DTE value changed

Mike Koppler

Hi, I have 2013 Dodge journey r/t fwd and I've noticed tonight my DTE has changed. Before when I filled up the tank it would say 408 miles until empty, but tonight it was telling me 385. How could I of lost 20 miles like that?

I did notice my MPG has went down from a average of 24 to about 19. That I kind of figured from the refineries switching to winter blend. But the other has me more puzzled.

Actually, while the average MPG/L/100 km values are longer term averages (I suspect based on the last 1000 miles or km), the DTE is driven by a much different algorithm, based on your current fuel usage projected over the presumed amount of fuel in your tank. Resetting the MPG value doesn't make any difference to the calculation.

Temperature affects mileage, as does how hard you drive. If you were on the highway on cruise and get into stop-and-go traffic you will see very large changes in the DTE reading over relatively short distances.

Big deal . . . . it doesn't mean anything, because if you are approaching a long downhill slope the range will increase hugely, and if you have to accelerate from red lights up the streets of San Francisco it will drop just as quickly.

Just fill it up when the needle starts getting close to that big 'E'.

Edited by bramfrank

Actually, while the average MPG/L/100 km values are longer term averages (I suspect based on the last 1000 miles or km), the DTE is driven by a much different algorithm, based on your current fuel usage projected over the presumed amount of fuel in your tank. Resetting the MPG value doesn't make any difference to the calculation.

Temperature affects mileage, as does how hard you drive. If you were on the highway on cruise and get into stop-and-go traffic you will see very large changes in the DTE reading over relatively short distances.

Big deal . . . . it doesn't mean anything, because if you are approaching a long downhill slope the range will increase hugely, and if you have to accelerate from red lights up the streets of San Francisco it will drop just as quickly.

Just fill it up when the needle starts getting close to that big 'E'.

This^^^

I have switched to that display a couple times when pushing it and it changes constantly based on driving conditions.

"Resetting the MPG value doesn't make any difference to the calculation."

That's not what I was referring to , it's just that if you reset the value the

incremental change in the DTE takes a longer period of driving to reflect

better number.

The DTE quickly reflects poor driving habits.

I'd love to know how DTE is calculated. I get about 21-22 mpg (depends on the tank - but I do mostly short trips, with a few 25+ minute drives every week, so a single tank usually lasts me 3 weeks). If my first drive after filling the tank is highway, the first 30-50 (and I've even seen it go the first 100) miles on a new tank, the DTE doesn't change, or increases. I reset the fuel economy readout every time I fill the tank.

And if you don't normally drive on highways, the average over the previous however many miles travelled (I suspect about 25) starts to go up and your DTE will either rise (I've seen it go from 620 km after I tank up after I've spent a while driving in town to well over 700 if I then head out on to a level highway drive with the cruise set for about 110 kph) it then starts creeping down with fuel consumption when the immediate average stabilises. They need the shorter average so that the DTE doesn't jump all over the place. They use a longer average for their MPG calculations and they have no real averaging for the instantaneous economy display.

In any case it doesn't matter much because none of these values is generated by lab grade instruments, they are intended to be used as guides.

Edited by bramfrank