Why no towing on dolly for FWD?

snowman9000

Dodge says no 2012 Journey can be towed with the front wheels on a tow dolly. I can't see why not on the front wheel drive version. Does anyone know why this would be?

Edit to add: I looked at other years' manuals online. The 2013 reads the same as 2012. But in 2014 & 2015, using a tow dolly is allowed on FWD models. Is there any pertinent change to the Journey starting in 2014?

Edit to add, see one of my posts below for the contradicting info in the manual. I was looking at recreational towing, which seems to say No.

Edited by snowman9000

This is what I'm looking at from the 2012 manual. I'm taking it literally, of course. I'll go look at the emergency towing section next.

Screen%252520Shot%2525202015-12-14%25252

EDIT TO ADD. Here is the emergency towing, where as posted by 11JourneyBama above, it's okay to tow with the front wheels on a dolly. I had not looked at that section. I am wanting to tow it behind a motorhome, and always look at "recreational towing" in an owners manual. So I feel good now. :)

Screen%252520Shot%2525202015-12-14%25252

Edited by snowman9000

• 3 weeks later...

After a few weeks of waiting, here is Chrysler's reply:

Thank you for contacting the Chrysler Customer Assistance Center.

Chrysler recommends you follow the guidelines stated in your owners
manual for your 2012 Dodge Journey, to avoid causing damage to the
vehicle, and possibly voiding the factory warranty.
The best resource for your question is the Service & Parts Department of
your local Dodge dealership. They can discuss any towing alternatives
you may have. We cannot provide technical assistance information
regarding any design changes to the vehicle via email.

Useless.

The only reason a FWD vehicle could not be dolly'd is if it was a vehicle with low ground clearance. My FWD 300M Special has lowering springs on it from the factory, along with factory ground effects. Putting it on a dolly would damage the front fascia from catching the dolly, and damage the rear fascia and exhaust system from any significant bumps in the road. The Journey, however, is not low ground clearance. so FWD models can be dolly'd all day long. My Special has to be flat-bedded and that's what I've used the few times I needed it to be transported somewhere.

• 7 months later...

Interesting read. I specifically purchased our 2016 Journey in FWD so we could Dolly it behind out Motorhome. We told the Dodge Dealer this after the salesman tried to get us into a more dressed up model that was AWD. We repeatedly asked and were told it was no problem to dolly tow. We replaced a 2012 Kia Sorento with the Journey and it was also FWD. Only thing I have noticed is that the traction control and ABS have their trouble lights lit after dolly towing. A problem we only had with the Kia when the ignition was accidentally left on. The lights all go out within 5 minutes of driving so I am assuming the rear wheel sensors are always reading even when off and the difference between front and rear readings causing the code trip. Why the antilock/ ABS is active with the ignition off is beyond me but it is what it is.

IMG_20160724_1814067_rewind.jpg

Edited by pzookey
Add picture.

28 minutes ago, Journeyman425 said:

Love that vintage Travco!

Thank You. We call her Nessie. Just found it in My manual on Page 84. FWD Journey is tow able on a Dolly behind a motor home front wheels up. I will no longer worry about that. Now just to figure out why the ABS/ traction control MILs light up after doing it.