place that runs from the front, and terminates behind the spare tire with a blue plug in it. And, an oil cooler on the engine. Mine has both of these. You need a harness that needs to be plugged into this existing harness which terminates with a 4-pin connector. This harness has a bunch of christmas tree retainers and relays on it! You need to remove the rear bumper to push the retainers into existing holes in the back of the car, according to the directions. And, you need to buy and install a hitch. Since I backed into a truck which was NOT in the view of my camera, I crunched my bumper. No metal damage. I had the body shop install the harness since they had the bumper off. Now, all I need is to have the harness (trailer lights) activated.

Trailer harness has to be added to the build sheet/sales code as were my DRLs. I'm guessing Auto lights has to be added in the same fashion.

I, also, have a sensor in the dash, the same PT # as your original. I just went out and checked. My sensor is plugged in! LOL. So, that is not the mystery wire! But, it only has 3 pins and there are 4 wires in the harness. Does the new sensor have 4 pins? I think that the sensor has something to do with the Auto HVAC. The humidity sensor is stuck to the windshield near the rear view mirror.

I was thinking that a harness/wire had to run between the sensor and the light switch. That is what I was hoping that wire is hanging back behind the dash. Obviously, nothing needs to run between the sensor and light switch.

There is another thread on the forum that lists the part numbers for the 3 sensors that are available, and what their individual functions are. Do you have auto HVAC? I have searched for an hour looking for it, but I can not find it.

Edited by dhh3

Yup, there are 4 wires but only 3 pins with my original sensor.. I'll bet that the sensor for the Auto function has 4 pins. Possibly the same with the light switch. I found both the sensor and switch by doing a Google search of both part numbers. Lots of hits and lots of cheap prices. As soon as you get yours to function properly (Adding Sales Code and Activating it), I will buy the parts and finally get mine done.

Thank you very much for all of your effort. My 2006 Jeep Commander had auto headlights! Come on, Dodge!

Sorry to burst your bubble. In 2014, there was only one Crossroad. My base price was $24,995. I have Leather Seats, with the mesh inserts (std. on Crossroad Plus) and all the leather on the doors, console and shifter; all stitched with grey thread. I believe that I have everything that yours does, except rear DVD and of course no auto lights! My 8.4 is non nav and I like it that way. If I need nav, I use my iPad Air. I found a mount for it that clips on the center vents. When hooked via the USB, Siri shuts down the speakers when calling out directions. And I do not have the Factory Alpine system: I built my own! My only options were V6, 7 passenger, and Customer Preferred Package 28V, whatever that is. Mine is also FWD. With destination, sticker price: $29,190. Of course I did not pay that! Oh, and I bought it for the color! First time buying a car just for the color! There may be other options I'm not aware of. like single push passenger side window, etc.

I have no idea why Dodge did this. To get the stitched leather on the doors you have to buy the optional leather package for almost a grand!

I ordered the switch and sensor. Stay tuned!

Edited by dhh3