New safety recall recieved in mail yesterday

I got a safety recal form from dodge yesterday concerning the abs module on certain vehicles manufactured from 2012-2015

notification code r61

already got an appt for warranty work on the oil pressure sensor throwing a cel, will have em look at it than

Recall R61 was just announced on Dec. 7. This is a copy of the interim letter sent to owners of affected Journeys. I don't know what part(s) will be required to make the repair yet..that has not yet been announced:

IMPORTANT SAFETY RECALL R61 / NHTSA 15V-675 This notice applies to your vehicle (VIN: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx).
This interim notification letter is sent to you in accordance with the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act.

Dear: (Name) FCA has decided that a defect, which relates to motor vehicle safety, exists in certain 2012 through 2015 model year Dodge Journey vehicles.
The problem is... Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) control module on your vehicle may have a ground wire eyelet on the right front shock tower that allows water to wick through the ground wire case and into the ABS module. Moisture in the ABS module could disable the ABS and/or Electronic Stability Control (ESC) system(s). The lack of a functioning ABS and/or ESC system(s) could change the braking and/or handling characteristics of the vehicle and cause a crash without warning.

What your dealer will do:

FCA intends to repair your vehicle free of charge (parts and labor). However, the parts required to provide a permanent remedy for this condition are currently not available. FCA is making every effort to obtain these parts as quickly as possible. FCA will contact you again by mail, with a follow-up recall notice, when the remedy parts are available. What you must do to ensure your safety... Once you receive your follow-up notice in the mail, simply contact your Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge, or RAM dealer right away to schedule a service appointment. If you need help... If you have questions or concerns which your dealer is unable to resolve, please contact the FCA Recall Assistance Center at 1-800-853-1403.
Please help us update our records by filling out the attached prepaid postcard if any of the conditions listed on the card apply to you or your vehicle. If you have further questions go to recalls.mopar.com. If you have already experienced this specific condition and have paid to have it repaired, you may visit www.fcarecallreimbursement.com to submit your reimbursement request online or you can mail your original receipts and proof of payment to the following address for reimbursement consideration: FCA Customer Assistance, P.O. Box 21-8004, Auburn Hills, MI 48321-8007, Attention: Recall Reimbursement. Once we receive and verify the required documents, reimbursement will be sent to you within 60 days. If you’ve had previous repairs and/or reimbursement you may still need to have the recall repair performed on your vehicle.

If your dealer fails or is unable to remedy this defect without charge and within a reasonable time, you may submit a written complaint to the Administrator, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 1200 New Jersey Ave., S.E., Washington, DC 20590, or you can call the toll-free Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to safercar.gov. We're sorry for any inconvenience, but we are sincerely concerned about your safety. Thank you for your attention to this important matter. Customer Services / Field Operations FCA US LLC

Note to lessors receiving this recall: Federal regulation requires that you forward this recall notice to the lessee within 10 days.

^^ JM. Have you seen ABS issues in 2011 models that are somewhat similar to this? My ABS light comes on for a few days at a time and goes off. It seems random.

I have not. However, your issue sounds more to me like an intermittent ABS wheel speed sensor. If there is a loss if signal from one or more wheel speed sensors, it will trigger an ABS light which will go off once the sensor begins to read the wheel speed again. There should be a stored fault code in the ABS module. If the car is scanned with the light on it will tell what area the problem lies In.

i just received my notice today, but had problems last winter with anti locks and all wheel drive. My wife was in a fender bender last winter because of it, but I can't prove it was because of it.

Last winter our 14 crossroad would not have all wheel drive or anti lock brakes at times without warning. no messages in message center, but would only spin front wheels. It seemed like a moisture, ice problem to me, but the dealer blamed it on the stock tires. It only had 10,000 miles on it then.

If anyone has not received this letter, but is curious to know if they may be affected by this (or any other) recall, you can punch in your VIN to check here: http://recalls.mopar.com/.

All recalls are VIN-specific.

I guess I won!

(in that my VIN did not result in a hit)

Happy Days!

:yahoo:

Edited by BlindSquirrel

Got mine 2 days ago, but all it really says is "we don't have parts, we'll get back to you when we do"...

Yes. To all those rushing to schedule an appt. , read the notice. It says they will contact you when the parts are in. Will do you no good to take it in before.

There is no need to go to your dealer unless you have an ABS light on. The recall campaign itself has not yet been initiated; only the interim notices have been sent advising you that there will be a recall.

So if the lights don't come on, don't bother going to the dealer for the recall?

So if the lights don't come on, don't bother going to the dealer for the recall?

Not unless you get the recall notice. If you do get the notice, follow the instructions. Whether or not you decide to do it is entirely a personal choice.

Edited by jkeaton

What I meant was don't schedule an appointment yet to have the recall work done - there are no parts avaialble yet or any technician instructions posted yet for the repair procedure. However, if your Journey has an ABS light on, you can schedule it for repair, since it could be on for a wide variety of reasons besides recall-related ones. Once the recall parts and procedures become available, a follow-up recall letter will be sent to you, at which point you may then schedule an appointment to have the recall work done.

I visited my Dealer today to talk about Auto Headlights. They said that as long as I was there they would perform the Recall, since they received the repair parts. The fix requires removing the ground wire from the strut tower, spraying the ground wire with lithium grease (water repellent) and sliding on a "heat tube" and shrinking it to encase the lithium grease. Wow. A 2 page thread for this. We should all be ashamed.

Edited by dhh3